PDA

View Full Version : AR shooting to the right

octanejunkie
07-19-2008, 5:51 AM
Built an A2 upper with a 1:9 HBAR bbl on an olympic arms upper, darn thing shoots to the right, way right. I had to put almost ALL left windage on it to center up at 100 yards, problem was not so bad at 25 yds.

Any ideas?

chuck762
07-19-2008, 6:24 AM
Front sight could be canted or maybe the barrel locating pin on the barrel extension is in the wrong place or bent. Damaged locating pin slot from over torquing or a bent barrel all come to mind.

Sig226
07-19-2008, 8:40 AM
What type of sights?

I would check the mounting of the sights first... most likely where you prob lies.

Gunsrruss
07-19-2008, 9:28 AM
You will need to set your front sight. You need to move the sight in the direction of the error. If it's shooting to the right then move the front sight to the right. Ever so slightly. It doesn't take much to correct the sight. This coming week I will be doing the same to both my service rifle uppers. I must know that zero wind is zero wind:)

CSACANNONEER
07-19-2008, 9:29 AM
Has anyone else shot it? I've known a couple of people who can't shoot straight and alway have to adjust the sights to their point of impact. Only when you're 100% sure it's not the shooter, should you start looking for more complicated problems. That said, I bought an upper about 6 years ago that was so far out that I had to adjust it all the way to one side to get it on paper at 50 feet! Before I exchanged it, I found out the problem was thae front sight was pinned to the barrel with a noticeable cant. Are you getting tight groups with it? It could even be that the barrel is bent or needs to be recrowned.

octanejunkie
07-19-2008, 3:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies

Sig226 - these are standard A2 8/3 (bullet drop compensator) sights with a NM square front post.

Gunsrruss - The FSB is pinned to the bbl (came that way) and I am assuming it is the original FSB to the bbl, I have not tried to remove it. My WOA upper has set screws on both sides of the FSB that can be used to adjust FS windage.

How would I adjust front sight windage on a pinned FSB?

CSACANNONEER - no one else has shot this upper but me, I was able to hold about a 2 minute group at 100. Crown looks good and bbl does not appear bent, but the mount to the upper may be a bit funky. I will try a different upper receiver next week just to be sure

HOW MUCH TORQUE SHOULD BE APPLIED TO THE BBL NUT ON INSTALL? I know the notches have to align with the gas tube slot on the receiver but how much torque is required?

ar15barrels
07-19-2008, 6:51 PM
How would I adjust front sight windage on a pinned FSB?

Take it apart and re-assemble it.
There is slack at the index pin and the extension to the receiver fit.
You just have to choose where to stack that slack.

HOW MUCH TORQUE SHOULD BE APPLIED TO THE BBL NUT ON INSTALL? I know the notches have to align with the gas tube slot on the receiver but how much torque is required?

Minimum 30 ft-lbs, maximum 80 ft-lbs.