PDA

View Full Version : WASR 22 vs GSG 5

Pred@tor
07-24-2008, 5:09 PM
Which one should I get? I want the WASR 22 becuase its cheaper and can take standard AK Furniture but the GSG5 is pretty cool too. I went to my dealer today to see if he could get me a WASR 22 he looked on the Century Website and it said they wont ship it to CA. So he said he wouldn't get that for me but he could get the GSG5 if I really want it. Hmmm... I know guys here have WASR 22's but where can I get one? MY Dealer even said DDs Ranch wont even deal with California now since that new silly law with shipping guns took effect he didnt even look nor try. What a buncha crap I know there are plenty of folks here with WASR 22s. I have a couple more dealers I can try but I dunno. Can you guys help me out?

IH8CALAWS
07-24-2008, 5:22 PM
I was unaware DD's Ranch stopped dealing with CA. I was looking over there a couple days ago and didn't see anything that said that. I would call DD'S and see what they say.

Guntech
07-24-2008, 5:23 PM
Uh thats bs.. DDs ranch wouldn't be a vendor on this site if they didn't ship here anymore

highspeed11
07-24-2008, 5:56 PM
http://ddsranch.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=20_46_261&products_id=608

Try that link, then find an FFL that isn't spreading FUD...

Pred@tor
07-24-2008, 5:56 PM
Exactly.. I guess I am gonna have to find another dealer... This guy was full of FUD

wilit
07-24-2008, 8:40 PM
I shot the GSG at the last shoot-n-que and it was a pretty sweet gun. I have to say I was really surprised at how well it is made and how sturdy it feels. If you have the money to drop on a novelty gun, I'd buy the GSG. If you really want an AK, I'd buy the WASR-10 and a Ciener .22lr conversion kit and you'd be right at the price of a GSG. That way you essentially have a .22lr and a 7.62 rifle for the price of 1!!!

Pred@tor
07-24-2008, 9:50 PM
Yeah thats a thought with the WASR 10 but I am already feeding a SKS I have a Yugo one too. I'd love to try GSG5 out at least... The only bad thing I have heard about it is the stock on it. If I do get the WASR 22 however, I am going to put a OD Green nato stock set on it. :D

For sure I am just gonna find another dealer! I will use this local fellow for my local fud gun needs. He wont mess with the OLL stuff either...

wikidklown
07-25-2008, 7:09 AM
I got a GSG-5, all I can say is it's very nice. Dump the plastic stock (seem like it's made for toy) and get the A3, makes it look better.
I have yet to take it out to and outdoor range (tin can range at LARG) but it shot well indoors(25 yard)
I haven't tried a WASR-22 but I bet that's sweet ;-) Waiting on the GSG made .22 AK

gn3hz3ku1*
07-25-2008, 8:27 AM
DDSranch is one of the orginial out of state vendors to help us out.. why would dean turn his back on us? stupid CA dealer is just spreading FUD

Frijolito1988
07-25-2008, 8:32 AM
dean is great, find an ffl , a diffrent ffl have dd's ranch ship it to them and pay the $75 outa state transfer fees including dros and there you have the wasr22

Gator Monroe
07-25-2008, 1:04 PM
Get the WASR 22 ESPECIALLY because it takes all AK furniture and Acessories and it's buildable as a kit in SHTF future if you wish ! I love mine and 10.000 rounds later it's given me invaluable knowledge of the AK platform and working my way(On my own) past the issues that plague some of these weapons has only improved my trailside repair and at home garage machinist skills to a higher level !

Pred@tor
07-25-2008, 2:09 PM
Okay, I talked to a another dealer he was scrathching his head as well. He dont like the interweb so I gave him a number to DDs Ranch to call. I just left the message on his recorder.

Pred@tor
07-26-2008, 2:56 PM
Called my new dealer today with DD's number and what not. I will know once he contacts me again.

Gator Monroe
07-26-2008, 3:10 PM
Don't give up (Find an FFL who wil listen to DD's Ranch)

CSACANNONEER
07-26-2008, 3:32 PM
I think you are trying to compare apples to oranges. Although I don't have any experience with the WASR22 and I'm still kicking myself for not picking up one of the military trainer .22lr AKs that were on the market a few years ago, I did just get a used GSG and have only put 100-200 rounds through it at an indoor range. I will say that I was able to control myself for one mag and actually aim at the target 50 feet away. I was very impressed to see a 6 round clover leaf with the other four rounds being close to them. I was using the iron sights and the front post seemed exceptionally wide since it coved over half the target. I didn't buy it to be a percission rifle but, it's good to know that it is capable of shooting decent groups. I doubt that I could get the same results with a WASR22 even though its on my short list of fun guns to get.

