PDA

View Full Version : CARBON-15 NON-CA TYPE

gordoe
07-20-2008, 3:19 PM
Is it fine to get a Carbon-15 (With the open magwell) and bullet button it will it be safe, since the Carbon-15 isn't on the list?

heycorey
07-20-2008, 3:31 PM
I sure hope so ... I've already got one and two more on order.

Hopi
07-20-2008, 3:41 PM
If it is not listed by name, the receiver is legal. The bullet button will allow you to add evil features to the receiver. When using the bullet button on an unlisted receiver, make sure to not use a magazine that has a capacity that exceeds 10 rounds.

READ THE FLOW CHART
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

aplinker
07-20-2008, 4:43 PM
It's not listed, therefore you can treat it as any other OLL

gordoe
07-20-2008, 7:30 PM
Well there's a CA-type Carbon 15 at my local gunstore. Does anyone know of anyone who has dremeled the mag well and made it an bullet buttoned rifle? How does that work out.

Hopi
07-20-2008, 7:33 PM
Well there's a CA-type Carbon 15 at my local gunstore. Does anyone know of anyone who has dremeled the mag well and made it an bullet buttoned rifle? How does that work out.

It will work just fine. IIRC, a member or two did that, but there are much better alternatives. If you must have a Carbon, then the dremel job will function.

Why are you set on this model? I would recommend holding off on that purchase until you read a little more here and browse the picture threads.

aplinker
07-20-2008, 8:59 PM
It will work just fine. IIRC, a member or two did that, but there are much better alternatives. If you must have a Carbon, then the dremel job will function.

Why are you set on this model? I would recommend holding off on that purchase until you read a little more here and browse the picture threads.

I'm confused, too. There's no reason to get a Carbon-15 unless you intend to build an ultralight rifle.

steve2071
07-21-2008, 2:05 AM
Kind pricey for an OLL, but here ya go:

http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=37

heycorey
07-21-2008, 7:11 AM
Love the ColdWarShooters ... but I'd suggest checking with LanWorldInc or Upstate Armory on their price for one.

haodoken
07-21-2008, 9:39 AM
A little off topic, but has anyone tried a Ciener .22 kit in a Non-CA Carbon-15 AR? I know that the upper is somewhat proprietary.

Josh3239
07-21-2008, 9:45 PM
Does anyone know of anyone who has dremeled the mag well and made it an bullet buttoned rifle? How does that work out.

I did that. Bought one before I ever heard of OLL or bullet button, a few months later I learned and decided to dremel it open. A little cutting plus the removal of a rivet and the internal magazine popped right out. I did a crappy job sanding and it came out not looking good, but that is because I couldn't care less about cosmetics, I just wanted to drop the mag.

It worked out really good, I believe I had to do a little bit of extra cutting to get the bullet button to fit but once I did I had a very lightweight BB Ar15. It was a very good rifle but to be honest, I started having a major craving for the metal AR15s and ditched the Carbon. Their truly isn't anything wrong with the Carbon 15's at all, it is just a matter of personal taste.

SOneThreeCoupe
07-22-2008, 9:55 AM
I've done it as well.

It won't end up that pretty unless you're really patient. Mine needs a little more work and it'll be decent.

ARs don't look right without a 30-rounder hanging out of the mag well, even if the true capacity is only 10 rounds.

Buy an open magwell Carbon 15 and you'll be about 300 times happier. Or don't, and get something that has a forward assist.