PDA

View Full Version : Another Carbon 15 question

depmac983ret
07-21-2008, 5:58 AM
I want something for the little lady, (5'1, 125) 51 yr old Granny. I have an Iver Johnson M1 Carbine, she doesn't like. The Carbon 15 being ultralight might work, I'll sell the IJ. Are there any issues of concern with the Carbon 15? It's got to be better than the IJ and has EBR potential! Thanks for your comments, "Mac"

heycorey
07-21-2008, 7:06 AM
While the Carbon-15 is lighter than a standard AR, the weight difference isn't significant. Mine hasn't undergone any torture testing, so I can't vouch for it's long-term reliability ... but I haven't had any problems with it at the range.

If you're going to do the Carbon-15 route, I'd suggest buying a complete rifle (as opposed to a stripped lower and piecing one together) ... try LanWorldInc or Upstate Armory; both have some pretty reasonable prices.

But honestly, your wife should be able to handle a good old-fashioned AR without any weight issues. The biggest problem people have, in terms of weight, is adding a bunch of tacticool furniture that they don't really need. Make it a K.I.S.S. build and it'll be damm near as light as a Carbon-15.

Of course, having said all that ... I've got another two Carbon-15 lowers on order. :D

depmac983ret
07-21-2008, 7:49 AM
heycorey, thanks!

WokMaster1
07-21-2008, 8:24 AM
I want something for the little lady, (5'1, 125) 51 yr old Granny. I have an Iver Johnson M1 Carbine, she doesn't like. The Carbon 15 being ultralight might work, I'll sell the IJ. Are there any issues of concern with the Carbon 15? It's got to be better than the IJ and has EBR potential! Thanks for your comments, "Mac"

Why not let her pick her own? There are a lot of CalGunners in Sac. Ask for help in selection & meet up at a local range. You supply the ammo.

The KEY thing is letting HER choose, afterall it's FOR HER. You'll never know, she might end up wanting one of this.....

http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=632&zenid=de5fb3d4da351b45617afb108a7ebe48

depmac983ret
07-21-2008, 8:52 AM
Good advise Guys. She just read your replies and she agrees !!
What about reliability issues, are there any i.e. FTF, FTE, loose fit, things to look out for?

haodoken
07-21-2008, 9:43 AM
Okay, since no one else has brought it up yet, there may be some kaboom issue with it. I have a CA-legal one and have not had any issues with it but read in other topics that it has happened before.

drawn
07-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Be sure the brass deflector is still attached before leaving the range. Bushmaster sent me a new one and advised a glue found at Walmart.

aplinker
07-21-2008, 1:50 PM
Okay, since no one else has brought it up yet, there may be some kaboom issue with it. I have a CA-legal one and have not had any issues with it but read in other topics that it has happened before.

There's no "KB issue" anymore than other ARs, however there are issues with a plastic upper if there's a KB.

If you just want a lightweight AR there's absolutely no reason to get a Carbon-15. You will save all of about 5oz of weight.

The barrel is the primary source of weight on an AR. If you want to keep weight down, just build one up using a lighter profile. For the price of a Carbon-15 you could build a very nice, very functional, very light rifle.

Bowser
07-21-2008, 1:59 PM
Bushmaster has the SuperLite barrel assembly, but I emailed them about it and they said it's on a 10 week lead time.

aplinker
07-21-2008, 2:04 PM
Bushmaster has the SuperLite barrel assembly, but I emailed them about it and they said it's on a 10 week lead time.

Have Randall profile down a SS barrel.

Angie
07-21-2008, 2:05 PM
I agree, she should be able to choose her own gun.

I am just about the same size as her, and I find that weight is part of it, but just as important is the balance. If the front end is too heavy, I can't handle it. But if the front end is balanced with a weightier stock it isn't too bad. My build is a CMMG lower, 16" barrel and collapsible stock. Fairly lightweight, easy to handle, and adjustable.

The nice thing about building your own from a standard lower is that you can add whatever parts you want (ie, a shorter barrel, lighter stock) and it can be cheaper. I really like being able to switch magazines, and having a blocked off mag well would make it a pain to load. Not having to swing the upper off when you need to put ten rounds in is wonderful...

Another nice thing is the ability to switch to a different round.... I would recommend maybe getting a .22lr upper, much lighter and much less recoil than .223, which is nice for starting out. You can't do that with a sealed magwell like the Carbon 15.

Bowser
07-21-2008, 2:14 PM
You can't do that with a sealed magwell like the Carbon 15.

There's the normal carbon-15 that's an off list lower that is not sealed up.

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/2552/carbon15br1.jpg

Angie
07-21-2008, 2:16 PM
There's the normal carbon-15 that's an off list lower that is not sealed up.

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/2552/carbon15br1.jpg

Oh cool, good to know! :) thanks! I've only ever seen the sealed up ones at Turners before.

depmac983ret
07-21-2008, 2:25 PM
Thanks everyone! +1 Angie, she read your post and likes the idea. She was happy for a girls point of view. +1 Bowser for the unsealed lower.
Now to sell the Iver Johnson :)

aplinker
07-21-2008, 2:59 PM
Can I mention again that the carbon 15 lower literally saves only about 2oz of weight and costs 100+$ more? I own one and REALLY don't think it's necessary. Use the money to upgrade the stock to a magpul stock.

My best suggestion is to have Randall profile down a barrel, make it 14.5" and permanently attach a nice, light muzzle brake (which will help reduce recoil). The shorter barrel will do a lot for the weight - especially the balance.

heycorey
07-21-2008, 3:52 PM
Can I mention again that the carbon 15 lower literally saves only about 2oz of weight and costs 100+$ more? I own one and REALLY don't think it's necessary. Use the money to upgrade the stock to a magpul stock.

My best suggestion is to have Randall profile down a barrel, make it 14.5" and permanently attach a nice, light muzzle brake (which will help reduce recoil). The shorter barrel will do a lot for the weight - especially the balance.

It can be purchased for less than you think ... check with LanWorldInc and/or UpstateArmory.

cj1026
07-21-2008, 4:03 PM
Build her a Bushmaster carbon-15 type 21. Only 3.9 lbs.