PDA

View Full Version : AK-47 for hunting ?'s

tenbrook
07-18-2008, 2:10 PM
I am going Pig hunting this weekend up in Nor-Cal. I usually use my Marlin 30-30 for Wild Boar but was thinking it might be fun to try out the AK? Will the AK be enough to get the job done on a big old pig? Also I have some Russian hollow points would those be better then Wolf FMJ?

Thanks

Tenbrook

RobT2K
07-18-2008, 2:21 PM
Public or private land? I would think if private, they wouldn't want you to bring the AK hunting.
Someone else had a similar question not too long ago, and the general consensus was to not use it.

*EDIT*
I found the thread:
Can I hunt with an AK? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=103299)

tenbrook
07-18-2008, 2:36 PM
Public or private land? I would think if private, they wouldn't want you to bring the AK hunting.
Someone else had a similar question not too long ago, and the general consensus was to not use it.

Private.....But they will not care, just curious why you thing they would frown on the AK?

Stanze
07-18-2008, 2:40 PM
4 legged, 2 legged...makes no difference. It's an AK.:43:

Gator Monroe
07-18-2008, 2:46 PM
SKS's are hog huntin guns (Especially in Texas):chris:

AaronHorrocks
07-18-2008, 3:27 PM
John Edwards said; "I believe in the Second Amendment and I think it's important for hunters' rights to be protected. It's part of my culture because of the way I grew up. But I don't think you need an AK-47 to hunt. . . There's some weapons that are not necessary for sportsmen and hunters."

:90:

CHS
07-18-2008, 3:52 PM
What, exactly, is it that you're questioning?

If you are accurate enough in 100 yards to hit the vitals with your AK, then there's no accuracy issue.

7.62x39 is certainly enough round to drop a pig or deer, but I would sight it in and hunt with a good soft-point. I think Remington (not UMC, actual remington) has a factory 7.62x39 soft-point cartridge in the green box.

Just double-check your hunting regs, you will most likely have to use a 5-rd mag.

You may look funny hunting with an AK, but who cares? It'll get the job done if you use the proper ammo and you are an accurate enough shooter.

Rob454
07-18-2008, 4:17 PM
There is no ammo limit on a rifle only shotguns. I personally dont really care what you hunt with ( and Im probably gonna get crap from others on here) but you will look like a kook to a lot of people out hunting. tAs for the 7.62 round its plenty to bring down a boar but you gotta hit it right. Also depending on where youre hunting you cannot use lead ammo so I dont know who makes copper bullets for a AK. ive hunted boar with my SKS and it dropped them just fine.

jandmtv
07-18-2008, 4:32 PM
There is no ammo limit on a rifle only shotguns. I personally dont really care what you hunt with ( and Im probably gonna get crap from others on here) but you will look like a kook to a lot of people out hunting. tAs for the 7.62 round its plenty to bring down a boar but you gotta hit it right. Also depending on where youre hunting you cannot use lead ammo so I dont know who makes copper bullets for a AK. ive hunted boar with my SKS and it dropped them just fine.

Barnes does.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/sunshop/index.php?action=item&id=276&prevaction=category&previd=3&prevstart=20

NRAhighpowershooter
07-18-2008, 4:33 PM
Back in the mid 80's I used a HK-91 to hunt for 5 seasons... and yes I did get some weird looks from the local hunters.....

a1fabweld
07-18-2008, 7:50 PM
I don't get that. Why does everyone expect everyone to hunt with something that looks like grandpa's old hunting rifle? So what, who gives a hoot if it has a pistol grip? I'm not a hunter & probably will never hunt. But if I did, I would probably get decked out punkrock style like in high school, take my PTR-91 & attatch everything on the rails possible to make it look even more evil. It would be great to video the reactions from the traditional hunters. Assuming they didn't shoot me!

God Bless The Mauser
07-18-2008, 9:21 PM
Who cares what you hunt with? An AK will kill it just as dead as any hunting rifle. Assault rifles don't kill anything more dead than any other gun out there.

M. Sage
07-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Back in the mid 80's I used a HK-91 to hunt for 5 seasons... and yes I did get some weird looks from the local hunters.....

A few of us tried M1 Carbines on white tail... failed experiment.

ZOMBIEHUNTER
07-18-2008, 11:29 PM
pretend there terrorist and blast away

Peashooter
07-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Use it and kill the stigma that it isnt for sporting purposes.:patriot:

E. Fudd
07-19-2008, 12:20 AM
I am going Pig hunting this weekend up in Nor-Cal. I usually use my Marlin 30-30 for Wild Boar but was thinking it might be fun to try out the AK? Will the AK be enough to get the job done on a big old pig? Also I have some Russian hollow points would those be better then Wolf FMJ?

Thanks

Tenbrook

Illegal to boar hunt with FMJ. Not positive, but I think HP in rifles may not be kosher (pardon the expression) either... Soft point or Barnes-X rifle bullets for big game hunting...

