PDA

View Full Version : Question for the legal experts there

223addict
07-28-2008, 12:39 PM
One of my out of state of my customers recently approached me to quote a project for building an entire prototype firearm in 17-4 stainless steel using one of my DMLS machines (here's a link for those who don't know what DMLS is: http://www.forecast3d.com/dmls/index.html). From what I can tell, it appears to be everything needed to make a fully functional gun. Can I legally build this without any sort of FFL?

singleshotman
07-28-2008, 1:24 PM
Not unless you have a Manufacturers FFL you can't, i could build one for myself, but not for anyone else.Forget it unless you want serious jail time, i've read of some Gunsmith's building guns(.22's) instead of repairing them and getting into serious trouble with the ATF.

Shane916
07-28-2008, 1:38 PM
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#a6

AJAX22
07-28-2008, 1:42 PM
You technicaly could help him build it himself (he woud have to run the machines and be physically present during the entire process)

but its not worth the risk IMHO.

Also I'm not entierly sure that DMLS sintered metal will stand up to the sort of pressure/strain that most firearm designs are put through.

I'd be VERY worried that even if you didn't get in trouble for the actual manufacturing issues, the liability of someone putting it togeather and having it blow up in their hand/eyes would make me not want to get involved.

what sort of design derivitive is it?

223addict
07-28-2008, 2:03 PM
Technically I'd only be supplying the parts. I wouldn't fit or assemble anything. The finished product would be a revolver. I've built various other parts for this customer before. I've built several parts for vendors on this forum as well. I recently built a bolt carrier for an MP5 clone that was to be used in a functional prototype. My only concern with bidding on this project is that I'd be building everything needed to make this gun function.

Scotty
07-28-2008, 2:16 PM
The only item that is controlled is the receiver. You can build all the other parts. As far as the receiver is concerned, you might be able to supply one that is 80% finish and still be legit.

bwiese
07-28-2008, 3:35 PM
Generally/broadly speaking,

- you could build the firearm for yourself.

- if he were to want to acquire the firearm he should be doing the work/standing by you 100% of the time (at least on the receiver portion).
You could make other supplmental parts and ship those to him no problem.

Something smells bad crossing state lines here. Why can't he find a machine shop in his own state? Something perhaps smells a bit bad here, but he could be a noob.

223addict
07-29-2008, 8:54 AM
Generally/broadly speaking,

- you could build the firearm for yourself.

- if he were to want to acquire the firearm he should be doing the work/standing by you 100% of the time (at least on the receiver portion).
You could make other supplmental parts and ship those to him no problem.

Something smells bad crossing state lines here. Why can't he find a machine shop in his own state? Something perhaps smells a bit bad here, but he could be a noob.

Last I checked - there was only 2 other shops in the US who offered DMLS services and I have the only one on the west coast. It's a relatively new process and I can build geometries that a machine shop can't.

megavolt121
07-29-2008, 9:20 AM
Have you given thought to getting a Type07 FFL? If its not too hard in your area, its only $150 with the ATF for 3 years.

packnrat
07-29-2008, 9:50 AM
carefull you are walking a very thin wire,

and it is a loooong drop.

please read up and study all the laws

your state,

buyers state,

and the feds.

do a back ground check on the buyer?

credit check?

life check?

is he for real?

or is he being controled by someone else in the back ground?

watch your six here.

this draws a big red flag.

build him a 79.999% reciver, and you can buld all the rest your self,
he must finish the reciver.

:eek: