PDA

View Full Version : Truck Gun Racks - Legality

spencerhut
07-23-2008, 11:33 AM
I've got an old Scout with a gun rack in it. The gun rack has a cable presumably to lock the guns up. What laws are there that govern the use of such a rack?

sorensen440
07-23-2008, 11:34 AM
same as the backseat
long guns must be unloaded

you will likely draw unwanted attention though

Ironchef
07-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Probably get a brandishing charge if you so much as scratch your head after cutting someone off! Or, just get people calling in because they've only seen that kind of transportation of firearms on TV.

JOEKILLA
07-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Darn it, and I wanted to put a shotgun rack, similar to the ones the police cars have, in my Bronco. :D

Librarian
07-23-2008, 12:23 PM
same as the backseat
long guns must be unloaded

you will likely draw unwanted attention though

And lock it going through school zones. That's a good idea anyway, but FedLaw requires it.

spencerhut
07-23-2008, 12:49 PM
I was thinking about putting a low budget .22 and maybe a clapped out SKS or Mauser 98 in the rack. All unloaded and locked into the rack of course. :chris:

The Scout does not exactly have a high security system installed. Hell, I've run it without the doors as of late since it's a little hot, and the doors are all torn apart being restored to a usable condition.

Now I need to come up with some $99 guns I won't mind have confiscated or stolen. Maybe I'll just put a pellet gun in it. . . . . .

ukdkbr
07-23-2008, 1:19 PM
Now I need to come up with some $99 guns I won't mind have confiscated or stolen. Maybe I'll just put a pellet gun in it. . . . . .

How about some $89 guns?
http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/Default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=2504089&rapid=566189&listingid=-2091312818&pretailerid=-98565

sorensen440
07-23-2008, 1:19 PM
I was thinking about putting a low budget .22 and maybe a clapped out SKS or Mauser 98 in the rack. All unloaded and locked into the rack of course. :chris:

The Scout does not exactly have a high security system installed. Hell, I've run it without the doors as of late since it's a little hot, and the doors are all torn apart being restored to a usable condition.

remember just because its legal doesn't mean you wont get arrested for it

KDOFisch
07-23-2008, 1:21 PM
Now I need to come up with some $99 guns I won't mind have confiscated or stolen.

I know what you're getting at, but I would always mind the possibility of a firearm being stolen. Not only do you as an owner (now former owner ;) ) have to report it within 48 hrs, you also have the knowledge that some BG got into your property (truck) and armed himself thanks to lax security.

Either beef up the security or keep the rifle out of the truck unless you're inside or nearby.

spencerhut
07-23-2008, 1:43 PM
Either beef up the security or keep the rifle out of the truck unless you're inside or nearby.

Oh yeah . . . goes without saying.

remember just because its legal doesn't mean you wont get arrested for it

Uh . . only by a really dumb LEO. So I'll stay out of San Fran. Should be okay.

ojisan
07-23-2008, 1:54 PM
I saw a guy on the freeway here in So.Cal a couple years back. He had one of those extra dark stick-on window tint films on his pick-up truck back window. The tint film was cut up silhouette style so it looked exactly like a M-16 in a window mounted gun rack. I had to catch up to the guy to see if the gun was real. But it was flat! ; ))
I bet he gets pulled over all the time...LOL

ViPER395
07-23-2008, 2:02 PM
HTF could this net you a brandishing charge?

Ironchef
07-23-2008, 2:14 PM
HTF could this net you a brandishing charge?

THe same way lawfully open carrying can get you a 12025 charge...it all starts with a "man with a gun" call from some spaz seeing your gun rack with a gun in it driving a truck that just cut you off. It's not like 911 callers need to be honest when reporting something that's possible.

ViPER395
07-23-2008, 2:21 PM
I could see a LEO interaction, but actually taking a ride for a brandishing charge?

That just seems unlikely. [praying I am correct]

BTW, been pulled over with rifles in the racks. Unloaded check and we was good to go. Damn nice, those two, El Dorado County Mounties. [See SkyStorm?]

THe same way lawfully open carrying can get you a 12025 charge...it all starts with a "man with a gun" call from some spaz seeing your gun rack with a gun in it driving a truck that just cut you off. It's not like 911 callers need to be honest when reporting something that's possible.

Ironchef
07-23-2008, 2:43 PM
I'm just thinking of an incident in Concord a few months back where there was a brandishing call made from a motorist on highway 4 eastbound..someone saying a shotgun was being displayed by a motorist. In the end, there was chase by chp, concord pd, and probaly some ccc sheriff that ended up down an exit and up a hill where the guy was pulled over and brought to gun point right in front of the entrance to the concord pd academy.

Anyway, I don't know all the details of that incident, the dude was probably in road rage brandishing..i think it was a shotgun too (two hands on it?). But what if it was in a rack and the guy was having road rage and gestured to his shotgun...or maybe the caller(s) thought he was gesturing to the gun? Yeah, it's easy to imagine callers and what they'll say.

While he was definitely taken down town, I don't know if an innocent scenario as described above would result any differently. I can imagine driving along and suddenly having a few CHP behind me on a loud speaker telling me to pull over, then at gun point demanding i lay on the pavement face down, etc...because someone saw the gun in the rack and freaked. Without a witness to testify that you didn't brandish or gesture towards it, I can imagine a ride being taken to the PD.

EDIT: found the article..sorry no link. Looks like the gunman might have brandished/threatened someone with it..but who knows?

Motorist with gun arrested in Concord
By Lisa White

STAFF WRITER
Article Launched: 03/08/2008 07:43:32 PM PST

A man who brandished a rifle or shotgun at another motorist on Highway 4 on Saturday afternoon was arrested in front of the Concord police academy on Avila Road, according to police.

