PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Rifle AND Scope by UPS: Assembled or Not?

The Brit
07-18-2008, 10:31 AM
I have to ship my rifle and scope to Arizona for an upcoming course (and of course, back again).

Which would be the safest way to ship the combination: Rifle with scope attached, or remove the scope, pack separately and ship as one 'package'?

My gut feeling tells me the latter, but maybe keeping the scope firmly attached and wrapping it in bubble-wrap might provide a 'firmer' shipping solution.

Anyone done this before? (If I weren't going on a driving vacation of CO after the course, I'd take the stuff on the airline with me.... but I don't fancy having this kit sat in the back of a rental for a week, parking who knows where.)

m2hbvic
07-18-2008, 11:17 AM
The safest way would be to NOT send it by UPS, aka "UNITED PACKAGE SHREDDERS"! Other than destroying your packages, they also "lose" them (aka internal theft problems) within their system, especially if some of their employees think there might be a gun or similar valuable item in the package. And they always have a delivery "exception" and re-schedule your inbound packages for another later delivery date. I'm going through that right now, for a package coming just from Oregon, a neighboring state. If they deliver my package at their re-scheduled delivery date it will have taken UPS 6 DAYS to deliver a package from Oregon to California! Unbelievable! And to think that I chose UPS instead of USPS Priority for shipping my package. I've pretty much given up on UPS because of all of the aforementioned reasons.

Now I have had very good results shipping and receiving packages with FEDEX. The packages always are in perfect condition and not all banged up and torn up. Of course YMMV.

When I've shipped high dollar guns or scopes I break down the stuff into seperate parts (like seperate the upper and lower, seperate the scope, etc., so that it's not so obvious that it's a rifle in a long box) and bubble wrap and clear tape the hell out of each assembly. Then I box it all up in a box filled tightly with foam peanuts so that there is absolutely no movement or rattles from the contents shifting around. Oh yeah, wrap a piece of old leather or something strong over the end of the barrel until it's a big blunt end, with more bubble wrap, so that it doesn't start to poke a hole through the end of the box. Make sure you completely tape up the box with that tough clear packaging tape. I tape every seam and flap 2 or 3 times over. Then I wrap tape completely around the box, covering all 6 sides, so that there's no chance of the cardboard getting ripped or torn open. After all that, I then put the shipping label on it and wrap tape around the label and box some more so that the shipping label doesn't get damaged or "lost". If I really don't want to risk the items getting damaged, I'll take that taped up box and pack it into a bigger box full of foam peanuts and then tape the heck out of that outer box. Good luck.
Vic

rtlltj
07-18-2008, 11:21 AM
I'd hate to be the one unpacking any rifle you sent me that's for sure lol. Nice tips though.

IllTemperedCur
07-18-2008, 11:50 AM
UPS ground shipping is just asking for trouble. Besides the dangers of UPS's simian handling practices, any ground shipment is necessarily going to be handled much more often than an air shipment. You want to minimize the number of people handling the box, and minimize the number of times that the box is transferred from one truck to another.

heycorey
07-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Use a Storm Case (or similar). I only ship via UPS. They ship firearms all day, every day (how do you think guns get to gun stores?). Ship it addressed to yourself or to the school (if they hold a valid FFL). Insure it for it's full value.

Or take it with you when you fly. Follow airline rules and you should have no problems. Though I personally prefer to ship it ahead of time, but that's just me.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f225/heystuart/StormCase.jpg

That's why I like the AICS 2.0; fits in a smaller case (36") ... looks less "bangy" than a full-sized case.

And find some stickers that have a musical theme to them, put them all over the outside of the case .. and voila! ... now you're a guitarist in a rock-band. :D

Edit: didn't see the driving part ... dOOD! take it with you and stop off in Raton, NM!!

guns_and_labs
07-18-2008, 12:00 PM
I have to ship my rifle and scope to Arizona for an upcoming course (and of course, back again).

Which would be the safest way to ship the combination: Rifle with scope attached, or remove the scope, pack separately and ship as one 'package'?

My gut feeling tells me the latter, but maybe keeping the scope firmly attached and wrapping it in bubble-wrap might provide a 'firmer' shipping solution.

Anyone done this before? (If I weren't going on a driving vacation of CO after the course, I'd take the stuff on the airline with me.... but I don't fancy having this kit sat in the back of a rental for a week, parking who knows where.)

Personally I think the trunk of the rental is safer...

That said, I ship via FedEx or UPS about the same way I pack for the airline: scope detached if it's QD (most of mine are), bolt out, upper/lower separated, and in a hard case inside a cardboard box (or a duffle bag if on an airline).

I have not had any issues with UPS or FedEx personally, but I understand FedEx may be a bit more careful.

m2hbvic
07-18-2008, 12:34 PM
LOL, the unpacking is the easy part! A boxcutter or razor knife w/ a nice sharp blade makes quick work of cutting through the clear packaging tape.

BTW, this all reminds me of when, a few years ago, I had to pack my old vintage Pioneer SX-1080 stereo receiver in mint condition and ship it across country. This stereo is huge and heavy compared to todays junk sold as "stereo receivers" at Best Buy or Circuit City. Must weigh about 40 or 50 pounds because of the big transformers and capacitors in it! Anyway, I ended up boxing it up in my usual bulletproof way (no pun intended). Know what I used for packing material??? Pillows! Lots and lots of extra firm pillows, wadded up tight, all around all 6 sides of the stereo. Packed it like that in a box and then packed that box inside another box with even more padding. Yeah, it cost a small fortune in UPS (Oh no!) shipping charges, but the stereo arrived in perfect shape!

Oh yeah, also reminds me of the time I shipped a bunch of .50 BMG brass across country. Packed the brass up into 3 or 4 of those heavy duty 5 gallon white plastic buckets w/ lids. Taped the crap out of the lids so they wouldn't come open. The people at the UPS station even complemented me on the great packaging job.
Vic