PDA

View Full Version : Raddlock for the FN FS2000?

dchang0
07-24-2008, 10:00 PM
After seeing the genius of the STG-556 Raddlock and its minimal modification to the gun, I'm wondering if Radd could devise a Raddlock for the FS2000 that is also easily installed and easily removable.

It would be absolutely awesome if the bottom big plastic mag-release button could be pulled and replaced with a fixed plastic fake button through which a bullet could be inserted to depress a smaller replacement button that would operate the release. It does seem like the force required might be too much to use a cartridge, so a simple T-handle hex key wrench might work better.

I'd PM Radd but figured I'd post to let others indicate their interest in such a product. FS2000 owners, here's your chance to speak up for a Raddlock!

radd
07-25-2008, 3:08 PM
Thank you for your interested in Raddlocks.

I have looked at a FS2000 up close and found the biggest challenge is actually disabling the uppder Mag-Release and not the lower release. The upper release is also part of the Mag-Catch itself. Therefore, there is no economical solution in replacing the upper release.

The only solution is block off the upper release. But to block it off while keeping the rifle looking stock will be a challenge. The bottom mag release is easily replaceable kind of like the STG-556.

But the FS2000 is still about 3/4" too short to meet the OAL of 30" requirement in CA.

How much would someone willing to pay for CA compliance on top of 2000.00+ price tag of a rifle?

If there is enough interest, then I am certainly willing to commit to a device for this rifle.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Radd

dchang0
07-25-2008, 6:08 PM
Hi, Radd--

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad you described the mechanisms involved, because it gave me a good idea.

Chris at Lanworldinc.com responded to the design challenge by blocking the lower release button and cutting apart the steel mag-catch and upper release button, then affixing the upper release button with a hole drilled through it for the bullet to pass through to depress the severed mag-catch. Obviously, I'm not too crazy about such extensive modifications to the gun, especially since the steel mag-catch and upper release button part might be hard to get and/or expensive.

The good idea I have is to simply cover up (rather than block) the upper magazine release without interfering with its operation in any way. Just cover it with a piece of thin, sturdy material that's molded closely to the shape of the stock. We could secure the cover to the stock without drilling extra holes by making use of the two bolts nearby and/or the four snap-in dust-skirt holes. (Looking at the right-side of the stock at the upper mag release: Bolt 1 is 1cm northeast of the release, above the thumbhole, and Bolt 2 is 1cm west of the westmost of the four snap-in dust-skirt holes.)

Then, it would be possible to install the bullet button in the lower mag release and disable the upper mag release with absolutely no irreversible modifications to the original factory parts and keep the cost of such a kit fairly low.

-----

As for the cost discussion, it's actually pretty interesting to think about. The FS2000 is so expensive that I don't think people who would really actually buy it (and not just dream or talk about it) would have a problem with spending several hundred more to make it Calif. compliant. For instance, Lanworldinc.com offers a barrel extender and bullet button conversion service for $300, which apparently several FS2000 owners have been happy to pay to obtain one of these rare guns.

Right now, that service is one of the options I'm considering, though it is the least preferred because of the permanent modifications to factory parts. If I can buy spares for the modified parts and have them firmly in hand, then and only then I'd send the gun in to get it modified.

Hope that gives you some ideas on how to design and profit from a Raddlock for the FS2000!

dchang0
07-25-2008, 7:03 PM
Perhaps a more cosmetically-acceptable cover would be a "shroud" made of really thin metal and that is shaped almost exactly like the upper release button. It would basically be fitted over the button itself and would have to be buttressed by something inside the stock itself to hold it steady against attempts to press it and the upper release inwards...

I'm liking the idea of a cover secured through the four snap-in dust cover holes more and more. If made of black or even transparent material, it could be cosmetically acceptable. Anyone using a bullet-button would probably remove the dust-skirt anyway, so that it would be easier to drop the magazine while pressing the bullet button and holding the stock steady.

monkey
07-25-2008, 7:09 PM
Yeah. it's worth noting that while LANworldinc's mods are reversible, they require new FN parts that are not available. I called FN about getting a new mag release for a PS90 and they couldn't do it. Not sure about the 2000, but probably the same issue.

marxdspot
07-26-2008, 5:53 AM
About the length shortage issue, I've been working with a machinist on a buttpad extension and it should be ready shortly. It'll add at least 2 more inches in length to the FS2K. Here's the link: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=93904

Oh by the way, I've got a bunch of your locks and am a proud fan, hence to say, I'M INTERESTED in a Radd lock for the FS2K!:D

Hope this helps, Brad, and thanks for all your help!

Thank you for your interested in Raddlocks.

I have looked at a FS2000 up close and found the biggest challenge is actually disabling the uppder Mag-Release and not the lower release. The upper release is also part of the Mag-Catch itself. Therefore, there is no economical solution in replacing the upper release.

The only solution is block off the upper release. But to block it off while keeping the rifle looking stock will be a challenge. The bottom mag release is easily replaceable kind of like the STG-556.

But the FS2000 is still about 3/4" too short to meet the OAL of 30" requirement in CA.

How much would someone willing to pay for CA compliance on top of 2000.00+ price tag of a rifle?

If there is enough interest, then I am certainly willing to commit to a device for this rifle.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Radd

dchang0
07-26-2008, 6:45 PM
Thanks for confirming what I thought, monkey--if I couldn't get replacements for the parts that Lanworldinc would permanently alter in my hands BEFORE I send it in for the conversion, I just wouldn't do it.

By the way, Ade of Ade's Gun Shop gave me a call today and put me in touch with Radd--I'm going to lend my lower stock to the development and possible production of a FS2000 Raddlock! Thanks, Ade!

Oh, and to marxdspot: a buttpad extension would satisfy the law, but I find the current size of the FS2000 to be perfect for me (at 5' 10"). Any longer would make the gun uncomfortable. I'd much rather stick a barrel extender on (which Chris at Lanworldinc has already developed and which in some ways improves the look of the gun). Now, a better buttpad extension for the PS90 (half the thickness of Lanworldinc's solution) with a barrel extender to make up the difference would make a Calif.-legal PS90 much more usable!