PDA

View Full Version : Be careful: accidental bump fired my RPK

tteng
07-22-2008, 1:36 PM
Happened to me for the first time w/ any semi-auto rifle. Two rounds cycled before I let up the trigger. I didn't know what it was until I looked it up.

Be aware this can happen if you lean hard into the butt stock(sand bag under forearm stock), grip the butt stock w/ your off hand, slow-squeeze the trigger without a firm grip (for I have a thumb-hole filled stock).

Warning: don' try this. This info is for you not to get into trouble accidentally.

CHS
07-22-2008, 4:33 PM
So wait, is it a bump-fire or a slam-fire? Bump-firing is fine and is just a factor of your grip + recoil and doesn't mean anything is wrong with the firearm.

If there's something wrong with the FCG and it's actually slam-firing or otherwise going full-auto, then you have a problem.

Josh3239
07-22-2008, 4:40 PM
Ya, it sounds like you bump fired. All bump firing is, is basically pushing the trigger of a semi auto rifle rapidly. That is not illegal as the rifle is still firing 1 bullet per 1 pull of the trigger.

If it is slam firing, which means one pull of the trigger fires more than one bullet. Then that is a malfunction that MUST be corrected IMMEDIATELY before using the rifle again.

RedDawn
07-22-2008, 4:45 PM
While bump firing is legal, it may not be permitted at shooting ranges. Perhaps tteng is simply warning others so they are not kicked out of ranges for an accidental bump fire.

packnrat
07-22-2008, 9:29 PM
do not forget if it was a slam fire you will go to jail if found out...
so this was just a case of bump fire.. all happy and just a loss of ammo.

.:TFH: