PDA

View Full Version : New T/C Icon "Warlord" Rifle

FMJBT
07-24-2008, 4:28 PM
Looks like they finally made a tactical version of the Icon:
http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=221&Itemid=70

The New Icon
Thompson/Center Veers From Tradition With Its Warlord
Monday, 16 June 2008

http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/images/stories/news/art/products/t/tc_warlord_close_370_tcarms.jpg
For the first time in its history, Thompson/Center Arms (a Smith & Wesson company) has moved outside its traditional market of sporting and hunting arms. (Photo: Thompson/Center Arms)Asked to name a few companies that manufacture quality tactical rifles, most TacticalGunFans wouldn't include the name Thompson/Center Arms.

Although respected for its line of Encore pistols and carbines, as well as black-powder rifles, "tactical" just didn't seem a part of Thompson/Center's vocabulary.

That all changed when the company announced its new Warlord. This modern-look, bolt-action precision rifle, which is geared toward the LE market, is a complete departure from the company's sporting/hunting heritage.

Not only that, but with a name as politically incorrect and in-your-face as "Warlord," it's obvious Thompson/Center means business in this market.

An Icon

The heart of this new Warlord model is its Icon-based action. The concept for the Icon action is still fairly new for Thompson/Center - less then 2 years old, in fact, with production models unveiled last year. Sporting rifles built on the new Icon action were the first to be introduced.

That Thompson/Center would build a bolt-action rifle was itself something of a surprise to the industry. It was even more of a surprise when the company introduced a thoroughly modern bolt-action design closer in concept to certain European models, such as Sako's TRG.

http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/images/stories/news/art/products/t/tc_warlord_prone_370_gatv.jpg
The Warlord is Thompson/Center's newest addition to its Icon line, and is aimed squarely at the LE market. (Photo: Guns&Ammo TV)And even though Icon was introduced in a sporting rifle, Thompson/Center planned from the outset to build a tactical rifle based upon Icon. That weapon was the Warlord, according to Thompson/Center head of research and development Mike Laney.
Rather than just build a traditional action, Thompson/Center desired to build a flexible modern design to serve as the basis for not only hunting rifles, but also tactical and competition guns, Laney noted.

However, the Warlord isn't just an Icon with a heavy barrel screwed onto it. There are differences in the action itself.

Warlord Specs

Like all Icons, the Warlord is CNC-machined from solid-bar stock steel. Unlike the standard Icon though, the Warlord's action features an integral full-length scope rail machined into the receiver top. This is said to add strength and help to stiffen the action.

The full-length rail features MIL STD 1913 cuts and 20 MOA of incline. Since the scope rail's machined directly into the receiver, there's no need for an additional scope rail, oversize screws or dowel pins.

http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/images/stories/news/art/products/t/tc_icon_vert_tcarms.jpg
The Warlord's based upon Thompson/Center's new for 2007 Icon, pictured above. (Photo: Thompson/Center Arms)
Also, whereas the standard Icon houses three recoil lugs, the Warlord has two. They're machined into the flat-bottom receiver and interface with an aluminum-bedding block.

A three-lug bolt with a 60-degree rotation rides inside the receiver.

To prevent dirt or debris from creating a bind in the Warlord's action, the bolt body is fluted to give debris a place to collect without clogging.

A "T-slot" extractor is fitted along with a conventional plunger-type ejector.

To provide both a visual and tactical indication that the weapon is cocked, a cocking indicator is fitted, which protrudes from the rear of the bolt sleeve.

A removable bolt handle allows a marksman to interchange bolt-handle styles to best fit his or her personal preference. In addition, the bolt assembly is easily broken down for routine maintenance with a supplied tool.

An adjustable trigger, preset to 3-3.5 pounds, is fitted to the bottom of the action. A two-position safety is mounted to the rear of the bolt handle and allows a marksman to load/unload the rifle with safety engaged. In addition, a separate bolt-lock is mounted to ensure the bolt remains closed during transport. This is automatically disengaged when the safety's placed on "fire."

Although hinged floorplates are still the norm on American LE marksman rifles, Thompson/Center added a detachable box magazine. However, rather then simply use the standard system (as on the original Icon), Thompson/Center used a copy of Badger Ordnance's well-respected design. This incorporates a paddle magazine-release and feeds from five- or 10-shot magazines (in .308 Winchester).

Detachable box magazines that work properly with domestically produced precision rifles are relatively new. The Icon action was thus designed from the ground up to feed from detachable magazines (unlike the older and more conventional Remington 700 and Winchester Model 70).

Mated to the Warlord's action is a heavy tapered, match-grade barrel measuring .9 inches at the muzzle. Rifling is 1-11.25 inch 5R while barrel length is 20 inches.

http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/images/stories/news/art/products/t/tc_warlord_prone_rear_370_gatv.jpg
Mike Laney, head of Thomson/Center's R&D department, said T/C's accuracy goal for the Warlord was .5 MOA or better. (Photo: Guns&Ammo TV)
It should be noted that Thompson/Center manufactures its barrels in-house. Laney noted the company has invested in both research and new machinery to further improve the quality of its barrels.

The barreled action is dropped into a Manner's composite T2A stock. The Manner stock's fitted with an adjustable cheekpiece, Pachmyer recoil pad and flush side-sling attachments. Metal work is finished in Thompson/Center's Weather Shield for added protection from the elements.

To start, Thompson/Center plans to offer the Warlord through its custom shop so that customers can specify individual features.

The rifle will initially be offered in .308 Winchester, but Thompson/Center already has plans for a longer action specifically for the .338 Lapua Magnum.

RobG
07-24-2008, 4:31 PM
Hmmm, the Lapua sounds very interesting:cool:

elSquid
07-24-2008, 7:34 PM
Looks like they finally made a tactical version of the Icon:
http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=221&Itemid=70

Hate the name, but am interested in the rifle.

-- Michael

dfletcher
07-24-2008, 9:34 PM
Hmmm, the Lapua sounds very interesting:cool:

This SUCKS. :mad: Here I am on the verge of buying a heavy barreled Rem 700 in 338 RUM and T/C talks about the 338 Lapua in their future? Their toying with me.

timmyb21
07-24-2008, 9:46 PM
This SUCKS. :mad: Here I am on the verge of buying a heavy barreled Rem 700 in 338 RUM and T/C talks about the 338 Lapua in their future? Their toying with me.

Remington has a 700P chambered for the .338 Lapua Mag, in case you didn't know.

Greenspartan117
07-24-2008, 10:02 PM
This rifle does indeed look very promising, an accuracy guarantee, a DBM system, bolt fluting... It looks good to me :-P

harlot
07-24-2008, 11:19 PM
When and how much? Really though, it looks great for people like me who aren't good or experienced enough for a custom rifle and don't want to wait for one either, but still want a damn good gun and have the $ to blow on it.

dfletcher
07-25-2008, 9:22 AM
Remington has a 700P chambered for the .338 Lapua Mag, in case you didn't know.

Ah - the ever elusive 700 MLR. I've heard of them actually exisiting, spied one on Guns America and even had a line on one (cc#, arrival date) from Sniper PX until the "won't ship to CA" posting hit the website. Too bad, seemed like a very good fellow to do business with.

ar15barrels
07-25-2008, 10:06 AM
When and how much?

Ditto.
When and how much?

CHS
07-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Are those M14/M1A mags? Because that would be sweet.

hybridatsun350
07-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Well if their really aiming to sell a lot of them to LE than they can't be too expensive. We hope...:)

ar15barrels
Are those M14/M1A mags? Because that would be sweet.

AI mags.

ar15barrels
Well if their really aiming to sell a lot of them to LE than they can't be too expensive. We hope...:)

I'm guessing $1200ish.
That's a bargain for everything that gun has to offer.

hybridatsun350
07-25-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm guessing $1200ish.

Yea, $1200 sounds about right and that would be awesome! :cool2:

aplinker
07-25-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm guessing $1200ish.

Too low. I'm going with $1800

DJDace
07-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Even if it was a happy medium between those numbers at $1500, that's till a great price not to mention a great option for shooters who want into the Tac/Precision rifle game but aren't ready to try and build their own custom rig.

Slap a Leupy on that baby and you are ready to send lead down range with a huge s**t-eating grin on your face.

Hell I'd buy one!

buffybuster
07-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Looks good on paper. I'd like to get my hands on one (like everyone else).

Nit Picking, I would like a 24" barrel.

FMJBT
07-25-2008, 6:32 PM
There's an article on this rifle by David Fortier in this weeks edition of Shotgun News. I saw it in the magazine rack but only had time to skim through it. No mention of price, or when it will be available as a production model that I saw. For now it supposed to be available through the T/C custom shop. If these become available with a 24" or 26" barrel for under $2000, I can definitely see one in my future.

Guntech
07-25-2008, 6:45 PM
How long till we can get it?

FMJBT
07-25-2008, 6:51 PM
How long till we can get it?

I wish I knew. I've had my eye on the Icon ever since they were first introduced. With the direction they took on the design of that rifle, I was pretty sure a tactical version would eventually come out. I've been toying around with the idea of getting a CZ-750, but I think now I'll wait until the Warlord hits the market.

I love their choice of name too. Funny that a normally conservative company like T/C would pick a name like that as a big "F-You" to political correctness.

dfletcher
07-25-2008, 7:01 PM
I wish I knew. I've had my eye on the Icon ever since they were first introduced. With the direction they took on the design of that rifle, I was pretty sure a tactical version would eventually come out. I've been toying around with the idea of getting a CZ-750, but I think now I'll wait until the Warlord hits the market.
I love their choice of name too. Funny that a normally conservative company like T/C would pick a name like that as a big "F-You" to political correctness.

I'd been thinking the same re the CZ 750. I have a CZ 550 with kevlar stock in 308 Win. The 750 costs about $1K more than the 550, I'm guessing there's more difference between the gun than just the stock, but the 750 just didn't move me enough to spend that much more.

After screwing around for a while I just paid for an AR 30 in 338 Lapua Magnum, got it from SJGE. They're available, the price is good - figured I might as well go for it now since I'd sold off a few of my "low interest no use guns".

aplinker
07-25-2008, 7:29 PM
Looking at it again, I'm going with a street price in the range of $22-2400.

There's no way that's a sub-$2k rifle. Period.

X-NewYawker
10-14-2009, 8:38 AM
Ordering one in 308:

https://secure.tcarms.com//store/icon-warlord-in-308-win.html

Fjold
10-14-2009, 9:06 AM
And never available for lefties.

X-NewYawker
02-09-2010, 2:35 PM
Anyone get one yet? I am waiting on my .308... I got to handle one at SHOT Show and I am sold -- I need a gun I can neglect to take to CG long range shoots. It's supposed to deliver the accuracy with its 5R barrel.

Bug Splat
02-09-2010, 2:47 PM
3K? No thanks. You can build a very nice or nicer bolt gun with with glass for less than that.

X-NewYawker
02-09-2010, 5:05 PM
I think that the people at GAP and manners stocks helped collaborate on this gun. It seems t o have everything you would pay that much for in a custom gun -- it is not a stocking item -- it has to be ordered.