PDA

View Full Version : AK magazine stuck in rifle

Linh
07-19-2008, 8:29 PM
I must be doing something wrong. This is my first AK (Lancaster) the magazine is chinese 10 round. I stick it in and push the relase lever forward and the magazine won't come out.

It's stuck, I pulled down, forward, etc....and it won't come out.

Thanks,

aplinker
07-19-2008, 8:31 PM
Did you try cussing at it in Mandarin?

Linh
07-19-2008, 8:35 PM
lol wish I knew mandarin.

hd0642
07-19-2008, 8:44 PM
had it happen to me at the range one time, it was because i didnt have the nose of the mag fully seated before ramming it home. i had to borrow a screwdriver from the guy next to me a pry it out. see if the front og the mag is seated correctly if not then thats the problem.

Linh
07-19-2008, 8:46 PM
had it happen to me at the range one time, it was because i didnt have the nose of the mag fully seated before ramming it home. i had to borrow a screwdriver from the guy next to me a pry it out. see if the front og the mag is seated correctly if not then thats the problem.

Yes that's it so how did you pry it....which way etc....

hd0642
07-19-2008, 8:48 PM
i cant remember but im pretty sure i pryed it from the release side, try getting the screwdriver inbetween the release and the mag catch and it should come out. always make sure you seat the front end of the mag before sending it home.

TonyM
07-19-2008, 8:52 PM
Rubber mallet.

Tap it from the back and bottom of the mag towards the front. I wouldn't pry anything.

Might need to dremel the receiver by the mag catch, or replace the mag with another. Mag to Mag, the tolerances are pretty crazy. Some fit, some wont.

Bladewurk
07-19-2008, 8:53 PM
Rubber mallet.

Tap it from the back and bottom of the mag towards the front. I wouldn't pry anything.

Might need to dremel the receiver by the mag catch, or replace the mag with another. Mag to Mag, the tolerances are pretty crazy. Some fit, some wont.

Yup AK Mag tolerances do suck !!

Linh
07-19-2008, 8:53 PM
i cant remember but im pretty sure i pryed it from the release side, try getting the screwdriver inbetween the release and the mag catch and it should come out. always make sure you seat the front end of the mag before sending it home.

Thanks a lot bro got it. Just had to pull real hard. So freakin happy.

Another question having a hard time putting back the receiver cover. It looks like it might be out of spec....should I buy another?

Whats a good website for ak parts.

hd0642
07-19-2008, 8:55 PM
good job, just make sure the front of the cover is up in the groove and whack down on the rear of the cover while exerting forward pressure at the same time

try here
http://dpharms.com/ak47-ak47-compliance-parts-c-67_23.html

jacques
07-19-2008, 8:56 PM
Those receiver covers can be a bear. It will work in and you will get the hang of it. The one on my Saiga was a pain until I got the hang of it.

CSACANNONEER
07-19-2008, 8:57 PM
Yup AK Mag tolerances do suck !!

AK tolerances. That's almost an oxymoron.

Charliegone
07-19-2008, 8:59 PM
I had one I built myself be a little tight too, so it was difficult to take out the mag. Pry it out like you would a regular ak mag. Once you take it out. Do practice mag changes. It will loosen up and be easier to remove. Trust me. Worked for mine. Feels much better now.

adamsreeftank
07-19-2008, 9:00 PM
It sounds like you may have a loose screw behind the trigger.

:D

Linh
07-19-2008, 9:22 PM
good job, just make sure the front of the cover is up in the groove and whack down on the rear of the cover while exerting forward pressure at the same time

try here
http://dpharms.com/ak47-ak47-compliance-parts-c-67_23.html

The front of the cover doesn't look like it will fit in the groove.

Mike-4
07-19-2008, 9:39 PM
I have two Lancasters and am very happy with the quality. If you're new to AK's it might just be a matter of getting the technique down. Happened to me until I got the hang of it. I can pop it off without thinking about it now. I'd be surprised if the receiver cover was out of spec. Give it some time, practice, practice and practice.

Linh
07-19-2008, 9:44 PM
I have two Lancasters and am very happy with the quality. If you're new to AK's it might just be a matter of getting the technique down. Happened to me until I got the hang of it. I can pop it off without thinking about it now. I'd be surprised if the receiver cover was out of spec. Give it some time, practice, practice and practice.

Thanks bro you're right. Finally got it. Just gotta get use to it since basically I'm used to the M-16 so switching over to AR is the same and the AK well just gotta learn.

Thanks everyone.

motorhead
07-19-2008, 11:26 PM
you'll need to get used to rocking the mag in rather than shoving it straight into the well.

M. Sage
07-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Thanks a lot bro got it. Just had to pull real hard. So freakin happy.

Another question having a hard time putting back the receiver cover. It looks like it might be out of spec....should I buy another?

Whats a good website for ak parts.

No, bend the bottom of the cover outwards so that it slides down over the receiver instead of having to stretch it every time you try to reinstall... if that's the problem, usually it's how you install the cover.

Easy way to install the cover is to put the spring guide just below the slot, then put the cover on. Hold it in place with your left hand and rack the bolt like you mean it.

X-NewYawker
07-20-2008, 12:07 AM
This is California. You're NOT supposed to be able to take it out.
:)

KTGunner
07-20-2008, 1:43 AM
I literally had to take a file to mine to get the mags to fit properly, but then again, there is no such thing as a "milspec" AK. :cool:

Mike-4
07-20-2008, 6:34 AM
Thanks bro you're right. Finally got it. Just gotta get use to it since basically I'm used to the M-16 so switching over to AR is the same and the AK well just gotta learn.

Thanks everyone.

Glad to hear it. I was in the same boat, an AR guy for the last 20 yrs. Although I still have and love AR's, last year I discovered why there is a such a strong following of Mr. Kalashnikov's rifle :) My ARs have been sitting in the safe a lot lately.

scfast
07-20-2008, 10:06 AM

try here
http://dpharms.com/ak47-ak47-compliance-parts-c-67_23.htmlThats the way it's done the dust cover can be finikey if not pushed forward while pushing down abruptly...