PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything bad about Ciener AR kit???

Infidel
07-19-2008, 2:03 PM
I just ordered the Ciener Conversion for the AR, and for some reason after thinkin about it I feel kinda apprehensive about putting .22 through my .223 barrel. Before I try it out I was just wondering if there is anything that I should know? To me it just seems weird shooting the wrong caliber through a gun. I don't want to hurt my .223 capabilities just so I can shoot .22 every now and then, because if thats the case I'll just order a .22 upper from spikes. Thanks

jandmtv
07-19-2008, 2:09 PM
you wont hurt your .223 capabilities, and there are advantages of having either a Ciener, or dedicated (spikes) .22 upper.

You just have to figure out what works best for you. Personally, I would get a Spikes, and a dedicated .22 lower with all the evil features. But thats just me.

UncleJohnny
07-19-2008, 2:29 PM
The only thing that I've heard is since the 5.56/.223 barrel is slightly larger, the .22 bullet gets material "shaved" off inside the barrel due to the .22 not being the right size and engaging the rifling fully. It can leave deposits in the rifling and be harder to clean. But thats what I was told. Im sure someone here with thousands of rounds through one will chime in....

Infidel
07-19-2008, 2:30 PM
I think I will eventually end up going with a dedicated .22 complete upper and lower. However, for now after reading some more on the ciener I will probably shoot it for a while till I'm ready to build a dedicated .22. Seems like I could sell it used on Gunbroker and come close to breaking even with the $150 I spent. Even if I only got $100 for it used I think I will have saved at least that much in ammo.

Infidel
07-19-2008, 2:31 PM
For the most part its just gonna be a plinker and so that I can shoot the AR at indoor ranges anyways.

BroncoBob
07-19-2008, 2:40 PM
For the most part its just gonna be a plinker and so that I can shoot the AR at indoor ranges anyways.

Try using only copper tip 22LR. Should be easier to clean then lead tip 22LR. Spikes only recommends copper tip bullets just for that reason. Best of luck with your Ciener. Yah there is a big difference between $150.00 and $850.00+ for a Spikes. Anyway you go, you'll dig the savings.

:clap:

rksimple
07-19-2008, 2:56 PM
I have umpteen thousands of 22lr through my stag 2h upper with a ciener kit. As long as you shoot a few full power 223's through it at the end of the session, there is no build up to speak of.

BroncoBob
07-19-2008, 3:01 PM
I have umpteen thousands of 22lr through my stag 2h upper with a ciener kit. As long as you shoot a few full power 223's through it at the end of the session, there is no build up to speak of.

Very Good Information....

UncleJohnny
07-19-2008, 3:41 PM
+1 ^^^

mxpatriot51
07-19-2008, 4:49 PM
Advantages:

1. Allows you to use the same exact weapon you intend to use when it counts, whether that be duty, HD, or competition. At the same time, it lets you get double your money for all the high priced gear on that rifle; as if you built a dedicated .22LR practice rifle, you'd have to replicate your centerfire rifle to get as much out of your practice as possible with a Ceiner. That means duplicate optics, stocks, handguards, etc.

2. It's cheap. Seriously, for what it is, what it does, and what it will save you on ammo (or allow you to train more for the same amount of $$$), it's cheap.

3. It's decently accurate. 1''-2'' groups at 25 yards. Accuracy varies widely depending on your barrel twist.

4. (if you have them) Pre-ban 30 round magazines are fun!

5. Can be used in all your AR's.

6. Generally does not require you to rezero at 25 yards if you're zero'd at 25 yard for your centerfire (a battlesight zero).

Disadvantages:

1. At least for my kit, it must be clean and well lubed to function properly. If I intend to shoot more than 150 rounds through it at one time, I'll have to clean it mid-shooting session.

2. When dirty, one type of jam it can have is where the empty case gets stuck in the vertical position in the upper part of the Ceiner kit. To clear the jam you have to unhinge your lower/upper and remove the Ceiner kit; a royal pain in the *****.

3. Ceiner's customer service sucks. I've never used it, but I've heard the stories.

bohoki
07-19-2008, 5:02 PM
my only gripe is that they cost as much as a dedicated .22 rifle

and why have one when you can have 2 and arm a friend

aplinker
07-19-2008, 6:35 PM
my only gripe is that they cost as much as a dedicated .22 rifle

and why have one when you can have 2 and arm a friend

Because you get to shoot your AR instead of a regular .22.

It's nice for "training" and you can trick it out with all the features.

ar15barrels
07-19-2008, 6:52 PM
The only things bad about a Ceiner kit is knowing that you gave money to Johnathan Arthur Ceiner.
That and the long throat in the chamber adapter is not ideal for accuracy.

UncleJohnny
07-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Dont know if this has been asked before, and I know it might be cheaper(maybe) to just buy an dedicated upper, but..... Mr. Rausch, Will it cost more to build a correct .22 barrel that will swap into the AR's upper receiver?

ar15barrels
07-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Dont know if this has been asked before, and I know it might be cheaper(maybe) to just buy an dedicated upper, but..... Mr. Rausch, Will it cost more to build a correct .22 barrel that will swap into the AR's upper receiver?

There are lots of dedicated 22 uppers on the market.
Any of them are a better solution than simply using a ceiner kit.
The ceiner kit is the cheaper option though it is at an accuracy loss due to the long throat.

NeoWeird
07-20-2008, 12:15 AM
2. When dirty, one type of jam it can have is where the empty case gets stuck in the vertical position in the upper part of the Ceiner kit. To clear the jam you have to unhinge your lower/upper and remove the Ceiner kit; a royal pain in the *****.

What happens here is that the case tips upwards and as the bolt travels forward into battery the case gets crushed between the charging handle and the bolt. Under normal conditions when you have to clear a jam in an AR you pull the charging handle, but doing so here just crushes the case against the bolt as it is retracted so it won't fall free.

What you do is pull the charging handle, and bolt, all the way back. With your off hand hook the tip of your finger around the front of the bolt. Push the charging handle forward slightly, which should remove tension from the case and drop it on top of the magazine. Cant the rifle and give it a quick shake to drop the case free. Now you can pull the charging handle back to remove the tension from your finger tip, remove your finger tip, release the charging handle and viola - Rock and Roll.

Infidel
07-21-2008, 8:19 AM
Thanks for all the replies. You guys have put my mind at ease, and now I will have something that the wife can shoot that won't cost me so much money.

sanddragon2004
07-21-2008, 10:54 AM
worst thing about the ceiner kit in my opinion is they are hard to find! ive got around 5000 rounds through mine with out any problems and love shooting it!