PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a receiver to purchasers FFL, via UPS/FedEx

Agro
10-27-2015, 2:03 PM
I found this link:
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Shipping_Firearms_Within_California

Still I am not sure.
I am in San Diego. Can I take a receiver I have, box it up and drive it to the UPS depot (not the UPS Store, but the actual UPS official place/depot) and then ship it to an FFL where the purchaser will complete the DROS? I had planned on this being a PPT since I am not an FFL, but normally when I do those in person, both sides have some paperwork to fill out. Since I won't be there, I have no idea if this is possible.

Thank you for your help.

Wes C Addle
10-27-2015, 2:06 PM
you can also use USPS and drop it off like a normal package or take it to your FFL and have them ship it out.

Agro
10-27-2015, 2:07 PM
The wiki says that unless you are an FFL, you can no longer ship firearms via USPS. Only private shipping like UPS or FedEx.
Taking it to my FFL, they would undoubtedly charge some fee. They are in the business of making money. I am trying to eliminate that cost.

If I take it to UPS and declare it as a firearm, box it up, ship it to the purchasers FFL, will he be able to DROS it fully without me being present? If this is fully legal, then the FFL shouldn't bawk and complete it. I just don't want to risk having them say it isnt permitted, ship it back, yadda yadda...

Noonanda
10-27-2015, 2:28 PM
You can ship long guns via USPS, you cannot ship a pistol unless you are an FFL. Don't know weather a stripped receiver would qualify as other but because it cannot be built into a pistol it is a rifle

HopetonBrown
10-27-2015, 2:37 PM
The wiki says that unless you are an FFL, you can no longer ship firearms via USPS. Only private shipping like UPS or FedEx.
Taking it to my FFL, they would undoubtedly charge some fee. They are in the business of making money. I am trying to eliminate that cost.

You can ship long guns via USPS. A lower registered as a rifle would mean it's a long gun.

wireless
10-27-2015, 3:38 PM
Yup^

I just sent a stripped receiver VIA USPS maybe a month ago.

$5.95 for flat rate priority.

Librarian
10-27-2015, 4:28 PM
... But do contact the receiving FFL before you ship.

Will not be a PPT, since you cannot be there in person, so fee will be DROS + something more than $10.

JDay
10-27-2015, 5:25 PM
You can ship long guns via USPS. A lower registered as a rifle would mean it's a long gun.
It's cheaper too.

hellayella
10-27-2015, 10:40 PM
In California, a receiver is considered as a long gun according to CalDOJ