PDA

View Full Version : feedback on Kel Tec su16...good gun?

catchmychainsaw
07-24-2008, 11:48 PM
I've become intrigued by the Kel-tec su-16- it looks like a fun gun to take to the range and the "A", "B" and "CA" are all cal legal. What do you think about the quality and value of these guns? Preferred model?

jandmtv
07-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Just build a OLL AR. Dont waste money on a suX-16

Mississippi
07-25-2008, 12:03 AM
+ 100 on build an OLL

tombinghamthegreat
07-25-2008, 1:05 AM
Buy a Saiga in the caliber of your choice instead. Why? The saigas are cheaper, much more reliable and more accurate. Also if you want you could convert it too except Ak mags.

xonetruthcrewx
07-25-2008, 4:16 AM
I had one before. It was alright I guess. I sold it recently and bought a Sig 556. Probably one of the best decisions I have ever made.

RobT2K
07-25-2008, 5:25 AM
I sold the one I had too, luckily before all the OLL rage started so I got my money back and didn't take a loss. It just feels cheap in all the wrong places, and accuracy was nothing special.
If you get one, it needs a new extractor to run reliably, the stock one is crap.

CSACANNONEER
07-25-2008, 5:53 AM
It is what it is. I have one and it's great for its intended purpose. It is not an AR or saiga and should not be compared to them. They are totally different weapons. That said, if you plan on shooting it a lot (over 2000 or 3000 rounds a year), I recommend getting something else. What is the main function (for you) that this gun would serve?

tombinghamthegreat,
I've never known any saiga or other AK varient to be considered an "accurate rifle." AKs are known for reliability but not accuracy. I'm willing to meet you sometime and see if your saiga can outshoot my SU16, or any of my surplus or hunting rifles. Unfortunately, I'd prefer to do it at Angeles and I've got to spend my free time at the reloading bench to get ready for a match next month. So, I'll have to do it either when I'm done loading or when I get back from vacation. Are you up for a little friendly competion? You name the distance(es). You decide on iron sites or optics, etc.

depmac983ret
07-25-2008, 6:21 AM
I'm considering a SU16 purchase simply because it accepts AR mags (pre 2000) I also like the folding feature. I'm thinking it may be a decent SHTF piece. Besides a build, are there any othr rifles that accepts these Mags ?

philthy209
07-25-2008, 6:54 AM
OLL with a MMG and no evil features also accept those AR mags.

Casual Observer
07-25-2008, 8:32 AM
Besides a build, are there any othr rifles that accepts these Mags ?

Tons, but nothing you can buy in CA really. The major options have already been explored.

vega
07-25-2008, 9:34 AM
I want to watch that friendly competition.;)

To stay on topic, get the CA version. The newer rifles have a different extractor now and you don't really have to replace it unless you want to. I think it's a bit overpriced for the quality, not that they are junk.

Good luck with your choice.

Heavy_Grinder
07-25-2008, 9:42 AM
....get the CA version. The newer rifles have a different extractor now.....

Says who. Kel-Tec????

vega
07-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Says who. Kel-Tec????
If you take the time to do some research you will see the difference between the old one and the newer versions that they have. I believe it was posted at KTOG.org.

Also, when I called K-tec about the extractor not that I'm having problem with mine, they sent me a replacement one. I compared this with my Bushmaster extractor and there was no difference. Unless they sent me a Bushmaster one.

Heavy_Grinder
07-25-2008, 11:53 AM
If you take the time to do some research you will see the difference between the old one and the newer versions that they have. I believe it was posted at KTOG.org.

Also, when I called K-tec about the extractor not that I'm having problem with mine, they sent me a replacement one. I compared this with my Bushmaster extractor and there was no difference. Unless they sent me a Bushmaster one.

I've been a member of KTOG and I never heard anything about newer generation extractors before. (granted the last time I logged into that forum was ages ago).

The last new generation of anything related to the su16 was the firing pin, because the first Alphas were prone to broken firing pins.

Maybe i'll hit up KTWM about this to clarify.

Springfield45
07-25-2008, 8:52 PM
The KEL TEC SU-16 should be considered a survival gun like the SA Scout (.22lr and 410) or a brake down .22. It has the advantages of being lightweight(5-6 pounds), excepting AR magazines, and being able to fold up to fit in a back pack. It is fairly accurate up to 200 yards, but nothing special. It's built in bi-pod is a novel idea but not very useful. It can not take being fired rapidly with out over heating and smoking its plastic (30 rounds and it needs to cool down for a while). The built in scope rail can not hold a good zero because the receiver can flex. A red dot sight might work OK. I have one and I like it for what it is. A utility folding rifle. It can not stand up to the number of rounds a AR or AK digest easily. However if you can not get a OLL it is the only legal option left in CA.

Axewound
07-25-2008, 10:20 PM
ever think of mini 14? I would prefer one over an su-16,

Clodbuster
07-25-2008, 11:28 PM
My SU16CA has over 3K rounds, and I haven't had to replace any parts. I also have on many occasions, rapid fired 2-30 round magazines worth of NATO spec ammo through with no plastic "smoking". I've done 3 magazines worth once, and the fore end did get hot, but I have no melted "plastic" on my rifle.

