PDA

View Full Version : How does the 90 day AW registration work?

mustangmandan
07-27-2008, 7:38 PM
I've done some digging and I haven't found out how the 90 day AW registration period works. Basically how does an owner of a CA AR know that their OLL is now on The List? Is it the gun owners responsability to check the list frequently or do you get a notice to register in the mail or what? Has someone you know or yourself been through this process? Any input is appreciated.

Satex
07-27-2008, 7:41 PM
The DOJ has given up its authority to identify "assault weapons", add them to the list, and by that trigger a registration period. So based on current legislation, there won't be any registration windows.

WokMaster1
07-27-2008, 7:46 PM
Two weeks ago. You missed the boat...sorry!

j/k:D see post #2

fairfaxjim
07-27-2008, 8:20 PM
An oriental gentleman, disguised as a SF beat cop, will arrive at your front door, and ask to inspect your "AW", as he is an "AW Expert." Once he has approved your newly listed "AW" for registration, he will most likely decide that it must be taken for "safe keeping" until your registration is validated, widely rumored to take TWO WEEKS! Unfortunately, since there is not going to be any registration of OLL's, two weeks will come and go, and you will never hear from our "AW Expert" friend, or your OLL, ever again. :D

BTW - you should guard all wooden furniture in your house while our "AW Expert" friend is present. :D:D

Just kidding, do a little more digging, the DOJ allowed some legislation to go through last year that put an end to adding to the AW list. There is lots of info on here about it.

mustangmandan
07-27-2008, 8:39 PM
I can see you guys are having fun with this thread. :) I'm glad to hear the list isn't getting any bigger.

Could one of you point me in the right direction of that legistlation, or a link to it? When I search this forum I get off topics threads.

6172crew
07-27-2008, 8:43 PM
I can see you guys are having fun with this thread. :) I'm glad to hear the list isn't getting any bigger.

Could one of you point me in the right direction of that legistlation, or a link to it? When I search this forum I get off topics threads.

AB2728

odysseus
07-27-2008, 9:09 PM
An oriental gentleman...

Oriental??? Man, you must be old skool or something - who says that anymore? That's a style for rugs and furniture, not a people. Guy could have a turbin on his head and bells on his toes...

lol...

Satex
07-28-2008, 7:36 PM
Oriental??? Man, you must be old skool or something - who says that anymore?

So just what would the modern PC term be?

Crazed_SS
07-28-2008, 7:44 PM
So just what would the modern PC term be?

Asian.

Guntech
07-28-2008, 7:49 PM
OLL cant become AW atleast not until hell freezes over(AKA Liberals take over congress senate and presidency(Obama)

Librarian
07-28-2008, 8:12 PM
As noted, AB 2728 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/05-06/bill/asm/ab_2701-2750/ab_2728_bill_20060929_chaptered.html), chaptered 9/26/06 AB 2728, Klehs Firearms.
Existing law provides a judicial procedure for declaring a firearm an assault weapon, as specified.
This bill would repeal those provisions.

Existing law authorizes the Attorney General to declare a firearm an assault weapon.
This bill would provide that authorization ends January 1, 2007.
This bill is the fundamental reason the OLL phenomenon took off: they'll be OLL forever, because there can never be more specific-model California 'assault weapons'.

mustangmandan
07-28-2008, 8:43 PM
That's awesome. I'm looking into doing my first AR and I wanted to get a full understanding of the law before I invested my money. It's nice to hear it won't ever be an AW as long as I keep it CA legal, as it appears as of now.

So did the DOJ just give up trying to stay on top of OLL's or are they working on new legistlation to sum up the AR/AK receivers like the Kasler case? From what I am gathering it looks like they gave up trying to keep up.

hoffmang
07-28-2008, 9:32 PM
They gave up. Here (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/Lockyer%20Letter%20-%20AB%202728.pdf) you can read them beg to be let off the hook - before AB-2728 was passed.

-Gene

Mute
07-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Oriental??? Man, you must be old skool or something - who says that anymore? That's a style for rugs and furniture, not a people. Guy could have a turbin on his head and bells on his toes...

lol...

Should you choose to not cooperate, that secret Asian man will shoot your furniture. However, it will be unintentional.

fairfaxjim
07-29-2008, 8:05 PM

lol...

Yeah, I'm VERY old school, and totally politically incorrect too!

packnrat
07-29-2008, 10:21 PM
OLL cant become AW atleast not until hell freezes over(AKA Liberals take over congress senate and presidency(Obama)

you mean next year:eek::eek::eek::eek:

:TFH:

odysseus
07-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I'm VERY old school, and totally politically incorrect too!

It's not about PC to me, just accuracy.:) A lot of people get that wrong since the term is more of a historical description of a style than accurately a specific people (For example Iggy is Chinese as I understand it). You can go from Egypt, through "Persia", to Mongolia on the "Oriental" map.