PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 30-06

Sheki
07-21-2008, 11:41 PM
I just bought a Remington 700 30-06. I know it's going to have a huge recoil and I wanted to get some advice on how to reduce some of it's recoil. If you own a same rifle or similar caliber, can you give me some advice on which recoil pad would be good for this rifle and what else could I do to reduce the recoil. Thanks...

jandmtv
07-21-2008, 11:55 PM
you can have the barrel threaded and have a Vias muzzle brake installed. thats going to help way more than any recoil pad.

what are you going to use the rifle for? hunting, target?

Jason762
07-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Reload your own ammo with reduced loads. Other than that, a muzzle break.

Learn to shoot it, don't be afraid. Most people shy away from the rifle and usually ends up hurting them more. Lean into the gun, make solid contact with your shoulder and cheek. The more you lay on the gun, the less it can move. What hurts more, being punched, or being pushed with a fist?

AdamM
07-21-2008, 11:56 PM
Try a Remington R3 recoil pad and a muzzle break. thats what I did to mine

thefinger
07-22-2008, 12:06 AM
I have a 700 BDL Deluxe in 30-06 and it does kick like a mule. Definitely buy a recoil pad. I suggest getting a really thick pad that straps to you shoulder. Don't skimp and get a walmart pad for 15 bucks.... spend a little more and get something heavy duty. It makes shooting wayyyyyy more fun.

super six-four
07-22-2008, 8:05 AM
I used Olympic 30.06 in mine and it kicks a lot less than Remington 30.06. I put a Limbsaver slip on pad on it, but it messed up my eye relief. The muzzle break is a good idea.

Dirtbiker
07-22-2008, 9:18 AM
I have the same rifle. Just be sure it is firmly seated and you have a good hold of it. Watch the eye relief on your scope, you don't want to get "ringed" :eek:

wildcard
07-22-2008, 9:37 AM
I just bought a Remington 700 30-06. I know it's going to have a huge recoil and I wanted to get some advice on how to reduce some of it's recoil. If you own a same rifle or similar caliber, can you give me some advice on which recoil pad would be good for this rifle and what else could I do to reduce the recoil. Thanks...

Actually.. I suggest you use the rifle just as it is and don't think to yourself that there will be "huge recoil." You'll develope a flinch and screw yourself up. The recoil really isn't that bad especially if you progressively shoot more. Don't try to do 50 rounds in your first sessions.

If you must use something simply to reduce the recoil.. put on a reputable muzzle brake. Vias, badger, etc..

NRAhighpowershooter
07-22-2008, 9:45 AM
I agree with wildcard.. shoot the rifle.. some people see the size of the cartridge and say it's gonna recoil a lot... not if you hold the rifle properly. I shoot my 1903's and A3's quite regularly as well as a sporter Savage 110L in 30-06 and I dont have a problem with recoil. Granted I download the Savage rounds to 2600fps but the 1903's and A3's see mostly GI ball.

One Shot, One Dropped
07-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Well, even though I have one of that exact rifle, it doesn't make a difference. Just really pull it into your shoulder and that R3 pad will make it feel like a pillow (relatively).

5hundo
07-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Get a shooting vest with a shoulder pad. They really help...

AC Gould
07-22-2008, 11:25 AM
A lot cheaper solution is to get a PAST pad or a good shooting coat. A sandbag ( made out of the leg of an old pair of Levis filled with sand or styrofoam pellets) between you shoulder and the butt will do in a pinch. I wouldn't waste the money on a muzzle brake unless you plan to do one heck of a lot of shooting with it and since it sounds like a sporter, I doubt that will ever happen.

Nate Haler
07-22-2008, 12:01 PM
I just bought a Remington 700 30-06. I know it's going to have a huge recoil

"Huge recoil"? Hardly.

You need to keep your perspective, friend. And maybe you should buy a .223 or a .243 bolt rifle instead.

