PDA

View Full Version : Legal way to hold a friends firearm?

tiki
07-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi guys,
I have a question for the more senior members of the board, so, please, let those guys answer. Thanks.

I have a friend of mine who wants me to hold on to a firearm for him in my safe. Without going into all the details, he has kids in his house now and didn't before.
So, what I am asking is: What do I need to do to make sure this is done legally?

At a minimum, I am going to ask him to buy a lock and lock it and hold the keys. Other than that, what should I do?
The one thing that I am unsure about is he said he bought it in another state years ago, but, he doesn't remember if he filled out any paperwork for the state. I want to help him but I want to dot all 'I's" and cross all "T's".
How should I do this legally?
Thanks,
T.

gotgunz
07-23-2008, 1:49 PM
Run!

It's a setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:jump:

Sundowner
07-23-2008, 2:08 PM
Tell him to buy a lock for it and give you the keys. If it's locked, why would he worry about having it in a house with kids? Why should you take any legal risk for him? He should either buy a safe, lock, etc. or sell it.

sorensen440
07-23-2008, 2:35 PM
Tell him to buy a lock for it and give you the keys. If it's locked, why would he worry about having it in a house with kids? Why should you take any legal risk for him? He should either buy a safe, lock, etc. or sell it.

+1

Ironchef
07-23-2008, 3:09 PM
If you can find out if he's legal to own it, and if it legally belongs to him, then he can write you a note saying you are storing it for him at your residence.

But seriously, have him field strip it and store it in pieces if he's really that worried.

domokun
07-23-2008, 3:23 PM
Another thing you can do is write up a rental agreement and agree to rent him space in your safe for his firearm for like $1/yr or something like that and keep it in a locked container like everyone else has said.

Ballistic043
07-23-2008, 3:59 PM
if you take the pistol, its a good idea not to keep it longer than 30 days at a time.

tiki
07-23-2008, 4:40 PM
You know what, I like the idea of just giving him the lock and then holding the keys. I love you guys. :)

sloguy
07-23-2008, 5:14 PM
if theres any question about the guns history, make him keep it. period.

how old are the kids in his house? are they old enough to snip off a padlock?

if hes really that worried and wont get a real safe, tell him to use a multi case set up. disassemble pistol, put in small locking soft bag, put soft bag inside hard case, lock it with a combo lock, put that inside a larger case with locks. put the whole thing in a closet that has a lock. or something like that. or just get a real safe or other secure lock box.

TKM
07-26-2008, 6:12 PM
When my roommates psycho girlfriend went psycho the first time I took a few minutes and pulled the firing pins on all the automatics in his (open) safe.

He woke up to "click, click, click,,,,,,*%$*$*!#!^*--*&!!!!!"

Good thing I was the only one into wheelguns.

Mikeb
07-26-2008, 6:25 PM
He woke up to "click, click, click,,,,,,*%$*$*!#!^*--*&!!!!!"

I wonder if you could load that on a clock radio... That would get you up in the morning.
mike

motorhead
07-26-2008, 11:04 PM
you should hold it pointed in a safe direction.

pullnshoot25
07-26-2008, 11:50 PM
Dude, just hold the friggin firearm for the guy. It isn't like an alarm is going to go off and tell the police that the "frequent lenders program" has been activated.

As long as the gun isn't NFA applicable, then sleep easy at night. No one is going to use it in a crime or anything, right?