PDA

View Full Version : Whats more accurate?

Model X
07-24-2008, 1:16 PM
So as the title says... whats more accurate..

an AES-10b RPK style

or a Saiga 16" (or even 20") 7.62 rifle

aplinker
07-24-2008, 1:28 PM
This is a bit odd of a question and tough to answer.

What do you consider to be accurate? What kind of ammo do you intend to use?

Comparatively they'll be pretty close, but the RPKs will vary because they're surplus.

Model X
07-24-2008, 1:31 PM
just in general, i'm not looking for anything wildly specific. Ammo would likely be cheap Wolf Ammo. I know that neither of these are dead on accurate, but relatively speaking...

aplinker
07-24-2008, 1:36 PM
With Wolf you'd absolutely be ammunition limited, so I'd argue they'd be the same. My RPK experience is shooting them a few times, but Saigas shoot well. From what I've heard from RPK owners they can shoot more accurately than an AK, but this would take better ammo.

Think 2-4MOA (2-4" groups at 100yds)

Model X
07-25-2008, 6:13 PM
And to further compound this matter, how do they stack up against a WASR-3 with cheapo wolf ammo?

is the WASR of such poor quality that even with the .223 round its still less accurate?

sb_pete
07-25-2008, 6:55 PM
The problem will always be your ammo choice here. Cheap Wolf ammo is just that - cheap. It is alot of fun to shoot and I blast away with it in my SKS, but you're never going to be any better than 2-4 MOA with it. Sometimes it will shoot worse. It will vary from lot to lot of ammo. Steel cased, cheapo Russian plinking ammo (Wolf, Barnaul, crayola Bear, etc.) does two things well - it is cheap, and it reliably goes bang. Wolf .308 wouldn't be better than 2-4 MOA even in a purpose built precision rifle. This is because the ammo is not very consistent in its manufacturing so each time it goes bang, the bullet flies somewhat differently than the last.

That said. Match grade 7.62x39 is hard to find, period. so with the RPK, you will have trouble ever being accurate unless you roll your own.

Match grade .223 and .308 are plentiful. .223 is cheaper than .308. I don't imagine with those gun options that you're looking for real long range stuff, so I would go with .223 because it'll get you out as far as your probably going to shoot (about 500-600yds max with that setup). You can shoot the cheap stuff all day long but still get match grade (or at least quality) stuff when you want to really test accuracy. 7.62x39 is still cheaper than .223 in general though. .308 is just not cheap to shoot, period. Trust me, at $.50-$1 (and up) a trigger pull it really hurts these days.

Hope that helps
-Pete

Model X
07-25-2008, 7:09 PM
Thanks pete, thats basically what i was looking for.

So in that case...

is the WASR-3 significantly worse in the accuracy department against a .223 saiga? assuming they are both using match grade ammo.

sb_pete
07-27-2008, 2:25 AM
Well, I'll give you a free bump in the hopes that someone with first hand knowledge of that comparison can chime in, but I have no experience with either of those rifles :shrug:
Good luck!