PDA

View Full Version : Was the cal assault weapons ban lifted for a month?

daskraut
07-27-2008, 5:59 PM
Some out of state gundealer told me the cal DOJ lifted the cal assault weapons ban on the sly recently so the cops could buy AR's and such. Is this a wild rumor??. supposedly they could not get them in the state with out this....

69Mach1
07-27-2008, 6:01 PM
I think it was to let police officers register their rifles as AW's after 2000 (SB23), but this was right after the ban took effect.

bwiese
07-27-2008, 6:08 PM
Out of state dealer is a misreporting dolt.

How can a state agency "lift" a law passed by a legislature?

An amendation to the AW laws was passed by legislature - forget when, but sometime after SB23 - allowing cops to get and retain AWs with a dept. sign-off.

Too many cops were having AW troubles, and PDs that didn't have budgets for AWs could now stretch their budgets by letting the cop buy/use his own.

69Mach1
07-27-2008, 6:10 PM
I found it. Peace officer exemption Jan 1 2002
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/awguide/awguide.php
Page 6 of the Assault Weapons Identification Guide

daskraut
07-27-2008, 6:14 PM
He said this was fairly recent and a freind of a freind was involved in some of the sales.....who knows.

nobs11
07-27-2008, 6:18 PM
He said this was fairly recent and a freind of a freind was involved in some of the sales.....who knows.

Was it also the friend of the friend's cousin's step brother's wife's first husband's brother?

Gun store rumors are just that. Some dealers and gun owners are notorious at starting and passing them along.

69Mach1
07-27-2008, 6:22 PM

Well then, we will need details because they've just violated state law. PD has always been able to import and buy "Assault Weapons" with Dept. approval, but not for personal use. Why would they have to suspend anything to get work equipment for the PD's. Sounds interesting.

bwiese
07-27-2008, 6:24 PM
It's an out-of-state rumor/mistranslation and should be regarded as such.

Blue
07-27-2008, 6:32 PM
It was probably an uninformed cop that wanted an OLL and just happened to use this guy to ship the lower in. And neither one of them knows WTF is going on.

Shane916
07-27-2008, 6:51 PM
Was it also the friend of the friend's cousin's step brother's wife's first husband's brother?

That's the one!!! :yes:

tenpercentfirearms
07-27-2008, 6:52 PM
No its true. They opened it up on the sly. It was actually for everyone because they couldn't just do it for cops, but cops were pretty much the only guys who knew. My local PD contact told me about it and I registered two AR15s, an AK47, and a silenced M240G. They even let us get our tax stamps for the machine gun and lifted the 86 machine gun ban. It was a joint DOJ and ATF effort.

I already had a LAV to mount mine on that I got pre-86, but Gene bought one to try and make an armored car out of and Artherd too. We lined them all up at the last Calguns Foundation meeting and let er rip. Check out the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exlT5Juv8kE

That is me shooting in front of the camera. When the camera pans to the right you can see Ben's LAV with Bill Wiese, Oaklander, Ivan Pena, and JM Livingston along for the ride. When it pans to the left you can see Jim Ingram shooting and Gene and Kestryll watching.

I would have told you guys but the DOJ said they would prosecute me for some trumped up charge if I opened my mouth. Sorry, it was every man for themself.

jmlivingston
07-27-2008, 7:05 PM
I already had a LAV to mount mine on that I got pre-86, but Gene bought one to try and make an armored car out of and Artherd too.

Wes is lying folks, plain and simple. That video was very heavily edited! The original has it mounted on Wes's yellow scooter but the scooter failed massively under the recoil. As that scooter is his trademark around here, he didn't want any of you seeing it in pieces. The terrible shame about this whole incident is when the rear wheal came flying off the scooter and hit Ivanimal in the foot, causing multiple bone fractures. Ivan's tale about breaking his foot while on vacation in Hawaii was just the cover story until the DoJ/ATF closed the 1-month registration window and Wes could finally tell this tale....

John

jmlivingston
07-27-2008, 7:28 PM
BTW Wes, did you get my email?

robitrocks
07-27-2008, 7:48 PM
Wes is lying folks, plain and simple. That video was very heavily edited! The original has it mounted on Wes's yellow scooter but the scooter failed massively under the recoil. As that scooter is his trademark around here, he didn't want any of you seeing it in pieces. The terrible shame about this whole incident is when the rear wheal came flying off the scooter and hit Ivanimal in the foot, causing multiple bone fractures. Ivan's tale about breaking his foot while on vacation in Hawaii was just the cover story until the DoJ/ATF closed the 1-month registration window and Wes could finally tell this tale....

John
:ban:

That's classic! :rofl2:

SchooBaka
07-27-2008, 8:08 PM
No its true. They opened it up on the sly. It was actually for everyone because they couldn't just do it for cops, but cops were pretty much the only guys who knew. My local PD contact told me about it and I registered two AR15s, an AK47, and a silenced M240G. They even let us get our tax stamps for the machine gun and lifted the 86 machine gun ban. It was a joint DOJ and ATF effort.

I already had a LAV to mount mine on that I got pre-86, but Gene bought one to try and make an armored car out of and Artherd too. We lined them all up at the last Calguns Foundation meeting and let er rip. Check out the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exlT5Juv8kE

That is me shooting in front of the camera. When the camera pans to the right you can see Ben's LAV with Bill Wiese, Oaklander, Ivan Pena, and JM Livingston along for the ride. When it pans to the left you can see Jim Ingram shooting and Gene and Kestryll watching.

I would have told you guys but the DOJ said they would prosecute me for some trumped up charge if I opened my mouth. Sorry, it was every man for themself.

Dagnamit!!!
Why do I always find out about these things ex post facto!!:mad:
:p

hoffmang
07-27-2008, 9:49 PM
Dagnamit!!!
Why do I always find out about these things ex post facto!!:mad:
:p

A mans gotta be fast to keep up with the scooter... :scooter:

-Gene

gunsmith
07-27-2008, 11:23 PM
wait, if cops are exempt, why do they need oll's?

bwiese
07-28-2008, 12:00 AM
wait, if cops are exempt, why do they need oll's?

They can only get AWs if they have sign-off from their leadership.

Some depts will give it, others won't.