PDA

View Full Version : how much does it hurt to shoot 12ga pistol grip?

trinydex
07-23-2008, 12:47 PM
so who's done it? i've heard of wrist snapping painfulness... true? false? technical way to hold it so it doesn't hurt as much?

MAX100
07-23-2008, 1:03 PM
It is not bad with standard birdshot but with magnum loads, heavy loads of buckshot and with slugs it will be painful. Don't try and aim one like a shotgun with a butt stock because you will be missing some front teeth afterwards. Shoot one from the hip or the side.

GC

gose
07-23-2008, 1:28 PM
It is not bad with standard birdshot but with magnum loads, heavy loads of buckshot and with slugs it will be painful. Don't try and aim one like a shotgun with a butt stock because you will be missing some front teeth afterwards. Shoot one from the hip or the side.
GC

Depends on how big and strong you are ;)

I shot my pistol-gripped Benelli M1 several times, pistol-style, with both hands on the pistol grip and the buttstock a couple of inches from my face. It kicks a bit, but it's definitely manageable. A shotgun without a stock will be lighter, kick more and probably not be as manageable, but it should still be doable.

Guntech
07-23-2008, 1:31 PM
I have heard of really small women breaking their wrist, but I have also seen some really scrawny teenagers shoot them without a problem.

sorensen440
07-23-2008, 1:32 PM
not too bad
I too would recomend against magnum and 3 inch shells

Biff...
07-23-2008, 1:33 PM
Don't let others fool you, it hurts like a mother****er. You have been warned.

Black Majik
07-23-2008, 1:46 PM
If you bought a gun from cpmoore, you're man enough to shoot a pistol gripped shotgun.

scotthmt
07-23-2008, 1:52 PM
/\ your post count is 1911

saki302
07-23-2008, 2:26 PM
An 18" full sized shotgun? No sweat- eaaaaasyyyyy.
Why do I say this?

I shot an SBS when I was out of state- something like a 7-8" barrel (Serbu super shorty is still smaller), but this one had no vertical foregrip. The owner had the courtesy to let me fire 3" magnums out of it :D

No bones were broken, but the shotgun recoiled violently enough that the pump cycled back (without my hand on it) and ejected the spent casing. This made the .500S&W seem tame by comparison (but my scandium .357 actually hurts my hand more).

I shot it twice, maybe because I was in a daze the second time :D

-Dave

DVLDOC
07-23-2008, 2:53 PM
Not bad at all! As long as you have a firm grip you'll be fine.

locktime
07-23-2008, 2:59 PM
The other question: can you actually hit anything with it?

byrom1212
07-23-2008, 3:16 PM
I shoot my Ithaca 37 with a 18" barrel with a pistol grip all the time when hog hunting and I never shoot anything but 00 buckshot. And it doesnt hurt at all the 1st time now after you have emptied the gun your rist is a little sore.

And yes you can hit a target with a pistol grip I have shot skeet with it.

ZOMBIEHUNTER
07-23-2008, 4:34 PM
i shot mine one handed holding it like a pistol yeah they kick but i dont know anyone that target shoots with one i kept on for home defense for a while then i bought a regular stock for it

qswdef
09-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Go to Knoxx solutions. They have a demo of their pistol grip with built in recoil system. Reviews are pretty positive on it. The video shows a guy shooting a 12ga one handed with it.

bohoki
09-03-2008, 10:19 AM
its kind of like catching a foul ball bare handed

its something you dont mind doing once

but hope you dont have to do it again so soon

Justin562
09-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Don't let others fool you, it hurts like a mother****er. You have been warned.

I concur. After 15-25 rounds of 3" mag 00 buck and slugs,your thumb & wrist
Starts to feel beat. I have a mossberg 500a Hard plastic hand grip.
shooting bird shoot or 2 3/4 00 buck isn't that bad. you can awlays buy low recoil rounds .;)

AJAX22
09-03-2008, 11:49 AM
As long as the shotgun doesn't have an exposed hammer it won't hurt

If it does have an exposed hammer it can carve cunks out of your thumbs.... (I have neat matching scars on my hands from a shotgun we used to call 'thuddula'

Vic
09-03-2008, 12:05 PM
I've only shot standard birdshot out of a 12 gauge. I'm 120 pounds and 5'4 and I shoot it just fine.

savs2k
09-03-2008, 3:33 PM
it's not bad at all. If your worried go shoot some 8shots just to know.

Beelzy
09-03-2008, 4:04 PM
As long as you don't shoot high base magnums you will be ok.

I shot a shorty with Rem Premier magnums a few times and had trouble
writing at work for a week. Holy Cow did it sting!

Vectrexer
09-03-2008, 4:49 PM
An 18" full sized shotgun? No sweat- eaaaaasyyyyy.
Why do I say this?

I shot an SBS when I was out of state- something like a 7-8" barrel (Serbu super shorty is still smaller), but this one had no vertical foregrip. The owner had the courtesy to let me fire 3" magnums out of it :D

No bones were broken, but the shotgun recoiled violently enough that the pump cycled back (without my hand on it) and ejected the spent casing. This made the .500S&W seem tame by comparison (but my scandium .357 actually hurts my hand more).

I shot it twice, maybe because I was in a daze the second time :D

-Dave

Cool to know there is actually something in between the 500 and the 340 with magnum loads. Agree, the 340 hurts more with manly rounds in the cylinder. I might give the pistol grip a shot. (pun intended :))

LB21
09-03-2008, 6:21 PM
Don't try and aim one like a shotgun with a butt stock because you will be missing some front teeth afterwards. Shoot one from the hip or the side.

GC

Saw that happen at the range once, dude aims a cruiser like a rifle and gets a swollen lip. It was kinda funny.....:p

I never had a painful experience with my old pistol grip. I never liked the balance though so switched it out to a standard buttstock.

swift
09-03-2008, 7:30 PM
so who's done it? i've heard of wrist snapping painfulness... true? false? technical way to hold it so it doesn't hurt as much?

If you shoot shot, it's not a big deal. If you shoot slugs, the recoil is much more noticeable. It does not feel anywhere near as bad a a .308 pistol.

trinydex
09-03-2008, 7:32 PM
If you shoot shot, it's not a big deal. If you shoot slugs, the recoil is much more noticeable. It does not feel anywhere near as bad a a .308 pistol.

heh heh do tell

kpw001
09-04-2008, 9:01 PM
I've got a my 500 with a pistol grip and I've fired 000 buck and slugs and it gives a good kick but it's not going to knock you on your a**. But if you slap a Knoxx stock on you can shoot pretty much anything and have a good day.

scr83jp
09-04-2008, 9:16 PM
Cool to know there is actually something in between the 500 and the 340 with magnum loads. Agree, the 340 hurts more with manly rounds in the cylinder. I might give the pistol grip a shot. (pun intended :))
You shot a defective shotgun,for revolver grips get some Hogue Rubber Grips I have them on my 41mag & 45lc Ruger Blackhawks that I fire some +P loads thru and they absorb the recoil w/o hurting my hand.My S&W Mod 19 6" 357target has wood grips that fit my large hands and I've never had any sore hand problems from firing my own pocket rockets.