PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Issues

GammaRei
07-26-2008, 8:09 PM
I had asked a LEO friend of mine that comes to my shop about the legality regarding moving ammunition from out of state. After consulting his legal dept for his agency. He told me that there is something in the works that will basically stop us from being able to buy and transport ammo from another state. This got me worried. What do you guys think . . .

- G

HowardW56
07-26-2008, 8:16 PM
I had asked a LEO friend of mine that comes to my shop about the legality regarding moving ammunition from out of state. After consulting his legal dept for his agency. He told me that there is something in the works that will basically stop us from being able to buy and transport ammo from another state. This got me worried. What do you guys think . . .

- G

I call BS!!!

M. Sage
07-26-2008, 8:33 PM

- G

That would be the ammo serialization BS that's being considered.

GammaRei
07-26-2008, 8:34 PM
I call BS!!!

You sure, Ive known this guy for a while and hes very pro 2a as well.

That would be the ammo serialization BS that's being considered.

Actually this is supposed to be separate from that.

- G

M. Sage
07-26-2008, 9:04 PM
Can't think of how it'd be separate from serialization. Serialization forces people to get rid of their non-serialized stockpiles after a certain amount of time and bans ammo that doesn't have serial numbers.

tankerman
07-26-2008, 9:11 PM
I had asked a LEO friend of mine that comes to my shop about the legality regarding moving ammunition from out of state.

What does this question mean?

It is not illegal to buy ammo from out of state. So why would you ask this type of question? Moving ammo from out nof state is pretty much a non-issue. What would make you think it's illegal?

FYI, LEO and their legal departments do not right laws.

M. Sage
07-26-2008, 9:26 PM

They don't write 'em either. ;) :p

They're also wrong as hell way too often.

Guntech
07-26-2008, 9:35 PM
That will be when I stop shooting and just buy guns to look at them because ammo will be through the roof

CavTrooper
07-26-2008, 9:43 PM
Can't think of how it'd be separate from serialization. Serialization forces people to get rid of their non-serialized stockpiles after a certain amount of time and bans ammo that doesn't have serial numbers.

I have a suggestion of where everyone can/should dump thier non-serialized ammo if this ever comes to pass...
:13::28::83::68::gun_bandana:

tankerman
07-26-2008, 9:43 PM

Thanks, I must have inhaled too much vapor at the Drag Races today.;)

11Z50
07-26-2008, 9:45 PM
Between the lead ammo ban and serialization, this could be the end of civilian shooting in California. While we have made some progress with Heller and other recent developments, now they are after our ammo. Guns aren't much fun without ammo.

bohoki
07-26-2008, 9:47 PM
i swear the laws people imagine are worse than the deepest fantasy of feinstein

Satex
07-26-2008, 9:48 PM
Do you guys not remember AB362?
That is probably what Gamma's buddy was thinking of.
It hasn't happened yet, but as we all know, they will keep on introducing it until it passes.

GammaRei
07-26-2008, 10:11 PM
What does this question mean?

It is not illegal to buy ammo from out of state. So why would you ask this type of question? Moving ammo from out nof state is pretty much a non-issue. What would make you think it's illegal?

Because its a Large amount of ammo. And this would make me worry since our firearms would be legal, but the ammo would go through the roof.

- G

tankerman
07-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Because its a Large amount of ammo. And this would make me worry since our firearms would be legal, but the ammo would go through the roof.

- G
What you just said made me even more confused.:confused:

motorhead
07-26-2008, 10:21 PM
next time ask a plumber, you'll probably get better info.

M. Sage
07-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks, I must have inhaled too much vapor at the Drag Races today.;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :p

- G

The amount doesn't matter. Order it!

tombinghamthegreat
07-27-2008, 1:25 AM

+1. Nothing good could come from it and a letter can backfire.

??? If you want to order more ammo do it.

Beelzy
07-27-2008, 6:55 AM
Looks like reloading is going to become popular again soon.

Remember the Primer Shortage in 1994?

motorhead
07-27-2008, 7:39 AM
now offering ammo disposal service, pm for details.

11Z50
07-27-2008, 8:43 AM
Every chance I get I buy ammo. It's better than the stock market right now. Several years ago I standardized my arsenal so I can focus on 4-5 calibers.

singleshotman
07-27-2008, 9:16 AM
I do not like to say this, but to say "this ammo serialization bill will evenualty pass" is a defeatist attitude, as good old A.H. used to say. As far as i can rebember, this bill was first introed in 1993, that was 15 years ago. I rebember reading about it in the American Rifleman magazine, i was living in NC at the time.The leaders of this state(Democrats) are anti-gun, but they are not stupid, this Ab362 or similar is impossible to do at present and unenforceable. Enough said.

HowardW56
07-27-2008, 10:02 AM

:D

You never hear how many cases aren't filed by DA's or City Attorneys, because they are all screwed up..

HowardW56
07-27-2008, 10:08 AM
You sure, Ive known this guy for a while and hes very pro 2a as well.

Actually this is supposed to be separate from that.

- G

I don't doubt that he is, I just thgink he is getting bad info...

GW
07-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Besides How can a state ban interstate commerce?

M. Sage
07-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Besides How can a state ban interstate commerce?

Ever see the fruit confiscation stations at the border? Happens all the time.

RickD6023
07-28-2008, 10:42 AM
There is a bill currently in the State Senate that places incredible restrictions on the purchase and transfer of ammo - AB2062. The Bill passed the Assembly in June and is in the senate for consideration. Right now it is in suspense but can resurface at any time. This heinous bill would eliminate purchase of ammo from out of state resources as well as place limitation on the transfer of ammo in state.

Introduced by State Assembly Member Kevin De Leon (D-45), Assembly Bill 2062 puts ammunition sales in the crosshairs. AB2062 would require that law-abiding gun owners obtain a permit to buy handgun ammunition and would impose severe restrictions on the private transfers of handgun ammunition. Applicants for a “permit-to-purchase” would be required to submit to a background check, pay a $35 fee, and wait as long as 30 days to receive the permit.

Under AB2062, it would be unlawful to privately transfer more than 50 rounds of ammunition per month, even between family and friends, unless you are registered as a “handgun ammunition vendor” in the Department of Justice’s database. Ammunition retailers would have to be licensed and store ammunition in such a manner that it would be inaccessible to purchasers. The bill would also require vendors to keep a record of the transaction including the ammunition buyer’s name, driver’s license, the quantity, caliber and type of ammunition purchased, and right thumbprint, which would be submitted to the Department of Justice or the number of his handgun ammunition purchase permit. Vendors would be required to contact the purchase permit database, to verify the validity of a permit before completing a sale. All ammunition sales in the State of California would be subject to a $3 per transaction tax. Lastly, mail order ammunition sales would be prohibited. Any violator of AB2062 would be subject to civil fines.

Glock22Fan
07-28-2008, 11:05 AM
It does eliminate selling ammo between unlicensed parties - so the guy who drives to OR/NV/AZ can not resell it to his shooting buddies.

but it still allows a bunch of friends to chip in in advance to make a bulk purchase, I believe.

Anthonysmanifesto
07-28-2008, 11:45 AM

- G

there are several threads running currently about our fight of AB 2062 (De Leon) .

The bill, it in its current form would require purchases in California to be face to face witha licensed ammo vendor.

Please make your voice heard.

We killed a similar bill last year year AB 362 by the same author.