PDA

View Full Version : planning on getting into oll ar some advice

nlpro
07-20-2008, 9:51 PM
after seeing all the greta looking oll builds on this forum
i want to get into oll ar building being this will be my first ar im wondering the these oll im looking at are good ones

these are the oll i can get and the prices i can get them for

Double Star Corp Star-15 AR15 .223/5.56 Lower Receiver $99

CMMG MOD4SA AR15 .223/5.56x45 Lower Receiver $113

DPMS Stripped AR-15 Lower $109

Stag Arms Stripped AR-15 Lower $109

Spikes Tactical Stripped AR-15 Lower $109

i want to get 3 lowers all at once for 3 builds over time i want to build a 22lr 223 , and a 6.5 grendel i was told standard 223 lowers work for all three of those calibers thanks for any help as my wallet shakes in fear :D.

Saigon1965
07-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Their all good - Invest money in uppers, they'll make the difference.

One Shot, One Dropped
07-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Only thing I would recommend is that, to avoid any problems with uninformed people, get either a Mega or Spike's dedicated .22lr lower receiver (it will actually say .22lr on it)for you .22lr build.

Between those lowers, I would go with Stag, Spike or CMMG. I wouldn't go with Doublestar or DPMS, but that's just my opinion. If you look online (rainier, cws, riflegear, lanworld), you could get a Mega or something.

Also, read up!

And, remember that uppers are much more important than lowers (for performance, and I'm not saying lowers aren't important).

nlpro
07-20-2008, 10:49 PM
the uppers i have been looking at were spikes 22lr upper and an alexander arms 6.5 upper and and olympic arms 223 upper. i hadnt thought of getting one marked 22lr to help with uninformed people thats a good idea thanks

thmpr
07-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Before you get into the Grendel, advise to invest in a reload equipment first.

aplinker
07-21-2008, 4:16 AM
I think you're getting ahead of yourself. I know you're excited and want to jump in. Take some time to understand the ins and outs before you leap.

First off, lower doesn't matter. Pick a finish and logo you like - they'll all work well. There's no reason you really need a 22lr marked lower. It does nothing.

Thmpr is absolutely correct about grendel. To take advantage of its capabilities over .223 (and to make it cost effective to shoot at all) you really need to load your own.

Wants evolve over time. Build one and go from there. You'll learn what you do and don't like as you become more eduacated.

My newbie thread might be helpful (sig line)

nlpro
07-21-2008, 6:33 AM
I think you're getting ahead of yourself. I know you're excited and want to jump in. Take some time to understand the ins and outs before you leap.

First off, lower doesn't matter. Pick a finish and logo you like - they'll all work well. There's no reason you really need a 22lr marked lower. It does nothing.

Thmpr is absolutely correct about grendel. To take advantage of its capabilities over .223 (and to make it cost effective to shoot at all) you really need to load your own.

Wants evolve over time. Build one and go from there. You'll learn what you do and don't like as you become more eduacated.

My newbie thread might be helpful (sig line)

thats a great newbie thread can not believe i missed it in my search's greta advise to thanks , im only planning on building one of them at a time i just wanted to get the receivers at the same time all the different lowers that look the same to a newbies eyes were a little confusing lol , ill probably build the 223 first i already reload for my 300winmag so i have some equipment already may not even get the grendel . i have a friend trying to get me to get a 20" 7.62x39mm upper from dmps

aplinker
07-21-2008, 1:54 PM
thats a great newbie thread can not believe i missed it in my search's greta advise to thanks , im only planning on building one of them at a time i just wanted to get the receivers at the same time all the different lowers that look the same to a newbies eyes were a little confusing lol , ill probably build the 223 first i already reload for my 300winmag so i have some equipment already may not even get the grendel . i have a friend trying to get me to get a 20" 7.62x39mm upper from dmps

Sounds like a plan!

Just to let you know, the 7.62x39 can be an issue with the AR as mags are not reliable. Also, x39 ammo tends to be dirty, x39 barrels are genereally not chrome lined, etc. etc. Honestly, if you want a combloc cartridge, use a combloc rifle. Nothing beats the AK for x39.

Definitely just buy up a few lowers. :) Buying more at once has big cost savings. I like Megas. There are plenty of others out there that are very nice - roll marks/logos you like and finish are all that really matter.

