PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to Cali

Trempel
07-28-2008, 10:12 AM
In a couple of months, I'll be visiting San Francisco from out of state. It'll be a road trip, and I'm planning on bringing a pistol with me. I obviously already know about the mag capacity limitations and AW laws, but I'm wondering if there's any extra BS that you guys have to deal with. Any new restrictions passed since 2006, state or city specific?

Decoligny
07-28-2008, 10:37 AM
In a couple of months, I'll be visiting San Francisco from out of state. It'll be a road trip, and I'm planning on bringing a pistol with me. I obviously already know about the mag capacity limitations and AW laws, but I'm wondering if there's any extra BS that you guys have to deal with. Any new restrictions passed since 2006, state or city specific?

The following is based on the assumption that you don't hold a California License to Conceal.

Don't carry it loaded. If you are going to carry it in the cab of the vehicle it must be in plain sight and not loaded. If you choose to do this you must avoid "school zones", which in CA means 1,000 feet from K-12 school property. If you knowingly enter a school zone with a firearm that isn't locked in a secure case, then it is a felony.

The best bet is to carry it in a locking case unloaded with the magazines in the same case. This will meet CA Penal Code requirements. You can even carry the locked case on your lap an still be legal.

If you are the paranoid type, then lock it in a case in the trunk, unloaded, with the ammunition seperated from the gun. This is by no means a legal requirement, but some people think it is. That may include an occasional LEO.

singleshotman
07-28-2008, 1:15 PM
I think you're wrong about leaving it in plain sight, i read an article in the American Rifleman about an out of state-driver who recieved a ticket for speeding and the officer saw the pistol and confisicated it. This happened a long-time ago(1968 i believe) but i douth thing's are any better now.Leave it home or buy a locked case.

Glock22Fan
07-28-2008, 1:48 PM
I think you're wrong about leaving it in plain sight, i read an article in the American Rifleman about an out of state-driver who recieved a ticket for speeding and the officer saw the pistol and confisicated it. This happened a long-time ago(1968 i believe) but i douth thing's are any better now.Leave it home or buy a locked case.

No, you're wrong, much like you were when you gratuitously insulted me (in another post) by likening hunters to Elmer Fudd.

Whether all LEO's know the law on this, and whether it is wise to carry an openly displayed unloaded pistol like this because some LEO might give you a hard time, it is perfectly legal except in a school zone.

Talking of Elmer Fudd, your own grammer and spell checking could use some attention. Yes, we sometimes get typos, but that's plain wrong and lazy.

singleshotman
07-28-2008, 2:01 PM
I'M NOT WRONG, i have an extremly good memory, however you are correct about my spelling, it has never been good. My boss used to call me "the human computer", because i could find any document he wanted or needed. So if i say i read it in the American Rifleman in the 1960's it's true. And i never meant any personal insult, however far too many hunter'a ARE ELMER FUD, i rebember reading an article in Guns & Ammo that stated that 75% of more of hunter's had never been to a rifle range to sight in their rifles. The one's i did see sight in their rifles, it was clear they only came once a year or so and could not hit the broadside of a barn as a result. It takes practice to become even a fair shot.

Ironchef
07-28-2008, 2:03 PM
Well that went nicely.

I'M NOT WRONG

And yes, you're wrong. An unloaded gun can be in plain view in a vehicle and be within the law provided you're not within 1000' feet of a school. Sure it's not wise to do so since you're likely to be reacted to nervously, but it's lawful.

Decoligny
07-28-2008, 2:26 PM
I'M NOT WRONG, i have an extremly good memory, however you are correct about my spelling, it has never been good. My boss used to call me "the human computer", because i could find any document he wanted or needed. So if i say i read it in the American Rifleman in the 1960's it's true. And i never meant any personal insult, however far too many hunter'a ARE ELMER FUD, i rebember reading an article in Guns & Ammo that stated that 75% of more of hunter's had never been to a rifle range to sight in their rifles. The one's i did see sight in their rifles, it was clear they only came once a year or so and could not hit the broadside of a barn as a result. It takes practice to become even a fair shot.

You may be absolutely correct about the article in American Rifleman. You are however wrong concerning California Penal Code. And while a Law Enforcement Officer may decide that he will confiscate your unloaded weapon that is in plain sight, unless you are in a school zone, he in fact has no legal grounds to do so.

Guntech
07-28-2008, 2:31 PM

Being from out of state I wouldn't suggest you carry it period. A lot of uneducated people in SF when it comes to guns (including chief of police) and you wouldn't want to get caught up in legal problems while here.

Trempel
07-28-2008, 3:31 PM
I'm not planning of carrying (concealed or otherwise) anywhere West of Utah, which has reciprocity with Colorado carry permits. But I'm bringing my own weapon, since the relatives I'm staying with don't have any of their own.

Let me paint a clearer picture. I'll be in San Francisco for a few days. With me, I'll be bringing a Glock 26 with magazines that do not hold more than 10 rounds. Until I hit the CA border, the mags will be loaded with regular hollow point ammunition. Before I get into Cali, I'll unload the mags and separate the ammo from the weapon. The weapon will be then loaded again when I'll be on private property and it will not be removed from there until I leave the state at the end of my visit. I will not have a weapon in plain view at any point of time during my entire trip, either on my person or in a vehicle.

Any issues with the above? Is a Glock 26 still GTG by CA standards or has it been declared an AW already? Are hollow points still legal in granola land or can I only bring FMJs now? Do I need to notify any legal authorities that I'm bringing a firearm from out of state on a temporary basis?

Liberty1
07-28-2008, 3:39 PM
As long as the end of your barrel is not threaded, and you have not attached a fore-pistol grip to the "light rail", your glock is not a Ca AW. Hollow points are gtg. Read the publications (http://californiaopencarry.org/) (they also deal with concealed carry and mere transport without a license).

Trempel
07-29-2008, 7:50 AM
Thank you.

SJgunguy24
07-29-2008, 8:54 PM
In the past I carried my G26 in a combo activated lock box mounted in my truck,and I kept 3 mags loaded with speer Glod Dot 124+p's. 100% legal to the letter of the law. I got pulled over a few times and only hassled twice. So if you wanna roll with a gun just make sure it's locked up.