PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to...

beast
07-21-2008, 8:56 PM
Leave one of my handguns at my parents house for them to use in case of emergency? Or should we transfer the firearm registration to one of my parents? They have clean records by the way. Thanks.

762cavalier
07-21-2008, 9:04 PM
handguns can be loaned for a period of 30 days. After that You may just want to transfer one to them. all it takes is filling out the DOJ intrafamilial transfer form.

Librarian
07-21-2008, 9:06 PM
Leave one of my handguns at my parents house for them to use in case of emergency? Or should we transfer the firearm registration to one of my parents? They have clean records by the way. Thanks.

Loans are supposed to be 30 days at most. You could just give them one they like, and borrow it back.

The one you transfer to also needs the Handgun Safety Certificate.

Then you can all go to the range together! "Hi, Dad, you're buying the ammo today, OK?" :)

ETA there's no rule saying you can't store one of your guns at your parents' house, if your safe is getting full. That they have access to it is just courtesy to them. My kids store lots of stuff at my house. I wish they'd move all the way out, but I do get to see them when they need something.