PDA

View Full Version : Advice on which Bolt Gun

Casual Observer
07-21-2008, 8:04 AM
Fellow Calgunners, I come before you humbled.

I know far less than I thought about bolt action rifles. My brother is looking for one and I told him I'd try and find him a good deal. He does have a few requirements.

- .308 Win
- 20" - 24" barrel
- adjustable trigger
- MOA or better
- detachable magazine (can live without, but strongly prefers)

The stock isn't a huge issue since most models come with several choices and/or aftermarket stocks are available.

Also, given the state of the economy, he would like to avoid breaking the bank on the rifle to save some more money for glass.

Suggestions?

rksimple
07-21-2008, 8:08 AM
A stock 700 (P, LTR, sps tactical, etc) would fit the bill. The DBM that comes on most factory rifles sucks. Use it as a topstuffer for the time being, use the money saved on glass and ammo, then upgrade to a badger M5 or AICS later. Stay with the 700 if versatility and upgradability are something you desire.

Timberwolf
07-21-2008, 8:09 AM
What do you consider breaking the bank - to get all four of those requirements in a bolt gun will run you over 1K easy - if you can do without the detachable mag (at least from the factory) go with a Rem 700 in one of the varmit flavors - you can then add a detachable mag system from either HSP or Badger.

Casual Observer
07-21-2008, 8:14 AM
What do you consider breaking the bank - to get all four of those requirements in a bolt gun will run you over 1K easy - if you can do without the detachable mag (at least from the factory) go with a Rem 700 in one of the varmit flavors - you can then add a detachable mag system from either HSP or Badger.

Sorry. I should have included that. My brother would like to keep it under $1500 for the rifle.

Good call on the 700 with Badger kit. I'll look into it, but keep the ideas coming. Too many options is never a bad thing.

Stockton
07-21-2008, 8:23 AM
Rem 700
Savage
FN

Hit their websites or check through here on the FS board: http://snipershide.com

chsk9
07-21-2008, 8:27 AM
take a look at the steyr scout.

heycorey
07-21-2008, 8:31 AM
A stock 700 (P, LTR, sps tactical, etc) would fit the bill. The DBM that comes on most factory rifles sucks. Use it as a topstuffer for the time being, use the money saved on glass and ammo, then upgrade to a badger M5 or AICS later. Stay with the 700 if versatility and upgradability are something you desire.

+1

Also, if you haven't already, log on to Sniper's Hide (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php) and just start reading. You might also look in the For Sale section there (and here) for potential deals from people with rifles from GAP, Surgeon, Patriot Arms, etc.

bear308
07-21-2008, 8:40 AM
Start with a remi and learn how to shoot, you do it enough and really get it down, you'll really know what you're doing by the time it needs a new barrel and whatnot.

heycorey
07-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Here's a prime example (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=653910#Post653910) from the Hide!

rksimple
07-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Somebody buy that rifle already! Good deal.

dfletcher
07-21-2008, 11:47 AM

I know far less than I thought about bolt action rifles. My brother is looking for one and I told him I'd try and find him a good deal. He does have a few requirements.

- .308 Win
- 20" - 24" barrel
- adjustable trigger
- MOA or better

The stock isn't a huge issue since most models come with several choices and/or aftermarket stocks are available.

Also, given the state of the economy, he would like to avoid breaking the bank on the rifle to save some more money for glass.

Suggestions?

For about $750.00 you can buy a heavy barreled Remington 700. Whether you get the police type or the varmint depends on your taste and which one is the better deal. If you get the new model it will have the "X trigger which can be either switched out or as I learned last week, adjusted once you heat the screws & loosen the loctite that holds them in place. Sounds more daunting than it actually is.

Don't overlook the Ruger 77 Target. I have one in 223 and in 25.06. The 223 shoots one hole 3 shot groups all day long with Sierra 52 grain BTHP, the 25.06 is excellent also. I never would have thought I'd get that accuracy from a Ruger and they have easily adjustable and excellent triggers.

guns_and_labs
07-21-2008, 12:07 PM
For about $750.00 you can buy a heavy barreled Remington 700. Whether you get the police type or the varmint depends on your taste and which one is the better deal. If you get the new model it will have the "X trigger which can be either switched out or as I learned last week, adjusted once you heat the screws & loosen the loctite that holds them in place. Sounds more daunting than it actually is.

