PDA

View Full Version : borrowing hi-cap mags??

IMC87
07-26-2008, 1:50 PM
Quick question, have family in law enforcement. I asked to borrow their old beretta. they only have 15 round magazines, would i be able to borrow the pistol still (with the magazines?) or would they have to be with me in order to use the 15rnd mags?

(I really just want to try out the gun but those are the only mags they have, they are retired LEO from before 1999)

Richy
07-26-2008, 1:56 PM
You're not buying them, you're not importing them. I don't see what the problem would be. A lot of the guns I rent at the range comes with HiCaps.

IMC87
07-26-2008, 2:01 PM
Found through a search....

"...the law very clearly states you cannot import, manufacture, sell, loan or otherwise transfer hi-caps. Possession is absolutely, 100% not banned."

So i'm guessing i cant borrow them then, and buy a 10 rounder to try it?

Richy
07-26-2008, 2:03 PM
wow can't loan them either. that sucks. wonder how the range works, guess renting them out isn't loaning them? if that's the case have him "rent" you the mags. lol

leelaw
07-26-2008, 2:07 PM
You may borrow the high cap magazines if you remain within their presence.

If you plan on borrowing the pistol to take to the range by yourself, you must purchase 10rd magazines for it... or shoot it single-shot.

leelaw
07-26-2008, 2:08 PM
wow can't loan them either. that sucks. wonder how the range works, guess renting them out isn't loaning them? if that's the case have him "rent" you the mags. lol

Renting is legal because the magazines remain under the control of the owner (the shop) since you are renting them to use while on shop property.

Renting from a friend is prohibited.

IMC87
07-26-2008, 2:09 PM
I see, oh well, i guess i cant try a beretta anytime soon :P Thanks guys.

SOneThreeCoupe
07-26-2008, 2:46 PM
DO NOT ADVOCATE COMMITTING FELONIES HERE -leelaw

motorhead
07-26-2008, 11:11 PM
DO NOT ADVOCATE COMMITTING FELONIES HERE

Did you not see the other warning? Did you think we're not serious about that here? -leelaw

Holocanthus
07-27-2008, 3:14 AM
You could always just buy a single 10rd mag. I'm sure you'll like the beretta enough to get one and then you'll just have an extra mag. Or you could call the range you were going to shoot at and see if they'll rent a mag for a few $'s.

Pred@tor
07-27-2008, 5:08 AM
Just dont say nothing ;) or go out and buy some 10 rounders if you're worried.

E Pluribus Unum
07-27-2008, 5:43 AM
DO NOT ADVOCATE COMMITTING FELONIES HERE

Did you not see the other warning? Did you think we're not serious about that here? -leelaw

Seriously... who needs to commit felonies?? There are plenty of misdemeanors out there that are just as fun!

Pred@tor
07-27-2008, 6:06 AM
How many misdemeanors have you committed today? :D

motorhead
07-27-2008, 7:45 AM
i was not advocating anything. i was commenting on the nature of the law that makes the giver/seller/lender the criminal and basically leaves the buyer/reciever/borrower in the clear. i apologize if my post crossed the line, i must be the only member that finds this fact unusual or amusing.

weekend_plinker
07-27-2008, 8:00 AM
have the family member go with you to the range. that way they are there with you and not loaning you the mags and you can try the gun out.

SOneThreeCoupe
07-27-2008, 8:07 AM
DO NOT ADVOCATE COMMITTING FELONIES HERE -leelaw

I was simply stating an option.

Noticed the high-cap thread is gone as well.

Don't want too many of the wrong people realizing that they're total idiots?

11Z50
07-27-2008, 9:26 AM
I think sometimes we complicate things that should not be complicated. Go shoot the gun, mind your own business, have fun. Should anyone ask questions, tell them to mind their own business.

CSACANNONEER
07-27-2008, 9:38 AM
Just have the owner go with you and stay with the mags while you shoot it. Don't go out and facilitate or commit a felony because someone else says that you should just tell people to mind their own bussiness. You would be the one risking everything and if you loose, the guy that suggested that you break the law isn't even going to visit you in prison. Be safe and stay legal so that you don't have to worry.

socalgunrunner
07-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Just because you tell someone to "mind their own business", obviously does not mean that you're committing some sort of felony.

In my opinion, there are just way too many busy bodies at the ranges these days. What I'm shooting is nobody's business but mine. If I want to whip out my AK with a 30 round mag, that's my choice. I think sometimes people forget that there are thousands of us that have AW's and Hicaps that were legally purchased before the bans.

Now if some overly aggressive LEO wants to make an issue of it, I'll be more than happy to show him my paperwork.

Kestryll
07-27-2008, 11:26 AM
I was simply stating an option.

Noticed the high-cap thread is gone as well.

Don't want too many of the wrong people realizing that they're total idiots?

We do NOT allow the advocation, suggestion or discussion of illegal action or activities here. No exceptions.

If you want to do so, do it elsewhere.

This is not debatable nor open to discussion.

CSACANNONEER
07-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Just because you tell someone to "mind their own business", obviously does not mean that you're committing some sort of felony.

In my opinion, there are just way too many busy bodies at the ranges these days. What I'm shooting is nobody's business but mine. If I want to whip out my AK with a 30 round mag, that's my choice. I think sometimes people forget that there are thousands of us that have AW's and Hicaps that were legally purchased before the bans.

Now if some overly aggressive LEO wants to make an issue of it, I'll be more than happy to show him my paperwork.

I have boxes of normal mags and belts but, I'm not going to advocate anyone breaking the law just because they probably won't get caught.

Guntech
07-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Bring your friend with you if you want to shoot hi-caps or buy 10 rounders? kind of dumb to buy 10 round mags for a gun you'll use once.

M. Sage
07-27-2008, 3:41 PM
Bring the handgun's owner with. To borrow a handgun, you'll need an HSC card, too.

pizzatorte
07-27-2008, 3:47 PM
I think sometimes we complicate things that should not be complicated. Go shoot the gun, mind your own business, have fun. Should anyone ask questions, tell them to mind their own business.

Ask David Olofson how well this works out.