Monticore
07-21-2008, 2:06 PM
The Doublestar lower was mentioned earlier as one that should not be purchased. I'm paraphrasing here, but just trying to get to the point of why not a Doublestar?

I'm about to buy my lower this weekend, and that's the logo I liked the best for the $100-ish price range.

I hate the stag and the spider, but if there is a good reason why I should stick with one of them then I am open to suggestion. My current plan is a Stag 2HT upper, so the stag lower may match well, I just hate the logo.

!@#$
07-21-2008, 2:10 PM
i think dpms is a listed AW.

PatriotnMore
07-21-2008, 2:13 PM
Honestly, if you want a combloc cartridge, use a combloc rifle. Nothing beats the AK for x39.

How are the Saiga's (I think thats how it's spelled) built in .223? Are they accurate, and reliable?
One other question, will these shoot .223, and 5.56?

I saw one of these on a web site, no pistol grip, so I assume CA. legal, and detachable mag.

aplinker
07-21-2008, 3:01 PM
I'm not sure why people are saying don't get Doublestar. From my personal experience I've had no problem with them, nor have I heard any negative issues. Really, any of them are fine - except Vulcan/Hesse.

How are the Saiga's (I think thats how it's spelled) built in .223? Are they accurate, and reliable?
One other question, will these shoot .223, and 5.56?

I saw one of these on a web site, no pistol grip, so I assume CA. legal, and detachable mag.

Saigas are great. They'll do both .223 and 5.56 (5.56 is safe in .223).

They're CA-legal. They do require proprietary mags, which is a bit of a pain, but they can be modified to take AK mags with some minor changes.

huck
07-21-2008, 3:04 PM
There's nothing wrong with Doublestar.

sorensen440
07-21-2008, 3:14 PM
I wouldn't go with Doublestar or DPMS, but that's just my opinion.

what has formed your opinion to be against doublestar and dpms?

aplinker
07-21-2008, 3:19 PM
what has formed your opinion to be against doublestar and dpms?

I prefer to remain out of prison, so I wouldn't use DPMS, either.

-me
07-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Don't order from out of state. Find a FLL that has what you want in stock and inspect it before you opt to buy. I made the mistake of buying 2 OLL from well known sponsor of this forum and others, who have a good rep. One lower (Mega Gator) was damaged seriously enough to cause my FFL to question the reliability of it after having taken a hit that hard. The other lower (Lauer) looks like a factory defect. The finish is a little off and the metal isn't uniform around the outside of the magwell, like there were small air pockets present during casting. The Gator was sent back for replacement, which happened eventually. The Lauer I didn't see until I picked it up, and although I was not happy there technically wasn't anything wrong with it - it just looked like crap. Overall I was left me with the impression that out of state vendor's don't give a damn.

nlpro
07-22-2008, 6:58 AM
I prefer to remain out of prison, so I wouldn't use DPMS, either.

i actually didn't see the dmps on the oll flow chart before thanks for mentioning its not legal lol

what about dmps uppers ar they ok ?

jksupplyco
07-22-2008, 7:32 AM
The Doublestar lower was mentioned earlier as one that should not be purchased. I'm paraphrasing here, but just trying to get to the point of why not a Doublestar?

I'm about to buy my lower this weekend, and that's the logo I liked the best for the $100-ish price range.

I hate the stag and the spider, but if there is a good reason why I should stick with one of them then I am open to suggestion. My current plan is a Stag 2HT upper, so the stag lower may match well, I just hate the logo.

Get a CMMG.. The AR logo is one of the "cooler" ones...

wikidklown
07-22-2008, 7:40 AM
+1 on the CMMG lowers
Sabre defense dedicated .22 lowers are good deal ATM at Lanworld.
Spikes logo looks cool though.

-me
07-22-2008, 11:15 AM

If your asking about the legality of the upper, all uppers are "ok".

aplinker
07-22-2008, 5:01 PM
i actually didn't see the dmps on the oll flow chart before thanks for mentioning its not legal lol

DPMS uppers aren't great in terms of quality.

Here's essentially the breakdown (for easy to find in CA stuff - some step downs are bigger than others):

Colt > Noveske (or other properly built custom - Randall, M24Armorer) > LMT (only because Noveske et al have mid-length - an LMT MRP would bump this up) > CMMG > RRA > Bushmaster > Armalite > Stag >> Del-ton, J&T, M1S, etc etc