Don't overlook the Ruger 77 Target. I have one in 223 and in 25.06. The 223 shoots one hole 3 shot groups all day long with Sierra 52 grain BTHP, the 25.06 is excellent also. I never would have thought I'd get that accuracy from a Ruger and they have easily adjustable and excellent triggers.

+1 on the Remington, but you'll need to add trigger and box magazine aftermarket (personally, I think the X trigger STILL isn't right, but a Jewell trigger spoils you forever).

The Tikka will give you the accuracy and the magazine out of the box, though the trigger's not perfect.

Moving to the lightly used market, and keeping to $1500, the possibilities are almost endless. A Steyr Tactical just sold off our board here a couple of days ago, for example. And I just saw another one on gunbroker at http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=104252511.

X-NewYawker
07-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Howa Axxium

dfletcher
07-21-2008, 1:26 PM
+1 on the Remington, but you'll need to add trigger and box magazine aftermarket (personally, I think the X trigger STILL isn't right, but a Jewell trigger spoils you forever).

The Tikka will give you the accuracy and the magazine out of the box, though the trigger's not perfect.

Moving to the lightly used market, and keeping to $1500, the possibilities are almost endless. A Steyr Tactical just sold off our board here a couple of days ago, for example. And I just saw another one on gunbroker at http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=104252511.

I was looking at that very rifle off GB last night, know nothing about them. I have a CZ 550 with Kevlar stock and an older Win 70 "Varmint" med/heavy contour barrel, each in 308 that I was thinking of dumping for something (with some added cash) in the $1,200.00 range.

Vigilante
07-21-2008, 6:08 PM
Word.

Take a look at the Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA. It has a nice Bell and Carlson stock and is guaranteed to shoot under and inch. The trigger leaves something t be desired though.

Heiko
07-21-2008, 6:42 PM
I don't know much about bolt action rifles but I do know that my friend's Kimber .308 shoots amazingly well.

Then again you could go crazy for a H-S Precision (http://www.hsprecision.com/). :D

reggie 00
07-21-2008, 7:15 PM
I have been looking for an inexpensive starter/ friend needs to borrow rifle.

I ordered this saturday in .25-06
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/CenterfireBoltAction/XL7C.asp

They had a good article i found while looking around here:
http://www.gunblast.com/Marlin-XL7.htm

Keeping with hopefully bang for the buck approach i am going to order this glass:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000OZW3Y2/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_new?ie=UTF8&coliid=&me=&qid=&sr=&seller=&colid=&condition=new

It should have the bdc reticle.

way below his budget,
just right for mine .

Plus i have an excuse to get another if it works as well as all the write ups i found about it.

Army
07-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Savage. No need to look further.

PistolPete75
07-22-2008, 10:28 AM
+1 on the remington 700 route: any heavy barrelled version like the varmint or police model will do just fine.

5hundo
07-22-2008, 11:10 AM

- .308 Win
- 20" - 24" barrel
- adjustable trigger
- MOA or better

Suggestions?

I have a Ruger M77 chambered to .308. It's a fantastic rifle...

I've never seen one with a detachable mag, though...

I think that for your purposes, a Remington 700 might be more appropriate. There have been 2 threads in the past month that have described detachable mag modifications for Remington 700s...

odysseus
07-22-2008, 11:27 AM
While not as popular, and certainly not having as much accessories for it, I think the CZ550 varmint in the H-S precision kevlar stock is pretty good. Should fit your requirements, comes with a match trigger that has a featherlight setting and detachable magazines. I have seen those rifles in the $600-700 region, but I haven't checked in a long time.

1990GT50
07-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Not many people have brought up the savage but I would say thats the best bang for your buck. I have a savage 10fp in .308 and love it. I havent been able to shoot it like I should due to scope and mount issues but its a great gun. The stock is the obvious weak point but you already addressed getting a new one. Contact Savage Sharp Shooters for a removeable 10rd magazine and bottom metal for about $100 more and your good to go. The gun comes with the accu-trigger so you should be left some monew for a decent scope and maby even a bi-pod

Army
07-22-2008, 12:30 PM
All your Savage needs or wants! (www.sharpshootersupply.com)

Streetbeatxd
07-22-2008, 1:43 PM
Not to sidetrack this topic, but aside from having it shipped in from somewhere. What socal shops would be the best place to pick up an m700 sps from?