Fwiw, I think the 7.62x39 comes in just a tad less powerful than the 30-30...

technique
07-19-2008, 12:27 AM
Do it!!! I used an AR for "sporting purposes". So far 6.8 and .458 SOCOM. I would love to put a hog down with an AK

Python2
07-19-2008, 8:52 AM
Heh, we use .22 hunting pigs in the Philippines.

Deadred7o7
07-19-2008, 9:06 AM
353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.
(a) Except for the provisions of subsections 353(b) through(h), Title 14, CCR, big game (as defined by Section 350, Title 14, CCR) may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles

2008-09 Regs so sounds like FMJ is out.

Rob454
07-19-2008, 11:32 AM
I don't get that. Why does everyone expect everyone to hunt with something that looks like grandpa's old hunting rifle? So what, who gives a hoot if it has a pistol grip? I'm not a hunter & probably will never hunt. But if I did, I would probably get decked out punkrock style like in high school, take my PTR-91 & attatch everything on the rails possible to make it look even more evil. It would be great to video the reactions from the traditional hunters. Assuming they didn't shoot me!

I dont think anyone would come up to you and start freaking out cause you have a AK for hunting but yes i agree you will look even more stupid if you deck yourself out punkrock style and add a bunch of s**t on your rifle. Good way to give anti hunters/gunners ammo
What do you think it would look like to the average person when a pic of a guy with a AK 47 with 30 round mags shows up in the papers, and the caption reads Assault rifles massacre local deer population. Appearances are everything and public opinion sways with that.
As I said before I wouldnt care what you use to hunt, but I think it would look ridiculous to see a guy with a gun full of lights lasers scopes and rails going after a deer or boar especially wearing tight black pants and boots, a sex pistold t shirt jet black hair and make up. Youll be ok in california but if you go to some southern state youll probably get shot by some drunk good ol boy

ViPER395
07-19-2008, 12:15 PM
I hunt with a Mini-14. Gottes some strange looks...

The thing I hate, is when I tell people i'm hunting with a mini, or getting an AK clone, they ask me "Why?" or "What do I need that for?" or "What are you going to hunt with that?"

I hate those questions. I respond "To shoot stuff"

:mad:

Solidsnake87
07-19-2008, 12:56 PM
AKs have quite a bit of stopping power. I've hunted with my romy once or twice. Its not great for accuracy though, especially with wolf. However, if you are certain you game will be within 100 yards it should be just fine. The only thing I worry about when hunting with off list rifles is the chance that I might run into Fish&Game guy that is ignorant on the off-list rifle issue.

Rob454
07-19-2008, 4:04 PM
I hunt with a Mini-14. Gottes some strange looks...

The thing I hate, is when I tell people i'm hunting with a mini, or getting an AK clone, they ask me "Why?" or "What do I need that for?" or "What are you going to hunt with that?"

I hate those questions. I respond "To shoot stuff"

:mad:

I hunted with my Saiga and my SKS and i never got any looks from people. Im guessing the reason is it doesnt look like a AK or whatever people perceive as assault rifles. I guess as soon as it has a pistol grip or banana shape mag people automatically think assault rifle. The AK woudlnt be my first choice for hunting. i rather take a SKS which I think is way more accurate for longer distances. if I had my choice i woudl just go buy a M 14 and use that. if I bought one of those I would probably get rid of all my hunting rifles except my Savage ( everyone has to have a 30-06 bolt action I think its the law:D)

God Bless The Mauser
07-19-2008, 9:00 PM
The only hunting I do is hunting skunks and raccoons around my house so they don't kill my chickens. I usually just bring whatever I feel like. Lately it's been my AR or AK but before that it was my old surplus rifles, I have hunted skunks with my M1 Garand before:43:

motorhead
07-19-2008, 11:28 PM
great idea. put on your best camo and maybe a bayonet just for effect.

bigthaiboy
07-20-2008, 10:03 AM
AKs have quite a bit of stopping power. I've hunted with my romy once or twice. Its not great for accuracy though, especially with wolf. However, if you are certain you game will be within 100 yards it should be just fine. The only thing I worry about when hunting with off list rifles is the chance that I might run into Fish&Game guy that is ignorant on the off-list rifle issue.

I agree on both points. The lower accuracy could result in not getting a clean kill with the pig. An injured pig that suffers before it dies will result in both unnecessary cruelty, plus the meat will be tainted (gamier) with toxins from the pig's adrenaline. A confrontation with F&G could ruin your day's hunting.

CavTrooper
07-20-2008, 10:20 AM
The only things you need to concern yourself with is accuracy, power and legalities. Perception only comes into play on someones private property, where they can dictate your firearm choices. As long as you are confident in your firearm and ammo combination to produce a clean kill then you are good to go. The AR is one the most popular hunting rifles in America, just about every varmint and predator hunter owns one. ARs are being used more and more for deer, hog and every other animal as well. The only place that "stigma" is really prevelant is here in California where the laws are so restrictive.

