PDA

View Full Version : Unregistered Weapons

5hundo
07-22-2008, 1:20 PM
I searched for a similar topic but couldn't find one that answered my question:

If you have an OLL weapon that you bought a long time ago and it is not registered (ie: there is no data on the weapon in the system such as record of sale, or anything) can the police take it if they happen to catch you with it?

Guntech
07-22-2008, 1:21 PM
No registration, no record, no evidence, no problem :)

sloguy
07-22-2008, 1:24 PM
is it a oll or is it a named rifle? your question is wishywashy. refer to the aw flow chart.

mltrading
07-22-2008, 1:24 PM
What do you mean "not registered"?

If you are talking about the CA AW ban, you might be in trouble. If I were you, I'd keep low low low low profile and destroy it immediately.

If you are talking about the OLL after year 2004/2005, how come you got it not through FFL dealer(s)? Don't tell me that you "found" it in the dersert.:D

Guntech
07-22-2008, 1:26 PM
Too late I got your IP and I'm going to call the BATF if you don't give it to me so I can dispose of it for you

5hundo
07-22-2008, 1:33 PM
What do you mean "not registered"?

If you are talking about the CA AW ban, you might be in trouble. If I were you, I'd keep low low low low profile and destroy it immediately.

If you are talking about the OLL after year 2004/2005, how come you got it not through FFL dealer(s)? Don't tell me that you "found" it in the dersert.:D

I'm referring to my BWK-92...

I've had it for years but it's not a banned AW and the only thing that was "evil" about it was the thumbhole stock (which I have filled)...

I had an LEO friend of mine run the numbers but there is no information in the system about the weapon. I'm just wondering if I need to put it in my name, or what...

I'd hate to have the cops seize it because I didn't pay a $15 transfer fee... :rolleyes:

gunsmith
07-22-2008, 1:33 PM
soooo, you did a ppt? without a FFL?
OLL's are a relativley recent gun, a long time ago folks simply had AR's etc.

And cops always can take any gun they like, you have a choice of either fighting it out in Court or having them pry it from your cold dead hands.

Will they take it is an entirely different question, it sound like they might and also might take you to jail.

gunsmith
07-22-2008, 1:37 PM
I'm not that sure what a BWK-92 is though.
Good luck!

5hundo
07-22-2008, 1:47 PM
I'm not that sure what a BWK-92 is though.
Good luck!

Google it... ;)

It's a Norinco 5.56mm

It's not on the ban lists and as long as the "evil" features are not present, it should be legal as an OLL...

Fjold
07-22-2008, 2:12 PM
If the Norinco was made after DROS became mandatory you might have an issue.

USN CHIEF
07-22-2008, 2:13 PM
I would just cut into a million pieces and bury it.:cool:

5hundo
07-22-2008, 2:36 PM

If that were the case, it would have had to have been registered when it was purchased, correct?

...and since it was not, the question is should I get an FFL to put it in my name or not? Right now, the system says that the gun belongs to nobody, so if the weapon is otherwise legal, do they really have a reason to take it (aside from the fact that it's an OLL)...

I would just cut into a million pieces and bury it.:cool:

:confused:

Guntech
07-22-2008, 2:40 PM
It depends when did you acquire it? If it was prior to DROS than you can keep it I know plenty of guys who have handguns from 60s and 70s not registered

sloguy
07-22-2008, 2:49 PM
If that were the case, it would have had to have been registered when it was purchased, correct?

...and since it was not, the question is should I get an FFL to put it in my name or not? Right now, the system says that the gun belongs to nobody, so if the weapon is otherwise legal, do they really have a reason to take it (aside from the fact that it's an OLL)...

:confused:

long guns arent registered at all unless they are aw. filled in thumbhole stock is a oll featureless rifle.

if they take it, then they are in error and you need to call the correct people.

if i were you, id take the filled thumbhole stock off and get a regular stock and a monsterman grip. the mmg is already well known by many cops and it would be a tad easier to clear up any mistakes. for example, if your filling job of the thumbhole stock broke out then you would be comiting a felony. the mmg helps avoid that possibility.

edit: to clarify- no serial numbers are recorded on the dros for long guns. thats why its comming up as not in record.

Hopi
07-22-2008, 2:50 PM
I searched for a similar topic but couldn't find one that answered my question:

If you have an OLL weapon that you bought a long time ago and it is not registered (ie: there is no data on the weapon in the system such as record of sale, or anything) can the police take it if they happen to catch you with it?

If the rifle is not listed......
Immediately remove any/all evil features: pistol grip, colapsable/folding stock, flash hider, etc. The rifle will be legal as an OLR w/out the offending features.

Hopi
07-22-2008, 2:52 PM
It depends when did you acquire it? If it was prior to DROS than you can keep it I know plenty of guys who have handguns from 60s and 70s not registered

What is illegal about possessing a long gun (non-AW) in CA? Long guns are not registered, nor are you required to 'report' ownership to the DOJ BOF. The manner of acquisition might be up for concern, but possession shouldn't be.

5hundo
07-22-2008, 3:58 PM
long guns arent registered at all unless they are aw. filled in thumbhole stock is a oll featureless rifle.

if they take it, then they are in error and you need to call the correct people.

if i were you, id take the filled thumbhole stock off and get a regular stock and a monsterman grip. the mmg is already well known by many cops and it would be a tad easier to clear up any mistakes. for example, if your filling job of the thumbhole stock broke out then you would be comiting a felony. the mmg helps avoid that possibility.

edit: to clarify- no serial numbers are recorded on the dros for long guns. thats why its comming up as not in record.

Thanks. I appreciate it the advice. I think I'll take you up on the MMG advice as well. ;)

ar15barrels
07-22-2008, 4:03 PM

Except that there's no registry of NON-AW long guns in CA so they would really have to work at it to get evidence against you.
He could have gotten it from his dad...

ar15barrels
07-22-2008, 4:04 PM

Incorrect.
NON-AW long guns are not registered in CA.

5hundo
07-22-2008, 4:10 PM
Incorrect.
NON-AW long guns are not registered in CA.

I think I get it...

...so, in the case of the BWK-92, since it's not a "listed" AW, it never would have been registered to anyone. Right?

ar15barrels
07-22-2008, 4:11 PM
I think I get it...

...so, in the case of the BWK-92, since it's not a "listed" AW, it never would have been registered to anyone. Right?

Correct.
Just don't configure it as an AW and you are fine.