PDA

View Full Version : Selling Question

DoctorExplosivo
07-24-2008, 2:55 PM
So if my brother's friend bought a marlin lever action a couple years back and gave it to my brother. However, he bought the rifle in NY and I'm pretty sure its not registered. Could my brother sell it or trade it in a gun shop or does he have to have the proper transfer papers. How would they know? He wants to trade it in for a handgun purchase

aplinker
07-24-2008, 3:02 PM
Long guns are not registered in CA, however transfers not between up/down lineage in a family (parent/child, grandparent/grandchild) are required to be conducted at a FFL.

The transfer should have been done that way. I don't think there's a remedy for your brother at this point, as possession isn't the illegal act and there's no need to register a long gun.

Generally it's better, to CYA, to ask in the hypothetical.

Casual Observer
07-24-2008, 3:09 PM
Generally it's better, to CYA, to ask in the hypothetical.

So *IF* my brother bought a marlin lever action a couple years back and gave it to me. However, he *MIGHT HAVE* bought the rifle in NY and I'm pretty sure its not registered. *HYPOTHETICALLY* could I sell it or trade it in a gun shop or do I have to have the proper transfer papers. How would they know? Could I just tell them I bought it?

fixed :cool:

aplinker
07-24-2008, 3:21 PM
So my brother's friend bought a marlin lever action a couple years back and gave it to my brother. However, he bought the rifle in NY and I'm pretty sure its not registered. Could my brother sell it or trade it in a gun shop or does he have to have the proper transfer papers. How would they know? He wants to trade it in for a handgun purchase

There's no paperwork associated with it. The only thing the seller will be asked for is ID, some residency questions, and if they're the owner of the firearm.

DoctorExplosivo
07-25-2008, 7:17 PM
haha thanks people