PDA

View Full Version : AR build progress and a little help needed

al g blenny
07-20-2008, 7:15 PM
So this is what I have so far. As you will now be able to tell I know almost nothing about what I am doing. I am just trying to build this thing cheap so I have purchased most of the parts used on Calguns (you might recognize some of the parts if you check the "parts for sale" forum regularly.)

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/algblenny/IMG_0512.jpg

So I have these parts
Lower receiver
Upper receiver
Hand guard
Stock
Parts kit (most of it is installed)
Scope mounting rail for upper
(laser/light is for handgun. It's only on there for looks.)
Here are my questions. What else do I need besided the barrel? I know I need the parts for the upper but I really don't know all of what I need.

I have the stock but nothing to attach it to the receiver. What do I need to do that?

The scope mounting rail doesn't seem to fit right. I have to hit it with a hammer to get the holes lined up with it and the carry handle so I can get the screw through. Is that normal? Am I installing it wrong or is it just a bad fit?

Any recommendations for the parts I need would be appreciated. I don't know what parts are better than others and you guys all seem to know your stuff. Thanks in advance.

TurboFall
07-20-2008, 7:40 PM
bolt and carrier group, charging handle :)

aplinker
07-20-2008, 7:55 PM
yikes, quite franken-ar....

You need:
Bolt carrier group
charging handle
barrel
front sight base (or gas block)
muzzle device (if desired)
gas tube
A2 buffer tube
buffer spring
buffer

I would most definitely get a new upper (flat-top) or dump that stock for a collapsible. That stock is best suited for a precision rifle.

The fit of that scope mounting rail should be very tight. In the end, it's really not the best solution, though. Get a flat top.

One Shot, One Dropped
07-20-2008, 8:02 PM
All the nuts to attach the barrel
Gas Block
Front Sight (or optic)
Muzzle Device (Birdcage, etc)
Magazine Lock (Prince-50, Bullet Button, Pinned Mag)
Spring and Buffer Tube
Bolt and Carrier Group
Charging Handle

JagerTroop
07-20-2008, 9:22 PM
I would most definitely get a new upper (flat-top) or dump that stock for a collapsible. That stock is best suited for a precision rifle.

If you're gonna take this advice... 1st in line for the stock (if you're selling it):D

aplinker
07-21-2008, 3:24 AM
All the nuts to attach the barrel

Barrel nuts are part of the rail system. If he were installing a standard handguard then he'd need a barrel nut and delta ring assembly.