PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun optics. Pointless or not?

Jamez
07-20-2008, 8:53 PM
A couple of my buddies have 870 express mag camo. One has a scope on it and the other has a red dot sight.
Does that really help a SHOTGUN or is that just helping the "macho factor"?
I really don't see the point off using something other then the bead and they're not distance shooting.

aplinker
07-20-2008, 9:00 PM
depends on what the gun is for. I could see a slug gun as being nice to have a red-dot on... or high-speed 3-gun.

V8toytruck
07-20-2008, 10:21 PM
I've spent a few hours looking for rails for my 870...wasn't planning on putting a optic on my shotgun until I got my Knoxx powerpack, but I would love to accurately lay some slugs down range.

I've decided to get a Aimtech mount but I am looking for a $100 and under red dot that can handle the recoil and hold zero. Been looking at the tasco propoint (aimpoint clone), does anyone have a sturdy red dot recommendation?

adamsreeftank
07-20-2008, 10:26 PM
I had an eotech holosite on an 870 for a while. I finally took it off because it was too high to get a good cheek weld, but while it was on it did help with fast accurate slug shooting at close range.

John Browning
07-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Shotgun optics are a waste of money for probably 95% of owners. First, the cheap ones will fail under the sharp recoil of the regular 12ga pump in short order. Second, the expensive ones really don't do anything a standard tritium dot can't do.

If you have to hang something tacticool off a shotgun, get a Surefire. Unless you are shooting slugs at 100 yards, you have no need for an optic.

sb_pete
07-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Put on some ghost rings and call it a day.

Holo or red dot would probably help for three gun, but in the real world it's just an extra thing hanging off the gun to catch on crap and possibly (or very probably in the case of 12ga recoil) fail. Even with slugs and bead sight - if you're having trouble hitting a realistic target at ranges between 0-100yds, what you need isn't a gizmo - its practice.

-Pete

V8toytruck
07-21-2008, 10:08 AM
I was thinking about Ghost Rings as well, but by the time I get the ghost rings and have them mounted it would of cost the same as rails + low end red dot.

Anyone have a ball park of what a gunsmith charges to mount ghost rings on a shotgun?

John Browning
07-21-2008, 10:27 AM
I was thinking about Ghost Rings as well, but by the time I get the ghost rings and have them mounted it would of cost the same as rails + low end red dot.

Anyone have a ball park of what a gunsmith charges to mount ghost rings on a shotgun?

Just remember, that low end red dot is going to go crapoot in short order.

M. Sage
07-21-2008, 1:42 PM
+1, don't get a cheap red dot. Cheap optics aren't worth it (something I've learned the hard way).

I agree that it depends on what you'll use the shotgun for. I can see times when a red dot would be handy on a shotgun.

randy
07-21-2008, 2:20 PM
Unless you are going to run in the open class in 3 gun then the optic isn't a good idea in my book.

If you want accuracy out of your shotgun quit yanking the trigger stupid!!! At least thats what I tell myself everytime a blow a shot. A red dot wouldn't help me or anyone if you are yanking the trigger.

Rob454
07-21-2008, 4:02 PM
I think its a little like tits on a bull. its there but pretty worthless. Youll never make a shotgun a tack driver so why bother trying. I shoot my shotguns with open sights and that works well enough for the distances Im shooting
Rob

ryno066
07-22-2008, 7:29 AM
Most of New York is shotgun deer hunting only.