An AK will be fine, as long as you are not making a jackhole out of yourself.

M I K
07-22-2008, 4:18 PM
..........., you will most likely have to use a 5-rd mag.

I've heard people refer to that misconception/myth for many years. I've often wondered where they ever came up with it.

shellyzsweet
07-22-2008, 4:40 PM
I say go for it!!! :rockon:
maybe even attach a bayonet to it

-just use soft points or Hollow points.
and have fun! :44:

5hundo
07-23-2008, 11:04 AM

My stepbrother's got a .30 Carbine that he uses on White tail. He's done fairly well. :confused:

Also, my Dad's got a Malin lever action chambered to .357 mag that he's had good luck with on white tail. I want to get a Lever Action .41 Mag to go with my Blackhawk because he's done so well with his.

What problems did you have with the .30 Carbine?

M. Sage
07-23-2008, 1:11 PM
Biggest one I had with mine is that it won't reliably chamber soft-point ammo.

I don't know about the others, though.. they might have been using FMJ. :eek:

Comstock Lode
07-23-2008, 2:28 PM
AK... good for some fun when you're back at the ranch house.

sloguy
07-23-2008, 2:33 PM

why is that?

Dirtbiker
07-23-2008, 2:35 PM
On the topic of pigs.

I have always wanted to try my M44 Mosin on a pig hunt. Short rifle and a powerful round. Anyone make softpoints in 7.62X54r?

sloguy
07-23-2008, 3:19 PM
On the topic of pigs.

I have always wanted to try my M44 Mosin on a pig hunt. Short rifle and a powerful round. Anyone make softpoints in 7.62X54r?

if not, load your own.

pepsi2451
07-23-2008, 3:30 PM
I've heard people refer to that misconception/myth for many years. I've often wondered where they ever came up with it.

I think other states have mag restrictions for hunting. I guess since the laws are so bad hear everyone just assumes we have those restrictions too.

Dirtbiker
07-23-2008, 3:36 PM
if not, load your own.

I don't reload.

sloguy
07-23-2008, 5:24 PM
dirtbiker, heres some.

http://www.ammoman.com/webstore_762x54R.htm

http://www.ammoman.com/images/WLF-76254R-SP-BX-3.jpg

edit-added link- http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=427263&kwtid=212649

5hundo
07-23-2008, 5:28 PM
I don't reload.

Winchester does...

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=MC54RSP&cart=Ny42Mng1NFI=

packnrat
07-23-2008, 6:28 PM

more deer have been taken with the .22 rim fire then any other cal....

so i have been told.:eek:

:TFH:

Thefeeder
07-23-2008, 9:36 PM
Private.....But they will not care, just curious why you thing they would frown on the AK?

The neighbors will give the land owner a big thumbs up. Make sure you do a little target practice so you can meet them all. They might even invite you to hunt on their land.

motorhead
07-24-2008, 8:18 AM
ca used to limit hunting rifles to 5 rds. shotguns to 3. it was a f&g law. that's why 5 rd. mags for older rifles have been around for years.

tteng
07-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Reloading 7.62x54R: 150gr sp, 50gr varget.

Reloading 7.62x39: 150gr sp, 26gr varget (and I'm crushing the powder w/ 2.22" OAL). When I tried the 123gr sp, 26gr varget fills the case w/ 2.15" OAL.

So for 7.62x39 round, I'm looking at a cartridge w/ half as much powder as a 30.06 or x54R round. I guess that's why shot placement is more important w/ a weaker cartridge.

E. Fudd
07-24-2008, 11:19 AM
ca used to limit hunting rifles to 5 rds. shotguns to 3. it was a f&g law. that's why 5 rd. mags for older rifles have been around for years.

I've never seen any limits on rifle and handgun capacity in F&G regs going back to the 70's. Just shotgun limits.

I think that's one that slipped through the cracks. (Shhhh!)

Other states do have limits on rifles. For whatever reason, the bureaucrats in CA never got around to it.

Back in the day (pre-ban), we used to go pig hunting w/ 20 round mag .308's. Why not? :) When in the deep brush, it was kind of comforting to have a semi-auto w/ more than a few rounds vs. a bolt-rifle...

Don't know if it's still the case, but I talked to someone from Arkansas years back and back then it wasn't illegal to hunt with legally owned select-fire weapons! Now, I'm not sure how many hunted with them, but it wasn't illegal... Kewl.... Can you imagine jack rabbit hunting w/ a sub-gun? ;)

M I K
07-24-2008, 11:32 AM
ca used to limit hunting rifles to 5 rds. .......

That must have been a long time ago.

GTXR390
07-24-2008, 11:35 AM
plus the meat will be tainted (gamier) with toxins from the pig's adrenaline. A confrontation with F&G could ruin your day's hunting.

I'm not a hunter, but never thought about that. Something good to learn! thanks!