PDA

View Full Version : Can't buy Colt Buntline in CA?

ONEWEBCAT
07-19-2008, 2:29 PM
Can someone help explain why I can't buy a 70's Colt Buntline revolver in CA? It's a single shot 12" .45 and literally all the ads on Gun Broker and elsewhere say no sales to CA. Seems like a very innocent firearm. thanks -

1064chubbs
07-19-2008, 2:31 PM
Theres some FFL's from other states that just dont get CA law and they dont want to deal with it

1064chubbs
07-19-2008, 2:33 PM
try to e-mail one of them and see if they are willing to listen (some do)

RobG
07-19-2008, 3:09 PM
Can someone help explain why I can't buy a 70's Colt Buntline revolver in CA? It's a single shot 12" .45 and literally all the ads on Gun Broker and elsewhere say no sales to CA. Seems like a very innocent firearm. thanks -

You mean single action? Sounds like the seller does not want to deal with CA's rules not that it would be illegal to own/obtain here.

bwiese
07-19-2008, 7:56 PM
I believe you mean "single action", not single shot.

In either case, however, with a 12" barrel, such guns would be exempt from the CA Roster of Handguns Approved for Sale - no drop test, safety widgets, etc. as per 12133PC exemption. As such they're freely importable /sellable/ transferrable by CA FFLs without grief.

Your situation is not related to the gun. The only reason why some FFLs won't ship to CA is due to CFLC license verification - they're too lazy to take 5 min to fill out the website and print the form. However, individuals in any state are free to send firearms to your CA FFL without this CFLC stuff.

domokun
07-19-2008, 11:29 PM
If you really want that revolver, you might want to try what these guys are offering: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=111026 :)

I think they can be your middleman and then ship the revolver to your CA FFL for a fee.

Meplat
07-20-2008, 1:58 AM
[QUOTE=bwiese;1372375]I believe you mean "single action", not single shot.

In either case, however, with a 12" barrel, such guns would be exempt from the CA Roster of Handguns Approved for Sale - no drop test, safety widgets, etc. as per 12133PC exemption. QUOTE]

You are of course correct. But no matter how long the barrel is, single actions are exempt from the drop test. That is so ludicris. The single most notorious "droped on the hammer" killer is exempt. That alone shows that the law is not about safty. My S&W Mod 64-2 is not on the list because S&W is on something like Mod 64-7 now and no longer supports the 64-2 in the CA. tests. A change in sights or grips starts a new model seriese. S&W has been drop safe for 100 years but in most counties you can't get an older modle number gun on your CCW because it's not on the list. Thank god for Margi Mims, She says: List? We don't need no stinking list! If you like it, you carry it.

kleinkaliber
07-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Many sellers on the auction sites are now refusing to sell to CA due to the new law. The law is accomplishing exactly what the state wants. I can't say I blame the out of state sellers for not wanting to register with the CA-DOJ, but on the other hand, I think it's kind of foolish to turn down sales simply because they don't want to do a couple seconds of paperwork. Some sellers are advertising in the auction that CA bidders are welcome and I think they'll profit from it.

bwiese
07-20-2008, 1:42 PM
I think it's kind of foolish to turn down sales simply because they don't want to do a couple seconds of paperwork. Some sellers are advertising in the auction that CA bidders are welcome and I think they'll profit from it.

Yep. The backwoods crackerbarrel guys will eventually see all the biz going thru some fraction of CA-friendly FFLs.

It'll be much like the original OLL situation where we had a small network of outta-state FFLs helping us and who still get a big chunk of CA biz.

ke6guj
07-20-2008, 1:56 PM
But no matter how long the barrel is, single actions are exempt from the drop test.

Incorrect, not all single-action revolvers are exempt are exempt from the roster. They must meet specific dimensions to be exempt.

12133. (a) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-action revolver that has at least a 5-cartridge capacity with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets any of the following specifications:
(1) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.
(3) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled and that is currently approved for importation into the United States pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18 of the United States Code.
That is why the NAA Mini revolvers must be drop-tested and be listed on the roster. NAA only certified 2 models of of many that they make.
NAA-22LR / Stainless Steel Revolver 1.125" .22 LR 1/24/2009
NAA-22MS / Stainless Steel Revolver 1.125" .22 Magnum 1/24/2009

IIRC, there is one or two models that come with 3+" barrels and meet the length requirements, so they are exempt from the roster, but other than that, the only NAA mini's you can get are the ones listed above.

Meplat
07-20-2008, 5:10 PM
Thanks for the correction.;)

[QUOTE=ke6guj;1373613]Incorrect, not all single-action revolvers are exempt are exempt from the roster. They must meet specific dimensions to be exempt.