PDA

View Full Version : Help! Rail covers

Dwikkles
07-22-2008, 2:28 PM
I just got my Magpul rail covers in the mail and they dont fit.

Im trying my damnedest to squeeze them on there but no luck.

I have a Stag Arms 2HT upper with Samson rails.

Any advice?

USN CHIEF
07-22-2008, 2:30 PM
A lil bit of oil maybe. Do any of them fit on any of the other rails? Have a stronger buddy try to put them in place maybe..?

savasyn
07-22-2008, 2:32 PM
Use a small flat blade screwdriver to get them started on one end and then to help them get unstuck every few notches. I recently went through the same thing and have had good luck with that method.

Bruce3
07-22-2008, 2:34 PM
soak them in some boiling water for a minute then try it

mrjones98
07-22-2008, 2:40 PM
It also helped me to get just a corner and a few centimeters of one side on first, then the other corner. Then it was a matter of wiggling it on. Great covers once you get them on!

gcvt
07-22-2008, 2:40 PM
Yup, heating them up works.

Dwikkles
07-22-2008, 2:43 PM
Ok ima try a little harder :sweatdrop:

Thanks guys

Heiko
07-22-2008, 3:16 PM
Ok ima try a little harder :sweatdrop:

Thanks guys

Let me know how this turns out. Assuming I decide to keep my 2HT, rail covers are next and if I'm in for a wrestling match I might try another brand. Anyone have an easier time with Tango Down covers?

Ballistic043
07-22-2008, 3:18 PM
use boiling water or a hair dryer to loosen them up. then use the blunt end of a tooth brush or comb to push them on and pry them off when necessary. the black ones are hard to work with when they are new but after a few tries you should have no problems using your finger to "peel" them.

if the rail is manufacured right then you wont solve anything by trying another. they will all fit the same 1913 picatinny slots.

aplinker
07-22-2008, 3:31 PM
Tight is good with rail covers. Bending one side of the attachment helps. So does heating. Just keep working at it. It will eventually go on.

I wouldn't suggest getting TangoDown rail covers, Heiko. They're solid plastic, less grippy (magpul are textured and a bit rubbery) and thicker.

domokun
07-22-2008, 3:36 PM
My FFL saw me trying to test fit my new Magpul rail covers while over at his place of business and quickly suggested that I put them outside in the hot sun for a few minutes to soften them up because I was having the same issue. :)

Dwikkles
07-22-2008, 4:12 PM
Boiling worked perfect.

And I didnt even "slide" them on. I just peeled the edges apart while pressing on the back bone of it with my thumbs and it popped right on there.Still tight too.

Thanks alot guys.They feel awesome.

aplinker
07-22-2008, 4:14 PM
Boiling worked perfect.

And I didnt even "slide" them on. I just peeled the edges apart while pressing on the back bone of it with my thumbs and it popped right on there.Still tight too.

Thanks alot guys.They feel awesome.

I must have missed the part where you were sliding them on, but most rail covers do NOT slide on (KAC and TangoDown are exceptions).

gcvt
07-22-2008, 4:14 PM
Glad it worked out.

Bruce3
07-22-2008, 4:20 PM
could you post a pic of them on your 2HT? i was thinking about getting some for my 2HT, thanks!

odysseus
07-22-2008, 4:54 PM
Sorry a little divergent here, but I am putting together another upper: Which one is pretty much the better manufaturer: YHM, MI, or Daniel?

Ballistic043
07-22-2008, 5:24 PM
are you talking about rails?

cheap and rock solid=YHM

mid price looks awesome and works well=MI

higher priced, lighter weight: Daniel

scfast
07-22-2008, 5:34 PM
Magpul rail covers are easy lay them on top of the rail pull up on the edges or Wings on both sides at the same time at the top of the rail cover and push down no force needed and work your way down the rail they snap right on....easy as pie...no hurt fingers no boiling and most important no screwdrivers...

technique
07-22-2008, 5:39 PM
microwave!!!!!

steve2071
07-23-2008, 3:51 PM
1. Ensure weapon is unloaded.
2. Place weapon in lap
3. Hook the lip that is closest to you onto the rail
4. Grab the other side and pull as if you were trying to stretch the other end of the panel over the rail.
5. The panels will hook over and snap in.

Repeat for opposite side.

scfast
07-23-2008, 5:02 PM
k.i.s.s i dont get whats so hard about these...its easy as can be...don't need to do anything special...

Mississippi
07-23-2008, 10:38 PM
The ladder covers are really pretty easy yo put on as long as your rails are milspec. I believe the OP said his was.

I just bought some of the new magpul covers that snap together and they ROCK!

badicedog
07-24-2008, 4:22 AM
a little elbow grease and patience worked for me