PDA

View Full Version : New to gun net

jak3488
07-21-2008, 1:54 PM
My favorite (He Hunts with us) nephew just graduated from collage. As his Uncle I want to give him a Ruger Mini 14 for a graduation present. Do we have to do all paperwork or can I gift it to him somehow. The gun is currently completely legal and registered to me. Thank you for any advice. Jeff

CSACANNONEER
07-21-2008, 2:00 PM
Go through a FFL. Don't do it any other way.

Librarian
07-21-2008, 2:05 PM
My favorite (He Hunts with us) nephew just graduated from collage. As his Uncle I want to give him a Ruger Mini 14 for a graduation present. Do we have to do all paperwork or can I gift it to him somehow. The gun is currently completely legal and registered to me. Thank you for any advice. Jeff

You can give it to him as a gift, but because you are neither parent nor grandparent, have to go through a dealer and do a Private Party Transfer (PPT). There's a fee and the 10-day waiting period.

Or, if your parents are available, you could give the Mini-14 to one of those, that person could give it to your nephew's parent, and the parent could give it to their son, your nephew. (Actually, now that I look at it written down, your parent could transfer it directly to their grandchild, your nephew, and skip one step.)

3 transfers @$19 each - easier to do the PPT.
No, no, no, I got that all wrong - that's for HANDGUNS. Long guns are not covered by that. Apologies. (Wish I had strike-out font available!)

Uncle gives to parent, parent gives to grandchild/nephew, all legal, all no-fee, no-dealer, no-form. PC 12078(c)(1).

And, if by chance you have magazines for the Mini that hold over 10 rounds, you cannot give/sell those to your nephew (or any non-LEO or non-dealer inside California).

jak3488
07-21-2008, 2:35 PM
Thanks, for the quick info. It was exactly what I thought but you never know till you ask. QUOTE:Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys

Glock22Fan
07-21-2008, 2:48 PM
You can give it to him as a gift, but because you are neither parent nor grandparent, have to go through a dealer and do a Private Party Transfer (PPT). There's a fee and the 10-day waiting period.

Or, if your parents are available, you could give the Mini-14 to one of those, that person could give it to your nephew's parent, and the parent could give it to their son, your nephew. (Actually, now that I look at it written down, your parent could transfer it directly to their grandchild, your nephew, and skip one step.)

3 transfers @$19 each - easier to do the PPT.

And, if by chance you have magazines for the Mini that hold over 10 rounds, you cannot give/sell those to your nephew (or any non-LEO or non-dealer inside California).

I found this explanation a little confusing.

What you need is a common ancestor (direct line, no siblings). If you have a parent still alive, that parent is (probably) the nephew's grandparent. Transfer the gun to the ancestor and the ancestor transfers to the nephew. Two transfers.

I think Librarian was getting there, but he left the "3 transfers" in, which isn't the right number.

spsellars
07-21-2008, 2:58 PM
3 transfers @$19 each

What's the $19 you're referencing here? (Since when do we need to report intrafamilial long gun transfers?)

Librarian
07-21-2008, 3:09 PM
What's the $19 you're referencing here? (Since when do we need to report intrafamilial long gun transfers?)

Oops - posted one version of this, (and my original) completely wrong. You're right - Uncle gives to his parent, no form required, parent to grandparent, no paper (and no fee).

Apologies all around. My fault entirely. I'll fix the other one, too - thanks.