PDA

View Full Version : Off range target shooting

Runitai
07-24-2008, 2:01 PM
I'm wondering if there's anywhere in the San Francisco bay area to go target shooting NOT at a shooting range. Shooting ranges are great and all, but my buddy and I would like to go shoot some veggies at distances greater than 300 yards and practice ranging/spotting while we're at it. Seems like it would be fine to do this on any hunting ground, but some of the hunting areas I see specifically forbid target shooting. I'm still relatively new to shooting in California, so I don't want to guess what the penalties might be for shooting cabbages during deer season.

USN CHIEF
07-24-2008, 2:03 PM
Well, you came to the right spot for that info. Welcome to Cal Guns. It will not be long before some of the SF shooters give you the info that you need. But from I have read in the past you might have to travel a lil bit to get to one of them spots.

sorensen440
07-24-2008, 2:03 PM
Im interested if there are any as well
your best bet if not is to buddy up with a rancher or one of the many vineyards
deer rabbits and sometimes ground squirrels are not good for grape vines

And welcome to calguns !!

trinydex
07-24-2008, 4:56 PM
are these secret squirrel places?

BroncoBob
07-24-2008, 6:13 PM
Panoche Hills is a good spot. No shooting the little varmints are permitted. Just clean up your mess before you leave. No restrooms, it's you and the bush for cover. Wind can kick up in the afternoon.

SJgunguy24
07-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Cow Mountain, Lake County BLM. I think it's 30000 acres. Look it up,the land is broken up for different uses. Maybe check out Lake Pillsberry,and Cache Creek. Lake County has tons of places to shoot.