PDA

View Full Version : Defective Lower!? Send back to manufacturer...

skale240
07-22-2008, 8:57 PM
I bought a Spikes SL-15 lower a couple of months ago and finally put the buttstock and parts kit in a couple of weeks ago. When my Spikes 22lr upper arrived I attempted to put it on the lower. I normally put the front takedown pin in first then close the upper onto the lower and snap in the back takedown pin. Well when i did this the upper and lower wouldn't fit flush so I couldn't push the back takedown pin in. I then took the upper off and reseated it so it was flush on the lower and pushed the back takedown pin in but now the front takedown pin won't go in. From the looks of it the holes weren't matching up. Anyhow, I tried my 3 other uppers and it looks like its definitely the lower thats bad. I finally got a hold of Spikes via email and they told me to send it back so they can replace it. I know I can send it myself but do I request them to send me one with the same serial number? Also, is there anything else I should be aware of before sending it to them? They suggest I not send it through the Post Office.

jeffyboy
07-22-2008, 9:20 PM
I had to do the same. You can ship it UPS or FedEX. You'll have to take it to a distribution center though because the local shops can't ship them. Just tell the clerk it's a firearm. No big deal...easy stuff.

They will send you a new one with the same Serial number

Fjold
07-22-2008, 9:28 PM
Be sure to specify that you get the same serial number so you don't have to DROS it.

xcrunner805
07-22-2008, 9:28 PM
Shoulda bought a Mega...:beatdeadhorse5:

Pryde
07-22-2008, 9:31 PM
First, make sure that your buffer tube isn't screwed in too far.

Last month a guy posted with the same problem and it was because his tube was screwed in too many turns and the upper would not fully close on the lower.

Back it off one turn and try again.

Shoulda bought a Mega...:beatdeadhorse5:

Good idea if you don't mind that PMAGs don't drop free.

xcrunner805
07-22-2008, 9:38 PM
First, make sure that your buffer tube isn't screwed in too far.

Last month a guy posted with the same problem and it was because his tube was screwed in too many turns and the upper would not fully close on the lower.

Back it off one turn and try again.

Good idea if you don't mind that PMAGs don't drop free.

Yea good point, also I know sometimes the hammer back makes the upper mounting easier. I think the holes he said just don't line up, like they are angled slightly.

True, but the Cproducts steel mags no prob. PMAGs will drop free (mine does) if you take sandpaper to it. :D

bohoki
07-22-2008, 9:41 PM
Be sure to specify that you get the same serial number so you don't have to DROS it.

if its not a handgun it wont matter

PolishMike
07-22-2008, 9:43 PM
I had to do the same. You can ship it UPS or FedEX. You'll have to take it to a distribution center though because the local shops can't ship them. Just tell the clerk it's a firearm. No big deal...easy stuff.

They will send you a new one with the same Serial number

Pretty sure its fine to go usps since its technically a long gun.

5150Marcelo
07-22-2008, 9:45 PM
Shoulda bought a Noveske...:beatdeadhorse5:

Fixed it for ya!;):D

xcrunner805
07-22-2008, 9:51 PM
Fixed it for ya!;):D

:biggrinjester::36:

jeffyboy
07-22-2008, 9:57 PM
Pretty sure its fine to go usps since its technically a long gun.

I would not what to take that chance if it was me. In the OP original post even Spike's doesn't want it shipped USPS

......They suggest I not send it through the Post Office.

Pryde
07-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Here is the thread.

READ THIS before you mail that thing off to the manufacturer!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=108720

skale240
07-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Here is the thread.

READ THIS before you mail that thing off to the manufacturer!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=108720

HAHAHA....It worked. I was totally lagging on sending the lower in too because I would've had to taken the parts kit off...you saved time and money! I will remember this forever. Damn you buffer tube!!!!

Thanks all of you...now I know what to do if I ever have to return a lower also!:D

CHS
07-23-2008, 12:39 AM
Yup, that was me.

What's really funny is this was a spikes lower also. Yes, it has nothing to do with the lower, it's all the buffer tube, but it is a funny coincidence.

jandmtv
07-23-2008, 1:20 AM
Glad you got it worked out.

I was gona say, Spikes makes very nice lowers and uppers. I was surprised when I read "defective spikes lower"