Why a .30-06 in particular?

As to "huge recoil", imagine a 6.75 lb Rem 700 chambered in .375 H&H magnum, shooting 300 grain Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer loads. That's some stout recoil there. But it pales compared to the .460 Weatherby Mag, or a doube barreled .600 Nitro.

ar15barrels
07-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Don't shoot it from a bench.
Stand up or shoot it rested on a bench, but don't get your body solid to the bench or ground.
Let your body float in recoil.

ViPER395
07-22-2008, 1:33 PM
Hold it tight and don't be a wuss.

That's the best recoil reducer around.

Timberland
07-22-2008, 2:21 PM
Hold it tight and don't be a wuss.

That's the best recoil reducer around.

Thats the real advice, and dont be a heman and keep shooting once the pain starts, your just wasting ammo, and hurting yourself.

ar15barrels
07-22-2008, 2:28 PM
<creatine>
Feel the pain.
Love the pain.
</creatine>

Timberwolf
07-22-2008, 3:16 PM
If you're already thinking that the 30-06 you just bought has a "huge recoil" you best sell is now and get something else as in your mind its a pounder and no matter what you do you'll flinch. By the way a 30-06, even in a straight stocked Savage, is not that bad and if you think so maybe you should explore a lesser caliber until you develope a tolerance.

Comstock Lode
07-22-2008, 3:26 PM
I've got the good 'ol straight stocked savage 30-06 and I put on an 'R3' type recoil pad and it's good to go. After shooting the little .223 semi I look forward to a gun with a little bang.

RobG
07-22-2008, 5:03 PM
Yor first mistake was buying a gun, presumably without prior experience, that you already feel is going to be too much for you. Second, a wood stocked scoped, '06 isn't what I would call a "mule" to shoot but, each has their own tolerance to recoil. I would go with AR's advice; shoot off hand, standing, without a scope to complicate things and/or nick you during recoil. I believe there are also some reduced recoil loads available that you can try. A Limbsaver pad will also add to your comfort.

shellyzsweet
07-22-2008, 5:10 PM
I got a remington 30.06 I remember buying it and someone said "thats got a big recoil" -I said "I'll handle it!" and i did, its not as bad as some people want you to think!
-if you really want recoil....try a stock m44 with a metal but plate on your shoulder....that kicks a lot harder than a remington 30.06
-grip it tight, shoulder it right and if you shoot enough you will get used to it. Also in the future, don't buy a gun that you think is gonna be too much for you, try it out before you buy it.

ar15barrels
07-22-2008, 5:11 PM
try it out before you buy it.

sage advice right there... ;)

Fjold
07-22-2008, 5:29 PM
The PAST recoil shields help, I use one when I shoot my 300 and 375 magnums off the bench all the time.

Also start with lighter weight bullets. Try the 130 and 150 grain loads first and slowly work up to heavier loads as you get more used to it. As you shoot more and more you will learn how to handle the recoil and it will bother you less and less.

If you are shooting off of a bench, make it easier on yourself by getting in a good shooting position.

Use a tall front rest and raise it up until your back is straight. If you have to hunch forward to get your eye in the right position it will hurt you a lot more. If you sit up straighter your body can roll backwards easier and spread the recoil over a longer period, which will make it feel less severe.

sorensen440
07-22-2008, 10:25 PM
as far as recoil if you have a tough time with it you can always add a limbsaver pad
I added one to my 416 Rem and that made it way more shootable

motorhead
07-23-2008, 8:14 AM
mercury buffer.

byrom1212
07-23-2008, 8:44 AM
I have the same rifle in .308 and I put the jp break on it and it kicks like a .223.

Two Shots
07-23-2008, 8:52 AM
What range are you going to shoot at? Maybe another Calgunner could shoot with you and help out with some helpful instructions. I had a friend who wouldn't shoot his rifle, Until I shot it so he could see how much of a kick it generated.