PDA

View Full Version : jp-15 upper: black or stainless

jsnby
07-18-2008, 3:34 PM
I'm getting ready to place an order for a jp-15 upper. I'm probably going to go with a 20" barrel.

My question is should I leave it stainless or get the black teflon finish they offer? I don't mind the looks either way. The stainless has the advantage of not chipping/scratching as I could touch it up with a scotch-brite pad or something similar.

The majority of my shooting is done from a bench. I occasionally head out to the desert.

uscbigdawg
07-18-2008, 3:52 PM
It's a tool. Nicks, scratches and dings are all character.

Rich

MERCULA
07-18-2008, 5:10 PM
I got the black teflon , Scratches fairly easy , Nice looking though , I didnt want plain stainless ,
Look at it this way , despite the cost , you could always take off the black and have stainless .:wacko:

randy
07-19-2008, 6:05 PM
Talk with them first the 18" barrel is pretty common in 3 gun. If you want if finished dark ask them if they can ION Bond it. ION Bond is about as tough as it gets, but not cheap.

Prowler
07-19-2008, 6:11 PM
My JP upper barrel and comp are stainless. I also bought the heat sink and it's black. There's nothing wrong with the black heat sink on the barrel, however I would get it in red next time. Just for added PIMPage. Either way, they nice and the black barrels look good too.

aplinker
07-19-2008, 6:29 PM
Talk with them first the 18" barrel is pretty common in 3 gun. If you want if finished dark ask them if they can ION Bond it. ION Bond is about as tough as it gets, but not cheap.

+1... 20" is probably longer than you want or need.

ION Bond (Melonite) is great, but if you're just using this as a range toy there's nothing wrong at all with plain old bare SS.

norcal-ar
07-19-2008, 6:50 PM
dude buy the 18" it will perform!!! you do pay a lot of money for their stuff so it can do what others cant i wanted a short barrel that would perform like a long barrel and so far i am way happy!! i guess mind f#$king my upper selection pay'd off!

Synergy
07-19-2008, 6:54 PM
This is Randall's build, here is a JP in black with SS barrel and PRI MSTN Comp in Black

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Icemedic/1911/DSC01655.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Icemedic/1911/DSC01650.jpg

thmpr
07-19-2008, 7:19 PM
JP....:D

jsnby
07-19-2008, 7:58 PM
thanks for the replies guys. Is the heat sink they offer worth it? Those that have one w/ a heat sink, would you get it with the heat sink again if you could do it over again?

Prowler
07-19-2008, 11:11 PM
thanks for the replies guys. Is the heat sink they offer worth it? Those that have one w/ a heat sink, would you get it with the heat sink again if you could do it over again?

Yes, it's only $75 if I remember correctly. I'd rather have it installed when they build it for me.

uscbigdawg
07-20-2008, 5:26 AM
3 JP rifles and no heat sink. That said, if I was going to use one of the lightweight or old school featherweight barrels then I would. However, I dig the medium contour 16" and 18" barrels that he has and frankly (to me) they don't need them.

Rich