PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for beginners black powder rifle

Jamez
07-18-2008, 2:33 PM
I'd like to start shooting black powder but i know nothing about it. What's a good rifle to start with?
I remember when I lived in Texas they had kits at Wal Mart but I have yet to see them anywhere out here. I live in the Sac area, where can I find a resonably priced rifle?

Guruwes
07-18-2008, 3:38 PM
Unless the laws have changed Black powder rifles can be mail ordered ans shipped to your door no waiting period
Try Cabelas

CHS
07-18-2008, 3:48 PM
I've got one of these in .54
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0006380210011a&type=product&cmCat=cchart_trd_blk_pwdr_rfl
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/bdsmchs/i210011sn01.jpg

Absolutely love it. Simple, easy to use. Takes #11 caps which are cheap. I use pyrodex due to cost and cleanliness, and simple .54 round balls for cost.

What's really nice about this, is I can shoot all day long with no recoil at like 60gr of powder, or I can really push things and go about 150gr to really batter my shoulder.

I highly recomend black powder guns to everyone. They really are a hoot to fire, and are surprisingly accurate, even with simple round balls.

And the best part? UPS delivers them to your doorstep!! :)

CSACANNONEER
07-18-2008, 4:05 PM
I was going to try to meet up with another calgunner next month and do a little BP101 class for him. It would probably take place somewhere between Sac and Truckee, in case you're interested. Sorry, I won't be trailerring a 3" gun but, I hope to bring a couple of TC rifles, A 12g SxS, and various types of BP handguns with me. If you're interested, let me know and I'll keep you up to date on my plans.

Fjold
07-18-2008, 5:11 PM
I have a left handed Thompson Center Renegade in 54 cal similar to the picture above that I built from a kit. I haven't shot it in 10 years though.

CSACANNONEER
07-18-2008, 5:48 PM
I have a left handed Thompson Center Renegade in 54 cal similar to the picture above that I built from a kit. I haven't shot it in 10 years though.

That's the exact same gun I biult in '87. I even took my first deer with it while it was still in the white. I browned it soon after.

dixieD
07-18-2008, 6:24 PM
I'd like to start shooting black powder but i know nothing about it. What's a good rifle to start with?
I remember when I lived in Texas they had kits at Wal Mart but I have yet to see them anywhere out here. I live in the Sac area, where can I find a resonably priced rifle?

I think it is good to start with a percussion cap rifle, and the Hawkin is good choice. They are accurate with the long sight radius, even with patched round ball.

Cabelas or Dixie Gun works is a good place to look.

Don't forget to get the accessories, powder horn, possibles bag, powder measure, cap holder, ball extractor etc. You'll look the part, and having the right equipment makes the experience more enjoyable. You will also want to get an aluminum ram rod rather than rely on the wood one that will come with your rifle.

Mikeb
07-18-2008, 8:10 PM
Yeah what DixieD said I like the lyman great plains rifle. It has a long barrel and a 1 in 72 twist which is right for round balls. I built the Dixie hawkins hunter. I think the barrel is 28" and 1 in 48 so it shoots patched balls and sabots ...but they say you start to lose accuracy at the top end with the faster twist.
BP is big fun
Mike

AngelDecoys
07-18-2008, 9:17 PM
See my sig and follow to the thread. If you feel like heading down to Manteca, there's a group of mountain men that get together 1 Saturday/month and shoot blackpowder. It's not my venue but I know they are a friendly bunch and would be happy to let you try the various rifles they bring. That would be a good way for you to get a feel for various rifles, their weights, and how they shoot.

Rocky would say he takes trades in wheel weights and old t-shirts.

CSACANNONEER
07-18-2008, 9:26 PM
You will also want to get an aluminum ram rod rather than rely on the wood one that will come with your rifle.

Yep, when I built my first front stuffer, I had about 20 rounds down the tube when I took it hunting. Well, I had buck fever and missed my first shot. As I was reloading, my ramrod snapped in two! I had to finish up with a two piece ramrod by dumping the second half out of the barrel before I could cap it. What a dumb buck. All that time and he only ran from about 75 yards to about 125 yards away and gave me a broadside view of him as he stood there watching the smoke clear. At least I'm positive that he'll never make that mistake again.:D I would recommend an alluminum one for range use and a fiberglass reinforced one for field use.

Ahhnother8
07-18-2008, 9:40 PM
Might give these a look, but NOT cheap. A whole new type of muzzleloader. http://www.ultimatefirearms.com/

ar15barrels
07-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Rocky would say he takes trades in wheel weights and old t-shirts.

:rofl2:

Aren't regular wheel weights kinda hard? (the kind with the steel clips in them)

I would assume he wants mag weights.
Those are the flat strips of mostly pure lead with the adhesive backed tape on them.

ar15barrels
07-18-2008, 11:56 PM
http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/smokepole.jpg

bigthaiboy
07-19-2008, 1:24 AM
Check out the videos on Connecticut Valley Arms's website. Gives plenty of good info on black powder 101: http://www.cva.com/videos.html

Mac Attack
07-19-2008, 3:38 AM
Do you want a modern bp rifle or a old style rifle? The modern rifles are called "inlines" and the older style are referred to as "traditional." IMHO if you want to experience the joys of bp I recommend a traditional rifle in .50 cal like a TC Hawkens or Lyman Great Plains Rifle. Both are excellent rifles, will last you a lifetime and can be handed off to future generations. I prefer .50 cal because patches and balls can be found more easily than .54 or .45 or .36 or any of the other cals. Between the Hawkens and the Great Plains rifle, I would go for the GPR but the Hawkens is a great rifle (I have a old hawk that shoots great). Nothing wrong with a used gun. Just be sure you know what to look for b4 you buy.

Deadred7o7
07-19-2008, 9:10 AM
I got a CVA Kodiak its a great stater gun for about $200