Concord Police Sgt. Matt Morrissey said police received a frantic 911 call just after 2:30 p.m. from a man who said a man had pointed a gun at him as they drove on Highway 4. Several other motorists followed the suspect's brown Toyota pickup truck, and reported his location to police, according to Morrissey.

Morrissey said the suspect, who had a pit bull with him in the truck, ended up on Avila Road where about 25 officers from the Concord police, Contra Costa Sheriff's office and the California Highway Patrol confronted him. CHP officers arrested the suspect, who did not appear to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, without resistance, Morrissey said.

ViPER395
07-23-2008, 2:49 PM
Agreed, IronChef.

No matter anyhow... In the day and age where legally transporting a gun locked in a case can result in an arrest, anything can happen.

ViPER395
07-23-2008, 2:53 PM
OMFG. :eek: Did you read that right there? He had a pit bull with him.
GUILTY. :rolleyes:

Why do they need to include that?

Would they have said "the suspect, who had a pekingese with him in the truck"?? I seriously doubt it.

Morrissey said the suspect, who had a pit bull with him in the truck, ended up on Avila Road where about 25 officers from the Concord police, Contra Costa Sheriff's office and the California Highway Patrol confronted him. CHP officers arrested the suspect, who did not appear to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, without resistance, Morrissey said.

locktime
07-23-2008, 3:06 PM
Could be wrong, but I thought the truck rear window gun racks were so you could carry your rifle without it being concealed.

Open carry in the cab was fine, concealed carry was not.

Rest assured that in rural America, there are many, many pickup trucks that still have rifles in their rear window racks.

My personal choice would be a 1970 Chevrolet C10 with a Winchester Model 70 in 30.06

GuyW
07-23-2008, 3:15 PM
Could be wrong, but I thought the truck rear window gun racks were so you could carry your rifle without it being concealed.
Open carry in the cab was fine, concealed carry was not.

FUD

CA law doesn't even contain the concept of a "concealed" rifle or shotgun...

spencerhut
07-23-2008, 3:52 PM
I've got M70 in .25-06 that is already bashed up/hacked up (was that way when it was GIVEN to me) I could put in the rack. :D

tankerman
07-23-2008, 6:24 PM
I think I'm going to order one.
http://hires.basspro.com/is/servlet/izoom/BassPro/51662?layer=comp&wid=500&hei=500&fmt=jpeg&qlt=100,0&op_sharpen=0&resMode=trilin&op_usm=1.0,1.0,0.0,0&iccEmbed=0

hntnnut
07-23-2008, 6:56 PM
I think you guys are parinoid. I had one in my f-150 and carried my SxS shotgun and Winchester Mdl. 70 and of all the interactions I ever had with law enforcement, only once did one of them ever have any intrest in the guns. And the only thing he asked was "Are those loaded?" This included numerous trips down to Victomville and San Bernardino.

Richard

Nodda Duma
07-23-2008, 8:35 PM
I think you guys are parinoid. I had one in my f-150 and carried my SxS shotgun and Winchester Mdl. 70 and of all the interactions I ever had with law enforcement, only once did one of them ever have any intrest in the guns. And the only thing he asked was "Are those loaded?" This included numerous trips down to Victomville and San Bernardino.

Richard

Yeah but think of what you're passing through to get to Victorville and SB from Lone Pine. Indian Wells Valley? Randsburg / Johannesburg? Four corners, etc.? That's a bit of a different world than out on the coast.

-Jason

JALLEN
07-23-2008, 8:45 PM
It's hard to imagine even reading this stuff. When I grew up in the Texas hill country, just about every pick up truck in the high school parking lot had at least one rifle, and few were even locked. There were countless pistols in glove boxes too. There was never any trouble about it.... everyone knew somebody could get hurt messing around with guns. They were tools, to be used and respected as such, not toys. Of course, we believed that the first day of deer season was a national holiday. It was a great shock to leave Texas and find out differently.

Guntech
07-23-2008, 8:47 PM
Yeah probably get you for brandishing since this is Kali, oh and yeah they can say you pointed it at them and get you arrested with no other witnesses.

tyrist
07-24-2008, 5:29 PM
Legal if it's unloaded. Advertising you have a firearm is a good way to get your vehicle broken into however.

ViPER395
07-24-2008, 5:34 PM
Agreed.

Using a gun rack is only for a one-way, non-stop trip to the shooting area/hunting trip. That's how we always do it. No stopping, unless it's to gas up, and then you're standing next to the rig anyways.

Legal if it's unloaded. Advertising you have a firearm is a good way to get your vehicle broken into however.

pepsi2451
07-25-2008, 9:02 AM
It's hard to imagine even reading this stuff. When I grew up in the Texas hill country, just about every pick up truck in the high school parking lot had at least one rifle, and few were even locked. There were countless pistols in glove boxes too. There was never any trouble about it.... everyone knew somebody could get hurt messing around with guns. They were tools, to be used and respected as such, not toys. Of course, we believed that the first day of deer season was a national holiday. It was a great shock to leave Texas and find out differently.

I know what you mean, up hear in Crescent City there are plenty of rifles in gun racks during hunting season. My dad told me the same thing about when he was in school, rifles in students trucks in the school parking lot and this was in CA. I went to the same high school and I remeber it being locked down because someone saw someone with a BB gun near a different school across town.

Smokeybehr
07-25-2008, 1:33 PM
Darn it, and I wanted to put a shotgun rack, similar to the ones the police cars have, in my Bronco. :D

That's legal, as long as the gun is unloaded.