Gator Monroe
07-26-2008, 3:52 PM
I think you are trying to compare apples to oranges. Although I don't have any experience with the WASR22 and I'm still kicking myself for not picking up one of the military trainer .22lr AKs that were on the market a few years ago, I did just get a used GSG and have only put 100-200 rounds through it at an indoor range. I will say that I was able to control myself for one mag and actually aim at the target 50 feet away. I was very impressed to see a 6 round clover leaf with the other four rounds being close to them. I was using the iron sights and the front post seemed exceptionally wide since it coved over half the target. I didn't buy it to be a percission rifle but, it's good to know that it is capable of shooting decent groups. I doubt that I could get the same results with a WASR22 even though its on my short list of fun guns to get.

What .22 lr Military Trainer are you speaking of (From a few years ago?)

Gator Monroe
07-26-2008, 3:54 PM
I hit Medium Sized Styrofoam cups at 100 yards (Iron Sights) all day long with my WASR 22 !

Gator Monroe
07-26-2008, 3:59 PM
What .22 lr Military Trainer are you speaking of (From a few years ago?)

AKT-98 is an early variant of WASR 22 from different Importer (Romanian rimfire AK imported by SOG= southern Ohio Guns ) WITH SLIGHT DIFFERENCES IN bOLT & extractor and plastic furniture insted of Wood and their problems were deemed worse than WASR 22...

DedEye
07-26-2008, 5:28 PM
I had a WASR22 and traded it for a Sig. It was a decent gun but had some issues that I didn't have the time to iron out (needed the top cover widened to prevent spent brass from jamming into the bolt area). I do want to get another at some point, and since it's rimfire and doesn't have huge recoil I really want to put an underfolder stock on it somehow.

socomIInato
07-31-2008, 8:42 AM
B. Remett in culver city has one. Make a call and take a ride to socal.

xxINKxx
07-31-2008, 9:01 AM
I don't know anything about the wasr 22 you guys speak of, but I have a gsg-5, its a fun lil gun for 500$, you can rapid fire it as fast as your finger can go and it won't jam at all.....super reliable and fun..and its pretty damn accurate

DDs Ranch
08-02-2008, 9:17 AM
Which one should I get? I want the WASR 22 becuase its cheaper and can take standard AK Furniture but the GSG5 is pretty cool too. I went to my dealer today to see if he could get me a WASR 22 he looked on the Century Website and it said they wont ship it to CA. So he said he wouldn't get that for me but he could get the GSG5 if I really want it. Hmmm... I know guys here have WASR 22's but where can I get one? MY Dealer even said DDs Ranch wont even deal with California now since that new silly law with shipping guns took effect he didnt even look nor try. What a buncha crap I know there are plenty of folks here with WASR 22s. I have a couple more dealers I can try but I dunno. Can you guys help me out?

That is totally incorrect, we still and always will ship to California!!!

Saigon1965
08-02-2008, 9:46 AM
That is totally incorrect, we still and always will ship to California!!!

Need to clear that up with his FFL -

ZombieFerox
08-16-2008, 1:58 AM
I love my GSG-5!

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s333/zombieferox/n732655587_1148762_9494.jpg

:63:

DrunkSkunk
08-16-2008, 2:07 AM
since you can't have 10+rd mags, gsg sucks

SanSacto
08-16-2008, 2:19 AM
WASR 22 vs GSG 5 vs Kel-Tec SU-22CA!!!!!! Same thing I said in another post, but is this a sweet plinker or what?

SturmTrooper
08-16-2008, 12:10 PM
AK eh ill stick with a ruger

Pred@tor
08-16-2008, 5:18 PM
My FFL hasn't contacted DDs ranch oh well I guess I will get cool things when I move...

IH8CALAWS
08-16-2008, 7:21 PM
I get my wasr-22 on monday:cool:

Vinz
08-16-2008, 8:00 PM
My FFL hasn't contacted DDs ranch oh well I guess I will get cool things when I move...

Why don't you contact DD ranch and see what friendly FFL's he deals with in Califonia? Im sure he has a few listed. Im going through the same thing with getting a CA legal XCR shipped here.

vinz

Bizcuits
08-16-2008, 8:24 PM
Personally I'd never buy a WASR-22.. To an AK is a hard hitting beast, to dress up a 22 to look like an AK, is just an insult.

Besides a WASR-10 is only a $100 more.

I'd go Ruger 10/22 before I'd go either though.

gn3hz3ku1*
08-17-2008, 5:23 PM
Personally I'd never buy a WASR-22.. To an AK is a hard hitting beast, to dress up a 22 to look like an AK, is just an insult.

Besides a WASR-10 is only a $100 more.

I'd go Ruger 10/22 before I'd go either though.

a 22 mp5 is kinda of in insult to the most used spec op weapon but hey it sure is fun to shot...

plus airsoft parts is cheaper than ak parts :)