PDA

View Full Version : Moved to Texas. No-Longer-In-Possession Form?

Socal858
07-28-2008, 4:42 PM
i moved to texas two weeks ago and am establishing residency.

as far as handguns go, i want to unregister them CA DOJ BOF's records. i dont think i immediately intend on selling any of them, maybe except for my p225.

so what do i do? check off the box that says OTHER and write in something about moving in texas?

bohoki
07-28-2008, 4:47 PM
why bother?

keep them registered in case you ever move back

also if they are ever stolen they may be recovered and returned with help from the registry

Socal858
07-28-2008, 4:52 PM
i might wanna get rid of some of them. i also dont like the idea that im on the registry

HowardW56
07-28-2008, 4:57 PM
i might wanna get rid of some of them. i also dont like the idea that im on the registry

AS I understand it, you're on there forever. If you send in a no-longer-in-possession form, they just add a enty that you reported that you are no longer in posession of the gun.

Telperion
07-28-2008, 6:01 PM
I believe the NLIP form means exactly that, and you are still in possession. I understand not wanting to be in a registry, but understand that California sure doesn't care if you LEAVE the state with guns.

Socal858
07-28-2008, 6:33 PM
strange double tap

Socal858
07-28-2008, 6:34 PM
I believe the NLIP form means exactly that, and you are still in possession. I understand not wanting to be in a registry, but understand that California sure doesn't care if you LEAVE the state with guns.

well lets say i sell a pistol face to face to hank hill, a texas resident legally eligible for firearms ownership. hank hill sells the pistol to dale gribble, another texas resident legally eligible for firearms ownership. dale gribble sells it to boomhauer, also legally eligible.

then boomhauer's house gets broken into and the hoodlums do bad things with the handgun that had left my hands a billion times.

then i move back to southern california and the DOJ BOF for one of their odd reasons decides to cornhole me.

you get the idea.

for those legal experts, what do i write? FTF sale in accordance with local laws? how do i handle this on the paperwork?

BillCA
07-28-2008, 6:39 PM
then i move back to southern california and the DOJ BOF for one of their odd reasons decides to cornhole me.

you get the idea.

for those legal experts, what do i write? FTF sale in accordance with local laws? obviously DOJ's paperwork is quite flawed and not all the way

Very simple. When you sell to Hank Hill, you make out a bill of sale with his info on it and have him sign it. Keep good records. If Danny Dirtbag steals it from Boomhauer and gets caught (we'll presume he's caught in CA) the gun turns up in your name. When authorities come to ask you about it, you tell them you sold it and dig up your bill of sale. Now they'll go bother Hank Hill.

hoffmang
07-28-2008, 7:03 PM
When you sell a handgun listed in AFS while a resident of another state here is what you do. Check the "Other" box on the NLIP form and state something like:

"No longer a California resident. Sold in compliance with [INSERT STATE NAME] law."

-Gene

Socal858
07-28-2008, 7:37 PM
When you sell a handgun listed in AFS while a resident of another state here is what you do. Check the "Other" box on the NLIP form and state something like:

"No longer a California resident. Sold in compliance with [INSERT STATE NAME] law."

-Gene

Thanks Gene!

hawk1
07-28-2008, 7:56 PM
Ok, so how does it feel now that you have escaped the evil clutches of California? No sugar coating either, we can take it...

Really though, I may not be too far behind you. Last month we looked down in Tyler for a house. The one thing I still can't believe is how clean the streets are in Dallas (as well as the other cities in Texas) and the lack of graffiti.
Hope everything goes well for you.

Socal858
07-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Ok, so how does it feel now that you have escaped the evil clutches of California? No sugar coating either, we can take it...

Really though, I may not be too far behind you. Last month we looked down in Tyler for a house. The one thing I still can't believe is how clean the streets are in Dallas (as well as the other cities in Texas) and the lack of graffiti.
Hope everything goes well for you.

it feels a little different yeah. but i didnt come out here for the hicaps & mag dropping so it doesnt amuse me too much. my m4gery sleeps below my bed with 2 colt/hartford usgi mags. havent touched it in 2 weeks. havent even bought any new guns yet, i got too much else to deal wtih.

honestly regarding the pace of life, lack of stuff to do, and hte lack of decent food in the suburban jungle, id rather be back in socal.

let me know if you have any questions regarding areas around here and how they are. i grew up in dfw as well and know most of it. (no clue about fort worth though lol)

Glock30
07-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Welcome to Texas, you will enjoy it!

ar15barrels
07-30-2008, 11:31 PM
well lets say i sell a pistol face to face to hank hill, a texas resident legally eligible for firearms ownership. hank hill sells the pistol to dale gribble, another texas resident legally eligible for firearms ownership. dale gribble sells it to boomhauer, also legally eligible.

I'd say it's pretty cool that you live on the same street with all the King of the Hill guys. :D