PDA

View Full Version : 1919A6 legality

gunsnrovers
07-24-2008, 6:28 AM
Have received more then a couple PM's about the pics of my 1919A6 in the last 3~4 weeks.

Both threads were pulled by mods concerned about the legality of the weapon. No harm no foul. It's not my intention to toss pics of questionable weapons on the net and I appreciate the mods being proactive. We're all here to promote legal gun ownership in the state.

That being said, it's been my understanding that the 1919A6, even with a shoulder stock, is not considered an assault weapon due to it's pistol grip not meeting the DOJ's description of one.

CCR 11 5469 states a "pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon" means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp in which the web of the trigger hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top of the exposed portion of the trigger while firing.

The position of your hand on the 1919A6 is the same as that on the 1919A4. The stock of an A6 is attached to the buffer tube on the back plate of the A4, but does not change the grip or it's location. It also, even in the A6 configurations, remains a crew served weapon.

There is also this 2000 letter from the DOJ to TNW, one of a few manufacturers of the 1919 and M2, addressing the legality of the 1919 and linked belts. The letter specifically lists the 1919A4 and 1919A6.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/drhm2hb/TNW1919DOJLetter.jpg

The letter doesn't address the legality of the A6's flash hider which I'd wager was an oversight on their part, which is why I run a standard A4 booster.

I'd appreciate any thoughts and input. Just trying to clarify the issue a little. :)

saki302
07-24-2008, 8:03 AM
I've seen a LOT of A6-stock configured guns at the ranges over the years (some use the stock with AA tripod as a stabilizer), and no one to my knowledge has been bothered for it yet. Following the letter above, I'd say it's fine. A flash hider most definitely is not though.

The A6 config does not relocate the pistol grip at all, it is still behind, not beneath the action. Remember, for the first 2 years all the 1919 builds were based on the above letter, not the argument that it is 'not a rifle' which I still find a bit too close to the edge fo rmy tastes.

If you wanted a correct look, I'm sure 2 ports can be drilled on the top of the FH and a washer welded in place in the front to create a muzzle brake, which may even work somewhat.. No one has tried it yet. You will not see the ports from the side, so it will look proper (don't know if it will affect function though as the A6 FH was designed to work with .30-06, not .308, or 8mm, or ??).

-Dave

jmlivingston
07-24-2008, 9:19 AM
Thanks for that info, and the clarification on your build. I knew the 1919A4 was good to go, but thought the A6 was troublesome.

We'd also had a few PM's from members concerned about the AW status of it. Frankly, that's how your other post was brought to my attention.

John

P.S.
It's a nice looking build, by the way!

AaronHorrocks
07-24-2008, 9:54 AM
It's not a "pistol grip" it is a Handle.

And in california, leave the flash hider off to keep it legal, please.

AYEAREFIFTEEN
07-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Also, as we discussed, for those individuals that purchased linked ammunition in excess of ten rounds prior to January 1st, 2000, the individuals may continue to possess that linked ammuntions since possession is not addressed under this new law.

This is another issue that seems to get a lot of mixed feelings here. I've heard a lot of advice from people saying not to shoot your linked ammunition past 11 rounds to maintain the "High-Capacity" nature of the linked ammuntion.

The question I have is, why not shoot the entire link/belt? :confused:

As far as I'm aware there is no law against disassembly and reassembly of your "High-Capacity" feeding device. The 1919 (or any other belt fed firearm) is just acting as a disassembly tool so to speak. This is almost like saying you shouldn't disassemble your AR, AK, Beretta, H&K, etc, hi-cap mags and and be able to put them back together again.

cactus
07-24-2008, 3:59 PM
Thank you for your letter I printed a copy and now keep it with my 1919. You can never have to much paper work especially with the stares that thing gets! Thank you again!

saki302
07-25-2008, 6:40 AM
I keep my pre-ban links with over 11 rounds always, just out of paranoia. But I guess if you had them prior to 2000 and reassembled them after shooting, you wouldn't technically be manufacturing a new hi-cap mag, would you?

I didn't think this was ever an issue with belts, as they are always high-capacity (capacity does not decrease as they are shot).

-Dave

savageevo
07-25-2008, 7:28 AM
Thanks I needed that letter to add to my collection also.

Beelzy
07-25-2008, 7:38 AM
From what I understand, one should never be SEEN linking ammo longer
than 10 rounds. For that would make the linker a "maufacturer" of an ammo
feeding device over 10rds, which is Verboten.

The ranges I have shot mine at always caution me about it, among other
things. ;)

AYEAREFIFTEEN
07-25-2008, 8:46 AM
From what I understand, one should never be SEEN linking ammo longer
than 10 rounds. For that would make the linker a "maufacturer" of an ammo
feeding device over 10rds, which is Verboten.

The ranges I have shot mine at always caution me about it, among other
things. ;)

The manufacturer is the company that makes the links. (Presses them, bends them, forges them, whatever.) Just like the parts of your car are manufactured, the actual car itself is assembled from the manufactured parts.

There is no law against assembly and disassembly of hi-cap magazines. If that were the case it would be a felony every time you took your hi-cap mag apart to clean or repair it.

Why not link up another 100 rounds? You are reassembling a legally possess high capacity feeding device. Unless you have one hell of a metal forging operation in your back yard, I don't see how you can be manufacturing anything.