View Full Version : What is THE BEST .22LR ammo?

07-21-2008, 7:32 PM
Since they are cheap, I may as well use some good stuff...

Altho it is for my daughter's toy GSG-5.

What are some of the BEST .22LR? "Accurate" stuff..... "Match grade" stuff....

I know I want jacketted rounds. (or... maybe not???)

What grains? And... what's the deal with all those... "high velocity", "supersonic" etc...???

07-21-2008, 7:59 PM
cci green tag

c good
07-21-2008, 8:00 PM
I've had good luck with the Winchester Super X, X22LR, 40 gr., round nose, copper washed. It's super clean, reliable, and accurate. It's gotten a little pricey lately. Approx. $25.00 per 500 round brick but worth it. It runs perfectly in every .22 LR weapon I own. HTH c good

07-21-2008, 9:31 PM
Eley Match was what I used for small-bore competition, the price has gone up a bit in the last 20 plus years though.

AC Gould
07-21-2008, 9:40 PM
There is NO cheap 22 match ammo...just stuff that is somewhat less expensive than Eley or Lapua. I've been using SK Standard Plus and SK Match ( made by Lapua in Germany) with great success... Almost as good as Eley Black for about 1/2 the price. One thing to watch out for is match ammo is standard velocity ( about 1050 fps) and may not work well in a semi-auto.

07-22-2008, 8:42 AM
CTD now has Wolf Match in stock. BADASS ammo. Goooood shiznit for the price, and even for more than its price. It's been really tough to find lately, but I just got the email from them the other day saying its back. I got the email one day after finding five thousand rounds of SK plus, which is the same thing in different packaging, so I don't know if I have the cash left to stock up any more...

I shoot CCI MiniMags out of my MkII because it doesn't seem to like much else. I shoot the Wolf Match out of my 10/22's because it is SUPER accurate and consistent.

When I let other people shoot the rifles, I just use the bulk pack stuff to save myself a bunch of money. Fifty rounds of Wolf Match cost the same as three hundred rounds of federal bulk.

If its for just plinking, I'd stick with bulk pack stuff to save about four bucks a box.

07-22-2008, 8:59 AM
Eley Match Semi-auto is made to function in SA .22s
RWS R-50 has given me 1/4 inch groups at 75 yards in Volquartsens

for mortals, Green tag (fresh, as older tag sweats lube down to bullet head and won't feed in Semi-autos as well as it does in bolts.

07-22-2008, 9:00 AM

These are 100 yard targets.

Gator Monroe
07-22-2008, 9:12 AM
Blazer (When on sale at Big 5):chris:

07-22-2008, 9:25 AM
for my semiauto .22lrs, i now use Aguila Interceptor 40gr. although, i was quite satisfied with all things CCI as well.