PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to use original FCG in AK build?

scotthmt
07-22-2008, 2:09 PM
Would there be any way to retain the original FCG in a romy build and still be 922r compliant? say if i take off the muzzle break, use a MMG, use a Tapco stock, and a US made railed forward grip.

scotthmt
07-22-2008, 2:29 PM
plus a tapco gas piston?

SunriseF150
07-22-2008, 2:39 PM
Would this be considered a US part? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=105108759

They basically take the original bolt carrier and cut the handle off and reweld it onto the other side.

scotthmt
07-22-2008, 2:43 PM
I dont think so, but I am not sure.

So far I have
tapco gas piston
US made muzzle break
MMG (possibly)
Tapco Buttstock
Railed foregrip (possibly)
NDS receiver

Hm i think thats 6, I could possibly leave the MMG off and it'd still be okay I think...

Bowser
07-22-2008, 2:46 PM
I thought with the MMG you couldn't have a vertical forward grip.

oaklander
07-22-2008, 2:47 PM
You can leave the MMG grip off - it's what you take off that counts. . .

I would ditch the tapco gas piston anyways and replace it with a tapco G2 FCG.

The stock triggers are sometimes not really that great.

I dont think so, but I am not sure.

So far I have
tapco gas piston
US made muzzle break
MMG (possibly)
Tapco Buttstock
Railed foregrip (possibly)
NDS receiver

Hm i think thats 6, I could possibly leave the MMG off and it'd still be okay I think...

scotthmt
07-22-2008, 2:59 PM
the gun already has the tapco piston so thats a +, and I dont have the cash right now for a G2 trigger group, Im trying to make this compliant out of what I already have. hopefully i'll get it all together tonight and take some pics.

ar15barrels
07-22-2008, 4:01 PM
I don't think 922(r) is the main problem.
The main problem is that the original fire control parts are machinegun parts... ;)

Bladewurk
07-22-2008, 4:34 PM
people use the original meaning import FCG in AK pistols all the time..but most of the Romy kits lack the required proper parts,you used to be able to buy the import sleeved Disconnector Semi FCG for about $5 from ARSENAL or Century..most are long gone

scotthmt
07-22-2008, 4:38 PM
what if a FA disconnector is used and with the tail chopped off? is this a no no?

ar15barrels
07-22-2008, 4:49 PM
what if a FA disconnector is used and with the tail chopped off? is this a no no?

I would think that with the tail cut off, it's no longer a FA disconnector in function.
I think the issue is merely possessing the proper FA parts when you have a complete gun that they would fit into.

PolishMike
07-22-2008, 5:04 PM
I would think that with the tail cut off, it's no longer a FA disconnector in function.
I think the issue is merely possessing the proper FA parts when you have a complete gun that they would fit into.

They technically wouldn't fit in because of the lack of the extra fcg hole. No way to run it in auto.

To OP: Your going to have to shell out the $20 for an FCG. Sucks but its necessary. I wouldnt try to use the original parts. Even if you do get them to work it will not be worth the effort nor the possible legal worries.

ar15barrels
07-22-2008, 5:05 PM
No AK dias?

PolishMike
07-22-2008, 5:07 PM
No AK dias?

que?

ar15barrels
07-22-2008, 5:07 PM
que?

dias: drop in auto sear

grammaton76
07-22-2008, 5:09 PM
Just have some patience and save the $40 for a Tacpo G2. It just isn't worth the hassle or complications.

If you're REALLY strapped, btw, you could consider removing the wooden handguard and wooden gas system cover. That would get you a compliance point (lack of imported parts), but it'd look ugly and risk burning your hands.

scotthmt
07-22-2008, 6:12 PM
looks like I'm shelling out the cash for a g2. :(

The gun has forward railed handguards that do count towards compliance parts so far there is
NDS receiver
tapco gas piston
tapco black stock
MMG
USmade 74 style break

Am I close to beating the 922r game? Or would a G2 trigger still be needed?

grammaton76
07-22-2008, 6:23 PM
http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

Running your numbers through that, looks like you're already compliant anyway. This is as long as your railed handguards replaced both the upper and lower handguard, that is. Unless you've replaced both, you don't get to count handguards as a part.

But I'd still do a G2 anyway. Messing with potentially uninformed LEOs who know enough to know it's not a G2, and may assume it's full auto, just isn't worth it to me. Your mileage may vary.

scotthmt
07-22-2008, 7:05 PM
railed handguards replace both upper and lower handguards, Now shall i post some pictures? :D

scotthmt
07-22-2008, 7:10 PM
http://i35.tinypic.com/11gt2bt.jpg

motorhead
07-23-2008, 8:29 AM
you can use the original fcg. you need to buy or make a spacer to replace the hammer retarder and use a g or cut disconnector. this assumes you don't believe in constructive possession (or the tooth fairy). i'm planning to do this on my current build as i have enough compliance parts w/o the fcg and am tired of filing tapco hammers.
that bolt carrier could be 1, 2, or none. if it's us made it's 1(not modded foreign), if the gas piston is us it's 2. if it's modified foreign parts it's none.

NeoWeird
07-23-2008, 4:53 PM
No AK dias?

There is both an AK DIAS and LL, but the LL works in reverse of the way the AR LL works.

The MAIN problem with the FA FCG in a standard AK is not the missing hole but the larger rails. They won't even fit in the receiver if I'm not mistaken, without modifying it into a FA receiver, at which point the FCG is the least of your worries.

People modify the surplus FCG for their guns all the time, in fact some people HAVE to if they have imported guns that get broken triggers without having to legally replace a bunch of different parts to play the 922r game.

The downside is the surplus FCG SUCKS. Like, royally. So unless it's something you HAVE to do, upgrading, and yes it's a huge upgrade, to any of the US made triggers is a huge plus. Besides, you get the option of a double hook trigger that way too! :D

ar15barrels
07-23-2008, 4:59 PM
The MAIN problem with the FA FCG in a standard AR is not the missing hole but the larger rails. They won't even fit in the receiver if I'm not mistaken, without modifying it into a FA receiver, at which point the FCG is the least of your worries.

I think you meant to type "AK" because M16 parts drop right into AR lowers.

NeoWeird
07-23-2008, 5:05 PM
There you go, you dirty spell nazi. :p

ar15barrels
07-23-2008, 5:12 PM
There you go, you dirty spell nazi. :p

In that particular case, one letter can make a world of difference.