PDA

View Full Version : ar 15 magazines

tyrist
07-22-2008, 9:05 PM
Is there much difference in different makes. I know when I was last in a gun store the HK AR-15 mags were rediculously priced compared to colt and bushmaster.

USN CHIEF
07-22-2008, 9:07 PM
Most of the time it is the follower and springs that make the difference. The HK's have superior followers/springs than the rest.

aplinker
07-22-2008, 9:11 PM
Most of the time it is the follower and springs that make the difference. The HK's have superior followers/springs than the rest.

I'll agree with followers, but I won't with springs. And they won't sell you them once they go bad.

Everyone was all wound up about the HK mags, but have since abandoned them, due to issues. They move like they're on ball bearings, but I don't want a $60 ar mag that wears out and can't be easily fixed.

I'd say the current "hot" mags are Lancers and Pmags. After that, USGI mags with Magpul followers and springs.

Ballistic043
07-22-2008, 9:16 PM
when it comes to AR mags, alot of companies are using a similar design. some of them try to stand out with different springs or followers, but overall it is the same dull magazine. every so often a company comes along and offers something decent, like the C products or HK magazine.

if you do alittle research, you will also find the magpul Pmag to be especially popular amongst our crowd. it is an injection molded polymer magazine that is capable of withstanding abuse that normal,-even the most expensive AR magazines like the HK can not handle. it is built like a tank.

from my experience, the pmag is the only one worth mentioning that has 'stood out' from the rest of the crowd. it is an A+ performer

aplinker
07-22-2008, 9:47 PM
Are you unaware of Lancers?

http://www.lancer-systems.com/L5.html

They have a bunch of vids on YouTube, too. For several reasons I'd consider them a cut above PMAGs.

when it comes to AR mags, alot of companies are using a similar design. some of them try to stand out with different springs or followers, but overall it is the same dull magazine. every so often a company comes along and offers something decent, like the C products or HK magazine.

if you do alittle research, you will also find the magpul Pmag to be especially popular amongst our crowd. it is an injection molded polymer magazine that is capable of withstanding abuse that normal,-even the most expensive AR magazines like the HK can not handle. it is built like a tank.

from my experience, the pmag is the only one worth mentioning that has 'stood out' from the rest of the crowd. it is an A+ performer

Darklyte27
07-22-2008, 9:52 PM
the lancers are awesome, except the follower, if they put in a magpul anti tilt follower that would be the best mag out there in my opinion.

Ballistic043
07-22-2008, 10:34 PM
i do not like the looks or the followers on the lancer mags. the pmags use a proprietary follower system unlike others on the market that work more or less on the same concept. the pmag has a stiffer waffle construction and the feed lips are an integral part of the assembly. magpul is an industry leader in polymer products and they have done an outstanding job with their stocks & grips.

the L5 is a nice magazine with some cool features. i just prefer the magpuls for their no bs design

JeffM
07-22-2008, 10:43 PM
i do not like the looks or the followers on the lancer mags. the pmags use a proprietary follower system unlike others on the market that work more or less on the same concept. the pmag has a stiffer waffle construction and the feed lips are an integral part of the assembly. magpul is an industry leader in polymer products and they have done an outstanding job with their stocks & grips.

the L5 is a nice magazine with some cool features. i just prefer the magpuls for their no bs design

+1, now they just need to make AK mags, in both types of x39 please :D

aplinker
07-23-2008, 1:36 AM

There have been no reports of issues with the follower in the lancers. I haven't had an issue with mine.

Also, they include a good number of "enhancements" over PMAGs - not the least of which they will fit in all lowers (PMAGS are notorious for not fitting in many). The other features are: clear polymer allows you to see your load, metal feed lips, rubber bottom plate.

Now, understand, I'm not saying they're better than PMAGs, but they have some pretty hard core features that make them, for many people, better than PMAGs.

randy
07-23-2008, 2:52 AM
All of my mags are old (some are rebuilt now), look worn out have black, green, grey followers, lord knows what springs are in them and they seem to work.

I have some with cracked lips that I replaced not because they quit working but because they might quit working.

norcal-ar
07-23-2008, 7:33 AM
lent a friend my 10/20 p-mags and he said they were great but only used them twice. went out to the range about two weeks ago and on both mags when i get down to the last 3 shots or so they feed like junk. the carrier catches and dents the bullet.. i went to using the 10rd bushmaster i got with my lower and it has worked flawlessly!! not sure if the p-mags feed like c$%p cause they are modified 10/20's or what. but thats just my .02

Darklyte27
07-23-2008, 7:47 AM
The lancer metal feed lips are held by plastic rivets from what i see, im just thinking after wear and tear it might break off.