PDA

View Full Version : QD Rings

dfletcher
07-23-2008, 5:37 PM
I have an HS Precision take down with a 300 RUM and 375 RUM barrel. I currently use a single scope and 2 piece Leupold QD rings. They work very well, but any switch from barrel one to barrel two and back requires a few "resight in" shots on barrel one. I don't want to use military or tactical type mounts/rings, they don't look right on the rifle as it has a conventional stock. Is there anything similar to the Leupold that will give 100% return to zero or am I expecting too much?

Guntech
07-23-2008, 6:14 PM
Your expecting to much, get a boresighter

Alanski56
07-23-2008, 6:16 PM
Good evening!

I use Warne QD rings exclusively and they always return to zero. I think they might even guarantee this but I can't be certain about that.

dfletcher
07-23-2008, 7:02 PM
Good evening!

I use Warne QD rings exclusively and they always return to zero. I think they might even guarantee this but I can't be certain about that.

I have Warnes on other rifles and like them, but I don't want to use Weaver bases for this rifle. Want to stick with rings that have the turn in style to them. Talley seems quite good.

novanryder
07-23-2008, 10:29 PM
there's always cammed scope bases...

aplinker
07-24-2008, 1:52 AM
No.

First off, return to zero won't happen for two rifles. They're going to have different settings. A bore sighter is no help, either, as you'll still need to adjust for range.

Secondly, twist rings aren't even designed to be removed or have return to zero.

dfletcher
07-24-2008, 8:03 AM
No.

First off, return to zero won't happen for two rifles. They're going to have different settings. A bore sighter is no help, either, as you'll still need to adjust for range.

Secondly, twist rings aren't even designed to be removed or have return to zero.

Correct on the rings, agree. The Leupold QDs are a post type & locking lever, not turn in, but they do have that general look as opposed to the weaver appearance. On this gun, the weavers would look a bit boxy, I don't want that look.

And the HS is one gun, has two separate takedown barrels in different calibers. I know the 300 & 375 barrels aren't going to have the same point of impact, although I probably could work up some loads that would come close, don't want to go that route.

When I take off the sighted in 300 RUM barrel, use the 375 RUM barrel (with its own separate scope) for a while and then switch back to the 300 RUM barrel, I want the 300 RUM to still be sighted in with that scope. And I want the same for the 375 RUM barrel and its separate scope.

As it stands now, I have to resight when I reattach each barrel. Usually about 2" up and/or down, which I'm guessing is about as good as I'm going to get.

Fjold
07-24-2008, 8:36 AM
I use the Talley bases and QD rings on my 375 H&H and have taken my scope off probably 25 times. I've never had to adjust the scope settings.

You do have to be consistent on how you put the scope on each time.

I put the scope on and push it all the way forward in the cross slots.
Then I tighten the front lever down to about 1/2 force.
Tighten the rear ring to full torque
And lastly I tighten the front ring to full torque.

dfletcher
07-24-2008, 8:51 AM
I use the Talley bases and QD rings on my 375 H&H and have taken my scope off probably 25 times. I've never had to adjust the scope settings.

You do have to be consistent on how you put the scope on each time.

I put the scope on and push it all the way forward in the cross slots.
Then I tighten the front lever down to about 1/2 force.
Tighten the rear ring to full torque
And lastly I tighten the front ring to full torque.

Thanks, I think the Talley is worth a try. I follow the same routine, problem with the Leupold is that there is no definite or physical block to how far the lever can be turned. It's a non - concentric cam that tuns against a cut in the ring stem, so if you've just eaten your Wheaties there has to be a slight change. I'm beginning to think I should just have my pay check mailed to Brownells - this buying of stuff never ends.

maxicon
07-24-2008, 4:20 PM
Most of the QD rings and mounts will return to zero on the same barrel/upper if you attach it the same way with about the same torque.

Most will also need resighting when switching from one barrel or upper to another unless you get really lucky. The best way around that is to note the click adjustments between barrels and reset the zero each time you switch.