PDA

View Full Version : SBR from out of State?

dd03
07-24-2008, 2:07 PM
My buddy will be moving to CA in a few months. He has nothing but AR short barreled rifles (SBR). We know he can't bring in the short barrles, but can he bring in just the reciever and put a 16 inch barrel on it and make it CA compliant? Or is there some sort of paper work he has to do?

ke6guj
07-24-2008, 2:14 PM
According to the ATF, that receiver is an SBR even if it does not currently have a short barrel on it. So, legally he would need to file a http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f532020.pdf to transport it accross state lines. But since it would not be legal in CA, it wouldn't be approved.

He can write a letter to the ATF stating that he has removed the barrell and returned the reciever to Title 1 status, and ask that the ATF update the registry to show that the receiver is no longer an SBR. Then, he could bring it to CA without needing a 5320.20 as long as it wasn't in AW config.

Be aware, that if he later wanted to re-SBR it if he moved out of CA, he would need to spend another $200 for a new tax stamp.

Casual Observer
07-24-2008, 2:15 PM
Its probably cheaper and easier to store his SBRs out of state and just start fresh when he moves into CA.

dd03
07-24-2008, 2:23 PM
Jack,
Thanks for the info.

CO,
I think you're right.

Thanks guys, I'll relay the info to my buddy.

AYEAREFIFTEEN
07-24-2008, 2:44 PM
Jack,
Thanks for the info.

CO,
I think you're right.

Thanks guys, I'll relay the info to my buddy.

Even if he removed the SBR status the receiver may still be listed by name and banned. If the receiver is not banned by name then it must be configured properly for california. (No evil features or mag locking device/bullet button.)