PDA

View Full Version : AR questions

doughboy334
07-19-2008, 6:47 PM
I already have a pretty standard OLL AR 15 I built last month, and now I'm seeing all these 9mm and .22 AR builds and was wondering what do you need to build it. I did some searching today, and found out that if I buy a Ciener kit I could transform my AR from firing .223 to .22 by just switching the bolt and getting new mags. What about building a dedicated .22 and dedicated 9mm AR? Do I just need to buy a 9mm or .22 upper and the respective mags to be GTG or will I need new lowers as well? Thanks

ThatFishGuy
07-19-2008, 6:51 PM
cieners kits work but the consensus seems to be that dedicated uppers like Spike's are better. You can use standard lowers (5.56) with either i believe. Some people just like .22 marked lowers to make it look more legit if LEO check it. From everything I've read, you just need the upper and mags if you already have a lower. HTH

aplinker
07-19-2008, 6:57 PM
for .22
minimum: ciener kit and mag
next step: dedicated upper and mag

for 9mm:
minimum: dedicated upper, magwell block and mag.
next step: dedicated rifle

The main difference with 9mm is you'll need a block that allows the use of 9mm mags in the lower. This is often best done by using a dedicated rifle (switching out the block takes time).

Personally, I don't care much for shooting .22. If I went that route I'd just buy a ciener kit. The reason people are jazzed on them is you don't need any of the CA-legal "fixes" - as you can't build a rimfire assault weapon rifle (no matter what you do) as there's no provision for doing something illegal if it's rimfire.

doughboy334
07-19-2008, 7:23 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys.

cieners kits work but the consensus seems to be that dedicated uppers like Spike's are better. You can use standard lowers (5.56) with either i believe. Some people just like .22 marked lowers to make it look more legit if LEO check it. From everything I've read, you just need the upper and mags if you already have a lower. HTH

So the only difference between my current lower and a .22 lower are the markings and the mod that allows .22 mags to fit in the magwell right?

for .22
minimum: ciener kit and mag
next step: dedicated upper and mag

for 9mm:
minimum: dedicated upper, magwell block and mag.
next step: dedicated rifle

The main difference with 9mm is you'll need a block that allows the use of 9mm mags in the lower. This is often best done by using a dedicated rifle (switching out the block takes time).

Personally, I don't care much for shooting .22. If I went that route I'd just buy a ciener kit. The reason people are jazzed on them is you don't need any of the CA-legal "fixes" - as you can't build a rimfire assault weapon rifle (no matter what you do) as there's no provision for doing something illegal if it's rimfire.

So I gotta buy another BB or go with the MMG if I choose 9mm?

aplinker
07-19-2008, 7:31 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys.

So the only difference between my current lower and a .22 lower are the markings and the mod that allows .22 mags to fit in the magwell right?

So I gotta buy another BB or go with the MMG if I choose 9mm?

22lr needs no modification for mags. The markings are meaningless.

For 9mm it's centerfire so it needs to be treated as you would a .223 (i.e., you need a BB or a MMG).

doughboy334
07-19-2008, 8:20 PM
Thanks for the info, I'm set now. Time for the fun part, saving up :(