PDA

View Full Version : Sig P938 problems....help

Cali-Preacher
10-31-2015, 6:42 PM
Ok so I have a Sig P938. I took it out today and started having some malfunctions. When I attempt to rapid fire the gun, it will cycle a couple through, then it will cycle a new round into the chamber but it will not cock the hammer back to fire the round it just put in the chamber. It's like the slide cycles far enough to chamber a new round but not quite far enough to cock the hammer back and reset the trigger. So I end up having a live round in the chamber but no trigger reset or cocked hammer to fire it. Sounds crazy, I know, but it did it like 3 times today? What so u guys think? Ever experienced this? I need help...I've had lot of trouble with this gun.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

slomofo
10-31-2015, 6:59 PM
Ammo probably doesn't have enough charge to move the slide back all the way. Try a heavier grain bullet or different ammo. My P938 has never had this problem but seeing how beefy the recoil spring is compared to similar guns like the Colt Mustang & Kimber Micro, I could see how the recoil spring may affect cycling.

flyinryan
10-31-2015, 7:19 PM
Not at all giving you a hard time. And I'm 99%sure it's not the case but.. Is it possible in the middle of your rapid fire you start to limp wrist the pistol? That can cause short stroking.

SkyHawk
10-31-2015, 7:57 PM
What ammo are you running (exactly)? Don't tell us about your problem without telling us about the ammo, otherwise you're asking us to put together a puzzle with half the pieces missing.

BoJackUSMC
10-31-2015, 8:03 PM
Yes, what type of ammo?

Cali-Preacher
10-31-2015, 9:11 PM
Yes, what type of ammo?
Winchester white box from Wal Mart..115 gr fmj

Cali-Preacher
10-31-2015, 9:18 PM
Not at all giving you a hard time. And I'm 99%sure it's not the case but.. Is it possible in the middle of your rapid fire you start to limp wrist the pistol? That can cause short stroking.
It is possible, as anything is but I don't think that's the case. I am a fairly experienced shooter so I don't feel that's it. I've never had that issue before, but again not saying it couldn't be. At this point, I don't know.

BoJackUSMC
10-31-2015, 9:25 PM
Hummm

Winchester white box factory good to go usually

SkyHawk
10-31-2015, 9:37 PM
That ammo should be good but try running 100 rds of 124 or 147 through it. Also maybe leave the slide locked back for a week or two to take the edge off the recoil and hammer spring.

gringo m
10-31-2015, 10:00 PM
Best of luck. I have run 6 different ammo's through mine without a single hiccup. Great little gun.

Win231
10-31-2015, 10:12 PM
Winchester White Box is one of the factory rounds that caused malfunctions in Gen. 4 Glocks. The other is Federal "Champion."

Try 124 Gr. ammo.

Loopwell
10-31-2015, 10:14 PM
As stated, try hotter loaded ammo

erik_26
11-01-2015, 7:56 AM
Limp wristing is what comes to mind first.

It may not seem like it, but if you don't really hold a semi-auto firmly, your wrist will absorb the recoil energy enough to cause this problem.

Next, how clean in is your P938? Do you have lots of range sessions with no cleanings?

How about lubrication? Are you a grease guy or oil? I prefer oil because the grease can tend to attract and retain grime which could affect slide movement.

Finally, or maybe first, what is the brand of the ammunition? If one of the major manufactures (Winchester, Federal, Remington, Hornady, Blazer, Fiocci.... etc) then it probably isn't the problem. However, major manufactures aren't free from error. If you have a second unopened box, then try some of those.

However, in closing, if you aren't having issues with non-rapid fire, then, I circle back to limp wristing is probably the cause.

Let us know what you find.

GucciLoco9
11-01-2015, 9:35 AM
the p938 is known to have issues. just send it to sig and you will be fine.

they already have some fixes for the problems your stating

Euphoria526
11-01-2015, 3:46 PM

Thanks for reminding me...
OP your limp writing your gun like a glock. Manhandle that thing like a... Um...a man and get it working right. Sheesh with all these new gun owners you'd think they grew out of the hipster flannels.....

SoldierLife7
11-01-2015, 4:01 PM
Do you have the same issues with both of them?

unusedusername
11-01-2015, 4:09 PM
Winchester White Box (also known as WWB), ammo is likely the issue.

WWB is loaded near the minimum pressures allowable for 9mm. A small little slide like in the 938 needs a really stiff spring to cycle correctly. A stiff spring requires a little oomph from the cartridge to work.

You can try federal white box if you are looking for something that is still less expensive but has a little but more powder to it. From there, try any NATO spec 9mm. It will still be within the pressure limit of 9mm, but it will be near the top of the limit as opposed to near the bottom.

Other folks has pointed to limp wristing the gun, however 1911 pattern firearms are not usually prone to failures of that sort mostly due to the heavier recoil springs they use. It is possible though.

bshot
11-01-2015, 4:10 PM
Don't sweat it folks, looks like the gun is being sold (as new) anyways. No need to troubleshoot.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1129544

enrique L
11-01-2015, 4:17 PM
Take it to Chaz CHeshire , he's a Problem solver...and MASTER gunsmith

BigPimping
11-01-2015, 4:17 PM
I smell something shady here.

Norcal_tom
11-01-2015, 7:42 PM
what i would do is sell the gun, not say anything about the problems, and buy something else.

slomofo
11-01-2015, 8:17 PM
Whoever buys the gun, I have a feeling this may be the issue. 453349453351

With miniature 1911s, their downfall has always been in the recoil spring. Kimber suggests to change the spring every 500rds, Colt doesn't say anything about it, but they've been known to fail.

Sigs don't seem to have this issue and I think it's because they use a really beefy spring under a lot of tension; it feels more Gen 4 Glock than 1911. This is the first thing I noticed when I got the gun originally and commented about it on another forum. I think a lighter spring may solve any issues, but at the same time increase the chances of spring failure.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

MarinRange42
11-01-2015, 10:54 PM
The only worry about his posts here are the absent and quite helpful comments to have mentioned he has two of them and it does not happen with the other. Seems like many chances to provide that comment and did not into the equation for troubleshooting. switching parts could have helped diagnose. I dunno...not my house.

bsg
11-01-2015, 11:11 PM
tagged.

c_Gio
11-02-2015, 5:20 AM
I have an Equinox...w the longer spring, came that way. No issues. Love this gun! Also did trigger job & added hogue grips. Great carry.

erik_26
11-02-2015, 6:24 AM
With miniature 1911s, their downfall has always been in the recoil spring. Kimber suggests to change the spring every 500rds, Colt doesn't say anything about it, but they've been known to fail.

:eek:

Really, 500 rounds? I hadn't heard of that.

Anyone go well beyond 500 rounds without a problem?

c_Gio
11-02-2015, 6:27 AM
I am second owner of mine, no idea of round count. I've shot several hundred +

slomofo
11-02-2015, 6:44 AM
:eek:

Really, 500 rounds? I hadn't heard of that.

Anyone go well beyond 500 rounds without a problem?
1500rds through my Kimber Ultra before FTFs warranted the need for replacement. The Ultra is different from the gun I posted earlier, the Ultra has a captive spring on the guide rod which you change as a unit @ $40 a piece, of which I've changed three times. The gun pictured earlier is a Kimber Micro, no range report yet cause it's brand new but I think I'm going to get rid of it cause I don't like the sights, so I'll never know if that recoil spring will have issues.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk