PDA

View Full Version : Question about transferring a long gun

mxpatriot51
07-19-2008, 5:53 PM
When I was less than 18 years old, my Dad would buy all of my weapons for me (with my money).

Now that I'm over 18, if I want to sell one of those weapons that he bought, does he need to present to sell it?

Or is this covered under the whole "parent to child transfer doesn't require an FFL" thing. So essentially the rifle has already been transferred to me through that, thus I'm the owner, thus I can sell it?

Mssr. Eleganté
07-19-2008, 6:05 PM
Or is this covered under the whole "parent to child transfer doesn't require an FFL" thing. So essentially the rifle has already been transferred to me through that, thus I'm the owner, thus I can sell it?

Yep, you got it. No need for your dad to be involved.

When I was less than 18 years old, my Dad would buy all of my weapons for me (with my money).

Are you sure you are remembering that correctly? While it's legal for you dad to give you long guns as a gift when you are under 18, it is not legal for him to buy them for you with your money.

mxpatriot51
07-19-2008, 6:16 PM
Yep, you got it. No need for your dad to be involved.

Are you sure you are remembering that correctly? While it's legal for you dad to give you long guns as a gift when you are under 18, it is not legal for him to buy them for you with your money.

Technically they remained under his possession and control (lived in his house, under his supervision) Technically you could say they were his. When I was younger, of course he paid for the entire thing (6 years old). As I got older, and wanted more and more firearms, I started paying for parts of them (pre-teen, early teen years) then started paying for the entire price tag (teen years).

Legally they were his. Until I was 18, I never shot them without one of my parents there. He just didn't shoot them much as I did. ;)