PDA

View Full Version : SP89 Questions????

Infidel
07-23-2008, 4:08 PM
My Dad is giving me his HK SP89. First question is, as long as I make it a fixed mag I can PPT it right? Second question is, can I legally be gifted/inherit his preban 30 rd mags? Third question is, can I legally purchase another barrel, add a fake can to make it 16" and also add a rifle stock. I didn't want to ask this question on HKPRO in fear of being shot for modifying a virgin SP89... Thanks guys

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/aronreyes/sp89.jpg

aplinker
07-23-2008, 4:12 PM
1.) Yes, you can PPT, there's a Raddlock for the SP89 - you don't need to PPT if he's gifting, though (there's a form at DOJ you mail in)
2.) No, you can not give hi-caps
3.) yes, you can convert a pistol to a rifle, if you have a 16" barrel and OAL >30"
4.) This should be in the pistol section :p

Infidel
07-23-2008, 4:13 PM
Should it be in the pistol section even if I'm talking about making it a rifle?

HAH...got you there!!!!!

AJAX22
07-23-2008, 4:19 PM
since it is coming from your father, you can fill out an interfamillial transfer form and send it (along with $19) instead of going through the PPT process

Rifles do not require paperwork to be transfered from father to son within the state of CA

You will still need it to be in a non-AW configuration.

If it is a registered assult weapon, you will need to convert it to a non AW configuration, and then de-register it.

NeoWeird
07-23-2008, 4:31 PM
Since the rest has been covered already, I'll ask the next question...

WHY would you even WANT to convert an SP89 to a rifle?! That would degrade it's value so much, and with the money you're talking about spending you could easily buy any number of HK clones in the configuration you want but you would still have the somewhat hard to find SP89.

This question is especially pertinant if it truely is a virgin SP89.

Infidel
07-23-2008, 9:42 PM
I don't necessarily have to convert it into a rifle. I had just seen a couple of different posts on other forums where guys had done that, and it peaked my interest. Buying a CA-94 or any of the other clones is actually what I have been looking into, and while talking to my Dad about it he was saying I could have his SP89. I was just checking to see if it would still be CA legal.

ruey220
07-27-2008, 11:58 PM
I don't necessarily have to convert it into a rifle. I had just seen a couple of different posts on other forums where guys had done that, and it peaked my interest. Buying a CA-94 or any of the other clones is actually what I have been looking into, and while talking to my Dad about it he was saying I could have his SP89. I was just checking to see if it would still be CA legal.

if you're ever thinking of selling it let me know!

aplinker
07-28-2008, 12:19 AM
if you're ever thinking of selling it let me know!

There's at least one in the for sales right now.

ruey220
08-02-2008, 9:09 PM
There's at least one in the for sales right now.

he's not willing to come to San francisco.