Clod

The KEL TEC SU-16 should be considered a survival gun like the SA Scout (.22lr and 410) or a brake down .22. It has the advantages of being lightweight(5-6 pounds), excepting AR magazines, and being able to fold up to fit in a back pack. It is fairly accurate up to 200 yards, but nothing special. It's built in bi-pod is a novel idea but not very useful. It can not take being fired rapidly with out over heating and smoking its plastic (30 rounds and it needs to cool down for a while). The built in scope rail can not hold a good zero because the receiver can flex. A red dot sight might work OK. I have one and I like it for what it is. A utility folding rifle. It can not stand up to the number of rounds a AR or AK digest easily. However if you can not get a OLL it is the only legal option left in CA.

Stanze
07-25-2008, 11:42 PM
I wouldn't mind having one for the "fits into a backpack" factor. If I'm not mistaken a long gun can be legally concealed on your person. Definitely in your vehicle.

Unloaded of course.

Elucidus
07-26-2008, 12:28 AM
The fits into a backpack factor is nice about the KT rifles, but other than that they're junk.

Uber-notchy, uber heavy trigger, everything feels really cheap. Maintenance is a pain compared to the AR-15... just... nowhere near as good, IMO. Considering a new KT costs about $500 and a new AR $800, it's definitely worth it to go down the AR path, IMO. (backpack rifle excepted)

KTGunner
07-26-2008, 12:42 AM
The SU-16s get a lot of really bad rep on this site. And I can understand that an OLL is a much better work-horse gun. But the SU is a nice gun for what it is. it can take pre-ban mags, it can be put in a backpack and you can hold the ten-rounders in the stock for easy access and storage.

As long as you dont feed it Wolf :TFH: then you really dont have to clean it that often.

I also would say that it is many times better than a Mini 14.

C.G.
07-26-2008, 1:29 AM
What CSACanonneer, KTGunner and Springfield45 said +1.

If you do search, this topic has been covered many a time.

nazgulnarsil
07-26-2008, 1:58 AM
I definitely wouldn't have purchased one new. you can build an OLL for what? $100 more?

For me it fills the specific role of survival/backpacking rifle (it's the only compact option not in .22lr), I wouldn't have purchased it for any other role. If i wanted a rifle that I was planning on taking plinking often I would have gone with a .223 or x39 saiga.

zcktomcat
07-26-2008, 2:22 AM
I have both an OLL and SU-16A. I think they are both great rifles for different reasons. My SU-16 has been reliable, its nice for its light weight and you can find used ones for about 450 so they aren't all that expensive. Only thing I didn't like about the SU-16A was the sights on it. Their pretty cheap and hard to adjust, but by using the upgrade used by a person on ktog.com http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1214877082g (its in his 3rd of 4th post) I slaped some AR backup sights on it and I'm able to get around 1 in groups at 50 yards, which is good since I've never been that good with iron sights on a rifle.

1lostinspace
07-26-2008, 7:25 AM
I'm considering a SU16 purchase simply because it accepts AR mags (pre 2000) I also like the folding feature. I'm thinking it may be a decent SHTF piece. Besides a build, are there any othr rifles that accepts these Mags ?

A the SHTF when you try to fire it;)

Probably the worse rifle you can get.Like others said you can build a reliable AR for your mags or Saiga

1lostinspace
07-26-2008, 7:31 AM
My SU16CA has over 3K rounds, and I haven't had to replace any parts. I also have on many occasions, rapid fired 2-30 round magazines worth of NATO spec ammo through with no plastic "smoking". I've done 3 magazines worth once, and the fore end did get hot, but I have no melted "plastic" on my rifle.

Clod

Kel tecs are weird mine broke 5 times finally blowing up:eek:SU CA
My friend has the B model and I have seen him fire 5 30 rounders through it.:TFH:

Over all there is no reason to take a chance the AR platform is far more accurate and reliable.

sorensen440
07-26-2008, 7:37 AM
I have both an su16 and a few olls
you will never see me selling my su16
its lighter then an ar
it folds down smaller then an ar
I have found that it likes some of the cheaper ammo that the ar's dont seem to like as well
and you can your your preban mags without going with a mmg or u15

larryt
07-26-2008, 7:49 AM
and you can your your preban mags without going with a mmg or u15

The best part, IMO.

IH8CALAWS
07-26-2008, 7:52 AM
Just Say No to Kel-Tecs'

daskraut
07-26-2008, 8:18 AM
I love my kel-tec dearly and have no intention of getting rid of it at this time. It is 100% cal legal and shoots great.
SU-16 on top.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/daskraut/hotkids.jpg

1lostinspace
07-26-2008, 9:31 AM
I love my kel-tec dearly and have no intention of getting rid of it at this time. It is 100% cal legal and shoots great.
SU-16 on top.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/daskraut/hotkids.jpg

nice guns but the AK scoped on a dust cover is not my cup of tea.

daskraut
07-26-2008, 10:08 AM
I agree. I want to side mount a scope but I am not sure if they make a side rail for a norinco AK. Any ideas?. At least it has set screws to hold it in place.

1lostinspace
07-26-2008, 10:35 AM
I agree. I want to side mount a scope but I am not sure if they make a side rail for a norinco AK. Any ideas?. At least it has set screws to hold it in place.

put a quad on and mount a red dot

dgey
07-26-2008, 10:45 AM
depending on your uses for the Kel Tec, it's a decent weapon for its size and weight. It's better than just having a 22 and much more deadly... Purchase a used one, they're around $400-450. I went this route. The gun is fine except for the difficult to use sights.