PDA

View Full Version : AK action question

armandolo
07-18-2008, 8:40 PM
Hey guys just got an AK and was a bit puzzled with how the action is. I'm used to a SVD/Tiger and when the tiger has an empty mag and the bolt is back it will not close unless I release the mag. in the AK it seems that it doesn't matter. Is that right? I just give it a bit of pull and the bolt closes on an empty mag.

On another note. I was trying to see how the bullet feeding was and the bolt had a difficult time closing all the way with the ammo. I had to push it in (with some force) to get it closed. But after that when i try to clear the chamber, I have a difficulty ejecting the cartridge. It's like stuck in there and I almost have to hammer (well i did couple of times) the bolt back to eject the round. :confused:

Wyatt
07-18-2008, 8:45 PM
you are not practicing with 'live' rounds, right?

armandolo
07-18-2008, 8:47 PM
well i started on the first run, but when i saw I have an issue, I emptied the cartridge and put the bullet back and started practising like that.

Blue
07-18-2008, 8:51 PM
Yea, AK's don't have a bolt hold open feature. Some magazine followers have a tab that works the way you were describing with the Tiger. Your cartidge could possibly be out of spec too if you pulled the projectile and didn't seat it back properly.

armandolo
07-18-2008, 8:55 PM
Yea but I did try two times with live round. When I saw it was an issue I started to experiment with the dummy. Unfortunately I had only one round which a friend gave me, which he claims he brought it back from russia.

Blue
07-18-2008, 8:57 PM
Get some more ammo. Who built the AK?

armandolo
07-18-2008, 8:58 PM
Ohio Rapid Fire its a 5.45x39, Bulgy.

Blue
07-18-2008, 9:06 PM
Get some ammo, and try it out on the range.

armandolo
07-18-2008, 9:07 PM
Yeap, just ordered 2000 rounds

Blue
07-18-2008, 9:08 PM
Yeap, just ordered 2000 rounds

Sweet, let us know how she runs. Might want to clean the barrel out real good before you head out too, maybe the chamber has a chunk of crap in it. Is the cartridge scratched up at all?

armandolo
07-18-2008, 9:11 PM
I didn't think so, but in one of the "hammering" epizodes, the cartridge ejected so hi that it got lost in my garage. I looked for it for some time but no sign. So long story short I cant even examine it.

ghost
07-18-2008, 9:15 PM
are you riding the bolt in,instead of just letting it go?
its time to go to the range for a good break-in;)

armandolo
07-18-2008, 9:17 PM
No, I'm letting it just go. But still it looks like it does not close all the way. When I try to clear it it just wont pull back nicely

armandolo
07-18-2008, 9:18 PM
Anyhow, I'm gonna try when I get my ammo. I called ORF to warranty just in case though. Needless to say I was bummed a bit

thedrickel
07-18-2008, 9:22 PM
Put a little oil on the rails and carrier. Get a rubber mallet. Use it to hammer the carrier back and let it fly forward. Do that 100 times. Should be fine after that.

armandolo
07-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll tell you how it goes.

armandolo
07-19-2008, 9:01 PM
I bought new ammo today from a store and the same issue exists. Here is another dumb AK question. When the round is in the chamber does the bolt suppose to be stuck a bit? Shouldn't you be able to just clear it by pulling the action back like an AR or an SVD for that matter? I did clean the chamber, no help

KTGunner
07-19-2008, 11:26 PM
I've had similar problems with mine. I built mine out of a Romy-G, so its almost definitely of a lower quality than yours. The mag is very important. I had a Chinese ten rounder that didn't sit well and the follower got all scratched up because the bolt hit it after the last round.

Then just take at least 500 rounds out to the range and just keep firing until your problems are solved. Bring a lot of oil with you and lube it up every now and then. AK's are not finely tuned by any means, so you basically have to beat the hell out of them until they work right. But once that bolt starts working properly it will never stop. After you break them in, they work until they melt. :13:

But if you have to beat that thing with a hammer, you might need to talk to the manufacturer. There's probably a bigger problem to address. Have you tried taking the bolt out and making sure its sliding properly on the rails?

armandolo
07-20-2008, 8:47 AM
Yes, I did, In fact it when there is no ammo to feed it works just fine (the sliding that is). Oh and i don't think it was the magazine. I do use a bulgarian 10/30, but I removed it and was feeding a single ammo from the top (AK cover was removed). Its definitely a way to tight of a fit so the round gets stuck there.
One concern I have taking it to the range is the round expanding and getting stuck there.

Flat Broke
07-20-2008, 9:02 AM
If you've tried with regular ammo, and dumby rounds, and you can't get the bolt to lock up, it sounds like you need to take the rifle back to the MFG. There is a difference between a sticky action, and a chamber that isn't accepting rounds.

I know you said you cleaned out the gun, but did you really check the chamber completely? You want to make sure that it wipes clean. Just because you don't see any visible boogers in there, doesn't mean there isn't a consistent build up that could be acting like a tight chamber. If you already confirmed that the chamber is clean down to bare metal, disregard that step.

Be careful forcing anything into the chamber, especially live rounds.

Chris

thedrickel
07-20-2008, 9:22 AM
If you're local you can bring it by here and I'll take a look at it.

armandolo
07-20-2008, 12:54 PM
thedrickel are you in bay area? I was gonna take it to irvington so they can look at it but will show it to you also. Here is an update though.
First of all, I did take out the firing pin so the bolt does not have the pin in it. (for all who are concerned)

I tried to place the rounds in the chamber by hand and they seem to fit fine. The one round I have must have been bad, new ones fit good and I can easily take em out as well. So, nothing sticky, therefore not a chamber issue.

I tried the bolt carrier back and fort (withouth ammo) with no issues.

The problem seems only when the ammo is in the chamber attached to the bolt. In such case, I need to hammer (with a mallet) the bolt carrier back a little for me to clear the chamber. Its almost impossible to do it buy hand without injuring yourself. Cound it be a bad bolt? or bad action?

armandolo
09-22-2008, 10:27 AM
700 rounds, and works like a loose dike...;)

dribbler
09-22-2008, 8:15 PM
i had this problem when i put an empty wolf shell in mine and snapcaps, then after loading the snapcaps 2-3 times it went away and everything (looks like) its seated properly. did the stripped bolt check with the snapcaps since i have no guages.